pixeltracker

Company Reviews (and beyond)- Page 8

Company Reviews (and beyond)

sm33 Profile Photo
sm33
#175Company reviews
Posted: 12/22/21 at 11:42am

MemorableUserName said: "But I thought she actually sounded fine in Act Two, and I had no problems whatsoever with her "Being Alive." And acting-wise, she was absolutely terrific throughout. I'd never seen her in anything but videos of her performing "Omar Sharif." Within a few scenes, I had no trouble understanding why she was cast in the role. It's a great performance"

I could not agree more. I was really worried about Lenk in the role, and especially her "Being Alive", after reading so many critiques here. But she was incredibly strong, and I liked her take on the character.

The production as a whole was excellent, imo, and easily the best thing we've seen on this trip. It was genuinely funny (and lighter than I expected), extremely well-cast, and I loved the vibrant staging. "Not Getting Married Today" and "Ladies Who Lunch" were the obvious highlights aside from "Being Alive", but I genuinely liked the whole thing.

And man, the audience was so warm and receptive! After seeing four other shows in a row, the audience for this one was the most lively and engaged by a mile. Makes everything a little better, honestly. 

MemorableUserName
#176Company reviews
Posted: 12/22/21 at 3:38pm

sm33 said: And man, the audience was so warm and receptive! After seeing four other shows in a row, the audience for this one was the most lively and engaged by a mile. Makes everything a little better, honestly."

When I saw the news about Assassins today being canceled, I immediately remembered what you said about it being the last show of your trip. If Company ends up being the last one, I'm glad you got to go out on a high note!

jiaxing_26
#177Company reviews
Posted: 12/22/21 at 9:00pm

Just saw this afternoon and here are some of my thoughts: As someone who's watched the 06 revival recording several times, deeming Being Alive as almost my raison d'etre, I still feel a little ambivalent (if not underwhelmed) about this revival, and my reasoning may be more or less in line with that of Jesse Green's. I thought the production was electric; a refreshing take, Elliott's version is the one that squarely belongs to 21st-century New York, with restless sirens, gay couples, and women taking the lead. The set flows seamlessly on the stage, and the lighting and costumes are beyond amazing. 

But I'm not sure if Company would have as special a place in my heart if I first saw Elliot's production, instead of Esparza's take in Barrymore (NPH was under-rehearsed, and I still need to watch the Adrian Lester version). In Bobbie's case, it makes sense that she's unrealistically idealistic, and I thought the staging extremely effective where she sees the reality of marriage life horrifying. But there are other times when the focus is more on the couples themselves than Bobbie's perspective on marriage vis-à-vis observing these couples. Maybe the problem lies in my male perspective, or the new revival chooses a narrower interpretation. I just ultimately can't completely relate to Bobbie's anxiety to get married at 35 than to Bobby's reluctance to commit and his inner exploration that leads to forgoing safer relationships (i.e. friendship) for something he wants. Bobby's Being Alive seems like a revelation, validation, and liberation, but I wasn't sure what to make of Bobbie's Being Alive

Don't get me wrong, Elliott's production is stellar and worth any praise it deserves, but maybe I have more skepticism with her conception than her execution. For me, Lenk is fine -- a little too awkward at times that left me wondering if she comes out of DEH, but her voice was sufficient. Nothing too exciting nor too embarrassing. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#178Company reviews
Posted: 12/23/21 at 1:58pm

ljay889 said: "Jeff Kready (Nikki Renee Daniel's husband) is joining the cast as a new male standby!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXwRWSjp22K/?utm_medium=copy_link
"

Any know what roles Jeff is covering?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#179Company reviews
Posted: 12/23/21 at 2:07pm

Claybourne Elder has revealed on IG he has Covid, and Jacob Dickey will be covering the role. I wish I could see Dickey, and hope Elder gets better soon. 

Updated On: 12/23/21 at 02:07 PM

ashley0139
#180Company reviews
Posted: 12/23/21 at 2:18pm

jiaxing_26 said: "Just saw this afternoon and here are some of my thoughts: As someone who's watched the 06 revival recording several times, deemingBeing Aliveas almost myraison d'etre,I still feel a little ambivalent (if not underwhelmed) about this revival, and my reasoning may be more or less in line with that of Jesse Green's. I thought the production was electric; a refreshing take, Elliott's version is the one that squarely belongs to 21st-century New York, with restless sirens, gay couples, and women taking the lead. The set flows seamlessly on the stage, and the lighting and costumes are beyond amazing.

But I'm not sure ifCompanywould have as special a place in my heart if I first saw Elliot's production, instead of Esparza's take in Barrymore (NPH was under-rehearsed, and I still need to watch the Adrian Lester version). In Bobbie's case, it makes sense that she's unrealistically idealistic, and I thought the staging extremely effective where she sees the reality of marriage life horrifying. But there are other times when the focus is more on the couples themselves than Bobbie's perspective on marriage vis-à-vis observing these couples. Maybe the problem lies in my male perspective, or the new revival chooses a narrower interpretation. I just ultimately can'tcompletelyrelate to Bobbie's anxiety to get married at 35 than to Bobby's reluctance to commit and his inner exploration that leads to forgoing safer relationships (i.e. friendship) for something he wants. Bobby'sBeing Aliveseems like a revelation, validation, and liberation, but I wasn't sure what to make of Bobbie'sBeing Alive.

