pixeltracker

Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film

Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film

perfectliar
#1Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/17/20 at 1:18pm

Amandla Stenberg cast as Alana. Her character has been expanded for the film and will get a new song, which Stenberg is co-writing with Pasek & Paul.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/universals-dear-evan-hansen-the-hate-you-give-amanda-stenberg-1203015188/

Updated On: 8/17/20 at 01:18 PM

Alex Kulak2
#2Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/17/20 at 3:30pm

Props to Marc Platt for casting one person who won't be 30 when the film is released, I guess...

I'm wondering what they can really do to expand Alana's part. A lot of her story is told in the subtext of the show, how her after-school activities and peppy attitude is a facade to hide that she's completely friendless. It's a subtle thing in the stage show that's a really nice contrast against Evan's arc. I'm really worried they're just going to rip out all the subtlety and give Alana a song about how lonely she is.

Updated On: 8/17/20 at 03:30 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/17/20 at 3:35pm

I’m thrilled that Stephen Chbosky is directing this. He made my favorite film of the past decade, “The Perks of Being a Wallflower”. If there’s one director out there right now that can handle this subject matter, it’s him.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#4Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/17/20 at 3:40pm

And why would Alana’s part be expanded? There’s zero reason to do that.

Alex Kulak2
#5Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/17/20 at 3:41pm

Not just that, he wrote the original novel it was based on, back in the 90s. He’s clearly got experience writing about mental health from a teen perspective. I’m just worried the producers are going to cater to the very young, very loud section of the fanbase...

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#6Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/17/20 at 4:17pm

Alana is annoying enough as it is.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#7Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/17/20 at 4:32pm

They better get the de-ager ready to go, this movie won't come out for years. 

Updated On: 8/17/20 at 04:32 PM

Sampatches
#8Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/17/20 at 6:54pm

She’s basically more exposition than actual character so it’s nice that they’re giving her more to do in plot

bwayboy22 Profile Photo
bwayboy22
#9Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/17/20 at 7:00pm

Sutton Ross said: "They better get the de-ager ready to go, this movie won't come out for years."

They’re going into production sooner than you might think.

Sutton Ross
#10Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/17/20 at 7:12pm

When exactly? Because it's been a go for almost two years now and nothing happened. I doubt anything will happen this year.

BwayLB
#11Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/17/20 at 7:29pm

Should be interesting. Because Alana is one of few characters that lacked a proper closure. We don't even know what happened to her after the truth of Evan's lies came out.

Alex Kulak2
#12Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/17/20 at 8:06pm

I like to think she got what Evan thought she wanted (fodder for college application essays) but not what she really wanted (meaningful connection with another person).

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#13Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/18/20 at 2:03pm

They could probably easily shoot this film social distanced. Many of the scenes are over the phone or through text/email.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#14Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/19/20 at 11:30am

Are they going to secretly film in New Zealand?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#15Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/19/20 at 11:35am

Call_me_jorge said: "They could probably easily shoot this film social distanced. Many of the scenes are over the phone or through text/email."

Jorge. No. That's not how filming works.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Sutton Ross
Call_me_jorge
#17Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/19/20 at 1:15pm

Valentina3 said: "Call_me_jorge said: "They could probably easily shoot this film social distanced. Many of the scenes are over the phone or through text/email."

Jorge. No. That's not how filming works.
"

I’m not implying they’ll only show the screen of those messages for the film. I’m saying it’s easy to separate cast members due to the fact much of the shows dialogue is not in person. Also, they could probably easily have the actors film themselves for those sequences. There is already precedence of remote filming with the upcoming television show Love in the Time of Corona. It’s possible. I’m not saying they will do it this way, but they very well could.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#18Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/19/20 at 1:38pm

A reality show isn’t a film. Cast members couldn’t light themselves and film. They won’t do this and there’s no point speculating.

perfectliar
#19Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/19/20 at 2:37pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "A reality show isn’t a film. Cast members couldn’t light themselves and film. They won’t do this and there’s no point speculating. "

Love in the Time of Corina is not a reality show. Several television shows and films have been filmed remotely, though (Host is currently getting a ton of press for it) with cast members lighting themselves and using the specific conceit of "this is a film/show that takes place on the internet so it should look like we're regular people sitting in front of our devices."

rattleNwoolypenguin
#20Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/19/20 at 2:48pm

I'm just gonna pipe in here and say Dear Evan Hansen gives the one person of color a really one note character so if they expand her character in the film it will be for the better. 

Call_me_jorge
#21Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/21/20 at 2:43pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "A reality show isn’t a film. Cast members couldn’t light themselves and film. They won’t do this and there’s no point speculating. "

What reality show did I mention in my post?

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#22Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/21/20 at 3:25pm

So judging by Jorge's track record today, expect an announcement that this film will be remotely shot by the performers themselves wink

Alex Kulak2
#23Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/21/20 at 7:37pm

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "I'm just gonna pipe in here and say Dear Evan Hansen gives the one person of color a really one note character so if they expand her character in the film it will be for the better."

Neither the dialogue nor the published libretto mentions the race of any of the characters.

Sampatches
#24Amandla Stenberg Cast in DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film
Posted: 8/22/20 at 1:49am

Alex Kulak2 said: "rattleNwoolypenguin said: "I'm just gonna pipe in here and say Dear Evan Hansen gives the one person of color a really one note character so if they expand her character in the film it will be for the better."

Neither the dialogue nor the published libretto mentions the race of any of the characters.
"

While that is true everyone was white or white passing in the original production at Arena in DC. Second Stage was the one to push to diversify the show before bringing it to NYC in casting Kristolyn Lloyd as Alana instead of brining Alexis Molnar along with the rest of the original cast.

Updated On: 8/22/20 at 01:49 AM