Sutton Ross
#25The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/23/21 at 3:05pm

He's returned to acting

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#26The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/23/21 at 3:34pm

Ugh. Well it’s got Vanessa Redgrave so I’m not gonna pretend I won’t ever watch it.

AEA AGMA SM
#27The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/23/21 at 3:41pm

Sutton Ross said: "I love that you think Kevin Spacey is somehow hard up or NEEDS to work because he can't pay his gas bill or some sh*t.

He was in 65 episodes of House of Cards. He made $500k per episode every single episode so that's over $30 million right there. And the fact that for 25 years made between $2 - $6 million for pretty much every film he did......yeah no. The internet is correct and you are not.

Kevin is a wealthy white man in America. He will be just fine forever.
"

Lots of people who should be well off and "never" have to work again are, in reality, not in either of those positions. Nicolas Cage, Michael Jackson, Jonny Depp, countless child stars, and many more, all have been in financially rocky positions because they squandered, mismanaged, or were flat out robbed of, their wealth. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#28The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/23/21 at 3:48pm

Sutton Ross said: "He's returned toacting"

In Italy. Maybe next he can do something with Polanski (if he still works).

I didn't know Nero was a slime ball. The return of Spacey

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#29The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/23/21 at 3:50pm

Did I suggest it was in Hollywood? Nope.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#30The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/23/21 at 4:14pm

HogansHero said: "Sutton Ross said: "He's returned toacting"

Yes, oh-so ignorant one.  Polanski still works.  And isn’t hard-up for projects, either.

Sutton Ross
#31The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/23/21 at 4:15pm

Correct.

Sutton Ross
#32The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/23/21 at 4:21pm

Lots of people who should be well off and "never" have to work again are, in reality, not in either of those positions. Nicolas Cage, Michael Jackson, Jonny Depp, countless child stars, and many more, all have beenin financially rocky positions because they squandered, mismanaged, or were flat out robbed of, their wealth."

Yeah, Michael Jackson is dead so he no longer has any financial problems and unlike Johnny or Nic, Kevin has no family, no children, no spouses to deal with and pay money to. He still has plenty of money after all these lawsuits were dismissed. I imagine working internationally will work out just fine for him. 

JSquared2
#33The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/23/21 at 5:24pm

Sutton Ross said: 

That being said, I sincerely doubt anyone will hire him ever again. He has a lot of money, he can just exist on an island somewhere for the rest of his days.

This didn’t age very well now, did it? LOL. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#34The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/23/21 at 5:42pm

Sutton Ross said: "Did I suggest it was in Hollywood? Nope."

Did I suggest that you suggested that? Nope. (My point was that he had to go to Europe and get directed by someone who is not really known as a director (has he directed before? I am too lazy to look.) It wasn't about you. 

@Brody "Yes, oh-so ignorant one.  Polanski still works.  And isn’t hard-up for projects, either."

Yep, guilty as charged. The return of Spacey I confess I don't keep up with the criminal's work schedule. I also confess I was too lazy to look at IMDB (which shows he has something else in pre-production also). I wasn't suggesting he was hard up for projects. My point was that he's 87 and I wasn't presuming he still worked. 

What's with all the missing of my points today? The return of Spacey

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#35The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/23/21 at 10:03pm

Nero is wed to Ms Redgrave (30 yrs after  Camelot  but hey they wanted to be sure)

I have heard his "role" in the film is more of an extended cameo than a real part.

I suspect it's just dipping his toe in the water to check the temp. Still pretty cold I'm thinking.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#36The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/23/21 at 10:03pm

Nero is wed to Ms Redgrave (30 yrs after  Camelot  but hey they wanted to be sure)

I have heard his "role" in the film is more of an extended cameo than a real part.

I suspect it's just dipping his toe in the water to check the temp. Still pretty cold I'm thinking.

bk
#37The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/24/21 at 12:19am

BrodyFosse123 said: "HogansHero said: "Sutton Ross said: "He's returned toacting"

Yes, oh-so ignorant one. Polanski still works. And isn’t hard-up for projects, either.

