pixeltracker

Elton John's Tammy Faye Bakker Musical Aims for a 2021 Premiere

Elton John's Tammy Faye Bakker Musical Aims for a 2021 Premiere

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#2Elton John's Tammy Faye Bakker Musical Aims for a 2021 Premiere
Posted: 1/9/21 at 8:31pm

N.B. This does not say Broadway. Elton John's Tammy Faye Bakker Musical Aims for a 2021 Premiere

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#3Elton John's Tammy Faye Bakker Musical Aims for a 2021 Premiere
Posted: 1/9/21 at 8:34pm

Haha exactly. Next!

MannPhan24601
#4Elton John's Tammy Faye Bakker Musical Aims for a 2021 Premiere
Posted: 1/9/21 at 8:49pm

There's also been a David Yazback one starring Kristin Chenoweth that feels like it's been in development since 2005,lollllll. 

I got really obsessed at watching Jim Bakker propaganda crap and he basically predicted the virus a few years ago selling his powdered food crap on his new show with his new wife of 20 years(Who is a Tammy Faye look alike). It's hilarious on how far-right it is and the products they sell.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#5Elton John's Tammy Faye Bakker Musical Aims for a 2021 Premiere
Posted: 1/9/21 at 8:55pm

Does his powdered food crap cure covid? (just wonderin'Elton John's Tammy Faye Bakker Musical Aims for a 2021 Premiere

BeNice Profile Photo
BeNice
#6Elton John's Tammy Faye Bakker Musical Aims for a 2021 Premiere
Posted: 1/9/21 at 9:59pm

I thought the Kristen Chenoweth one was by Henry Kreiger. I saw a reading of it.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#7Elton John's Tammy Faye Bakker Musical Aims for a 2021 Premiere
Posted: 1/10/21 at 4:31am

For anyone needing a fix on this in the mean time, Bernadette Peters & Kevin Spacey did a TV movie on the same subject (Bernadette plays Tammy), a little low quality but it should be on YouTube. One of Bernadette's stronger TV performances I think (Kevin Spacey is still learning how to act it seems). Additionally, there is an Australian musical called Miracle City that is a vague adaptation of the story, with a live cast recording on Apple Music. Most of the music is told as performers of the TV show rather than explicit diegetic. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#8Elton John's Tammy Faye Bakker Musical Aims for a 2021 Premiere
Posted: 1/10/21 at 8:14am

Here is that fantastic Emmy Award winning 1990 NBC TV Movie FALL FROM GRACE with Spacey and Peters.  One of her finest performances.  Lifetime re-aired it frequently.

Updated On: 1/10/21 at 08:14 AM

FindingNamo
#9Elton John's Tammy Faye Bakker Musical Aims for a 2021 Premiere
Posted: 1/10/21 at 12:56pm

Tammy Faye Bakker as positive gay icon is the grift that keeps on grifting. People keep on selling it and, it seems, people keep on buying it.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#10Elton John's Tammy Faye Bakker Musical Aims for a 2021 Premiere
Posted: 1/10/21 at 1:07pm

FindingNamo said: "Tammy Faye Bakker as positive gay icon is the grift that keeps on grifting. People keep on selling it and, it seems, people keep on buying it."

Maybe that will be a subplot.

Owen22
#11Elton John's Tammy Faye Bakker Musical Aims for a 2021 Premiere
Posted: 1/11/21 at 10:37am

Tag said: "FindingNamo said: "Tammy Faye Bakker as positive gay icon is the grift that keeps on grifting. People keep on selling it and, it seems, people keep on buying it."

Maybe that will be a subplot.
"

Doubt it.  Gays love the extremes of Tammy Faye.  They tend to forgive and forget most Divas.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#12Elton John's Tammy Faye Bakker Musical Aims for a 2021 Premiere
Posted: 1/11/21 at 11:14am

We can thank RuPaul for helping to keep pushing the Tammy Faye/gay icon narrative.

lilpunkin
#13Elton John's Tammy Faye Bakker Musical Aims for a 2021 Premiere
Posted: 1/12/21 at 10:59am

My understanding is they're aiming at a late 2021 West End opening and a late 2022 or early 2023 Broadway opening, depending on C-19 and how quickly theatres re-open.

The reason political playwright James Graham was hired to write the book was to explore the political aspect of Bakker's involvement with the gay community. Graham is known for writing nuanced and unbiased scripts that explore both sides so I doubt it'll be a hagiography.

IronMan Profile Photo
IronMan
#14Elton John's Tammy Faye Bakker Musical Aims for a 2021 Premiere
Posted: 1/12/21 at 1:56pm

A quote from Man In Chair seems appropriate: 

"Oh, Elton John... must we continue this charade?"

"What- and quit show business?" - the guy shoveling elephant shit at the circus.

Videos