Excellent description of the poster to whom you're responding. I blocked him long ago at the suggestion of the gentleman who runs this site - it was a good suggestion. The return of Spacey

"

SouthernCakes
#38The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/24/21 at 1:08am

Remember when he did that one man show at the Us Open stadium in Queens? What was that about?

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#39The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/24/21 at 1:58am

While it's probably a mistake to say "he will never work again" (and I'm not going to scroll back, but I probably said it, too, or something similar) as "work" can be defined in all sorts of ways, and there are theaters and movie companies across the world (and independent, low budget work, as well as big studio productions), I think what was really meant is that he still leaves a bad taste in American mouths and Broadway and Hollywood aren't going to be receptive to him (which seemed to me the real gist of the OP), and probably no major regional companies, either. 

It should also be apparent that in whatever capacity he's working, it doesn't demonstrate that he needs money, merely that he needs attention and likes to act. I don't think we ever said he either lost his love for acting or stopped being a narcissist, merely that major venues weren't interested in helping him to fulfill his goals. 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#40The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/24/21 at 8:22am

Someone on the thread mentioned John Barrowman being cancelled, and I doubt that he will be in the long run. His primary offense wasn’t sexual assault or intimidation, but a tendency to “whip it out” for comedy or shock. He was eventually censured for this and stopped doing it.

I can’t speak for how it made the people around him feel, but I’d say this falls more under toxic masculinity than sexual assault. And there doesn’t seem to be the element of coercion that came with Louis CK’s sort of exposure (honestly I’ve been a victim of THAT kind of grossness myself); even the beloved Robin Williams thought it was funny to shock people with nudity. But you couldn’t and shouldn’t do that sort of prank today.

sinister teashop Profile Photo
sinister teashop
#41The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/24/21 at 10:26am

henrikegerman said: "I'm fine with him staying in exile.

But what kind of business coddles Mel Gibson but draws the line at Kevin Spacey?
"

I think that's a good question, henrikegerman. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#42The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/24/21 at 10:54am

sinister teashop said: "henrikegerman said: "I'm fine with him staying in exile.

But what kind of business coddles Mel Gibson but draws the line at Kevin Spacey?
"

I think that's a good question, henrikegerman.
"

If there is evidence that Mel Gibson is coddled, that would be a good question. When was the last time Gibson was in or produced anything? Or are we really playing the game that all historical time is equal, and if once upon a time a Mel Gibson could get away with his crap, then it's odd that in an entirely different time/culture Spacey can't?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#43The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/24/21 at 11:07am

joevitus said: "If there is evidence that Mel Gibson is coddled, that would be a good question. When was the last time Gibson was in or producedanything? Or are we really playing the game that all historical time is equal, and if once upon a time a Mel Gibson could get away with his crap, then it's odd that in an entirely different time/culture Spacey can't?"

Mel Gibson was nominated for an Oscar only 4 years ago, for a movie that was nominated for a bunch of other Oscars including Best Picture. He also has several acting credits from the past few years, several upcoming, as well as an announced directing project listed on IMDB with big stars reportedly attached. 

#44The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/24/21 at 11:16am

henrikegerman said: "But what kind of business coddles Mel Gibson but draws the line at Kevin Spacey?"

Has nothing to do with their specific offenses, rather it's that giving Kevin Spacey work will generate orders of magnitude more press, and therefore more social media harassment of the people involved, than working with Mel Gibson. People don't care about their behavior, they just don't want to get embroiled in the drama.

darquegk said: "And there doesn’t seem to be the element of coercion that came with Louis CK’s sort of exposure"

Louis C.K. invited two women to his hotel room for drinks after a comedy show at like 1 a.m., asked them point-blank if he could do a sex-related thing, they "gave a facetious thumbs up" (according to Gawker) and he did it.

This situation is not 100% awesome, but you would have to be a total idiot to go drink in a guy's hotel room at 1 a.m. and not, potentially, expect some kind of sexual overture. I'm not saying he has a license to ignore consent, but if he asks you for consent and you say (or imply) yesthen what can you do?

Louis C.K. talked about this in one of his stand-ups in the aftermath:

The comedian has learned, as he states in frank language, “If you ever ask somebody ‘Can I jerk off in front of you?’ . . . and they say ‘Yes,’ just ask ‘Are you sure?'”

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#45The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/24/21 at 11:28am

JBroadway said: "joevitus said: "If there is evidence that Mel Gibson is coddled, that would be a good question. When was the last time Gibson was in or producedanything? Or are we really playing the game that all historical time is equal, and if once upon a time a Mel Gibson could get away with his crap, then it's odd that in an entirely different time/culture Spacey can't?"

Mel Gibson was nominated for an Oscar only 4 years ago, for a movie that was nominated for a bunch of other Oscars including Best Picture. He also has several acting credits from the past few years, several upcoming, as well as an announced directing project listed on IMDB with big stars reportedly attached.

"

4 years ago there was no Me,Too movement, which is the big game changer here. An IMDB listing isn't a greenlight, and whether the assault on his girlfriend (and mother of one of his children) will rear its head or not when and if these projects go into production/release remains to be seen.

I still don't see how anything you referenced counts as "coddling." 

Updated On: 5/24/21 at 11:28 AM

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#46The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/25/21 at 12:36am

Updated On: 5/25/21 at 12:36 AM

SouthernCakes
#47The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/25/21 at 12:48am

Well it’s coddling in the sense that he’s seemingly gotten away with it and his career is fine. Spacey not so much. But people are always looking for a way to knock a gay guy down.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#48The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/25/21 at 12:57am

SouthernCakes said: "Well it’s coddling in the sense that he’s seemingly gotten away with it and his career is fine. Spacey not so much. But people are always looking for a way to knock a gay guy down."

I don't think that's fair. And I doubt the gay person who first outed Spacey's perversion (Anthony Rapp) would think so either. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#49The return of Spacey
Posted: 5/25/21 at 3:48am

SouthernCakes said: "Well it’s coddling in the sense that he’s seemingly gotten away with it and his career is fine. Spacey not so much. But people are always looking for a way to knock a gay guy down."

To me, comparing incidents pre-internet or in the early stages of the internet's infancy to what happens today, when a person's bad behavior is all over social media for weeks and perpetuated forever in comments sections, is just comparing apples to oranges.

The Gibson stuff happened in a different era, and of course pre-Me, Too. I don't think it's about gay vs. straight. It was about an earlier media reality when, after the major media outlets stopped covering a story, it disappeared and people would forget about it, whereas that doesn't happen now. Something like Aziz Ansari's fall from grace would have never happened prior to social media and the Me, Too movement (and he's a telling case, as most people seemed to feel he wasn't the bad guy Harvey Weinstein obviously was, and that he really didn't deserve most of the attacks he got--but he's had to move from in front of the camera on his own show, which had fans who supported him, and though he's still behind the scenes, and he had one stand up special in the aftermath, he's effectively disappeared). 

For what it's worth, at the time, Gibson fell, fell hard. Career seemingly over forever. But he independently produced movies with niche markets (going after the Born Again crowd first was pretty savvy), raked in millions and--again, without the constant evidence in front of people's eyes as it is today--Hollywood allowed itself to let him in again because money is king there.

But he's never become a leading man again, never regained his star status, likely never will be, and not because of his age. And you don't see much positive news about Gibson, even with his Oscar wins. Jodi Foster tried to rehabilitate him, and it didn't work (and probably helped ruin her own image). He's held at arms length, it seems to me. And I suspect if any of his projects come to fruition, there's going to be an accounting in social media, with sound clips resurfacing and the stories being retold. It's a different world.

Videos