Don't get me wrong, Elliott'sproductionis stellar and worth any praise it deserves, but maybe I have more skepticism with her conception than her execution. For me, Lenk is fine -- a little too awkward at times that left me wondering if she comes out of DEH, but her voice was sufficient. Nothing too exciting nor too embarrassing.
"

Funny, I feel the exact opposite. I saw the 2006 revival live several times and enjoyed it, but I never really connected with it. This is the first time I have really connected and felt the material. Katrina’s Bobbie, the staging, the surrealist feel, all made me feel much more than the minimalism and almost stoicism of the 2006 revival. 

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

bwwLA86
#181Company reviews
Posted: 12/23/21 at 11:18pm

Saw it tonight and I have to say it: I absolutely LOVED Lenk. Loved. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#182Company reviews
Posted: 12/23/21 at 11:54pm

How was Jacob Dickey as Andy?

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#183Company reviews
Posted: 12/24/21 at 12:20am

ljay889 said: "How was Jacob Dickey as Andy?"

I thought he was very sweet and charming. 

A Director
#184Company reviews
Posted: 12/24/21 at 12:26am

jiaxing_26 said: "Just saw this afternoon and here are some of my thoughts: As someone who's watched the 06 revival recording several times, deemingBeing Aliveas almost myraison d'etre,I still feel a little ambivalent (if not underwhelmed) about this revival, and my reasoning may be more or less in line with that of Jesse Green's. I thought the production was electric; a refreshing take, Elliott's version is the one that squarely belongs to 21st-century New York, with restless sirens, gay couples, and women taking the lead. The set flows seamlessly on the stage, and the lighting and costumes are beyond amazing.

But I'm not sure ifCompanywould have as special a place in my heart if I first saw Elliot's production, instead of Esparza's take in Barrymore (NPH was under-rehearsed, and I still need to watch the Adrian Lester version). In Bobbie's case, it makes sense that she's unrealistically idealistic, and I thought the staging extremely effective where she sees the reality of marriage life horrifying. But there are other times when the focus is more on the couples themselves than Bobbie's perspective on marriage vis-à-vis observing these couples. Maybe the problem lies in my male perspective, or the new revival chooses a narrower interpretation. I just ultimately can'tcompletelyrelate to Bobbie's anxiety to get married at 35 than to Bobby's reluctance to commit and his inner exploration that leads to forgoing safer relationships (i.e. friendship) for something he wants. Bobby'sBeing Aliveseems like a revelation, validation, and liberation, but I wasn't sure what to make of Bobbie'sBeing Alive.

Don't get me wrong, Elliott'sproductionis stellar and worth any praise it deserves, but maybe I have more skepticism with her conception than her execution. For me, Lenk is fine -- a little too awkward at times that left me wondering if she comes out of DEH, but her voice was sufficient. Nothing too exciting nor too embarrassing.
"

Yes, your problem is your male perspective.

bwwLA86
#185Company reviews
Posted: 12/24/21 at 10:34am

Played "dumb hunk" very well. And quite the looker. 

RWPrincess
#186Company reviews
Posted: 12/25/21 at 1:57pm

I was at the show yesterday. The house was mostly full but not completely. I'm guessing the empty seats were no shows. I thought Jacob did a great job--I never had a chance to see him as Aladdin so was happy to see him in this role. I also went into this blind having never seen a production of Company before. I was with a friend who was very familiar with the material so we've had some good discussions since the show. I agree with some of the assessments here that Katrina may not be the right fit for this role. When we walked out of the theater, we walked past a small group that was discussing her performance as well.

I didn't find the show to be confusing but I did have trouble seeing Bobbie's progression throughout the show. To me, that was a combination of the book and Katrina. That said, I'd still see this again in a heartbeat. The cast is great overall and that music is just meant to be heard in person. 

yyys
#187Company reviews
Posted: 12/25/21 at 3:50pm

Empty seats are returns most likely. 

BCfitasafiddle
#188Company reviews
Posted: 12/26/21 at 11:00pm

Rashidra Scott tested positive. She seems to be in good spirits and says she'll "be glad to have this one over with." Understudy for Susan will be on for a little while. 

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#189Company reviews
Posted: 12/26/21 at 11:11pm

I went to the very first preview, and it was the last show I saw before we knew what COVID was. I really want to go back and see what, if anything, has changed

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#190Company reviews
Posted: 12/26/21 at 11:13pm

Patti explained the various illnesses the company has:

https://twitter.com/PattiLuPone/status/1475309147956600832?s=20

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#191Company reviews
Posted: 12/26/21 at 11:40pm

Company reviews

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#192Company reviews
Posted: 12/27/21 at 12:39am

"

Maybe because this is 2021, instead of 50 years ago

Stephanatic

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#193Company reviews
Posted: 12/29/21 at 1:57pm

FYI, Kathryn Allison is on as Susan as this week.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

MemorableUserName
#194Company reviews
Posted: 12/30/21 at 11:03pm

Claybourne Elder shared a lovely story of when a complete stranger gave him and a friend $200 to see the 2006 Sweeney Todd, and now of course he's in this show with Patti. He's giving away 12 tickets to Saturday's show to people who can definitely attend and who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford it. Truly wonderful.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYHn2TPL4Fu/

(According to his stories, he may also have just been reunited with that complete stranger!)

SophiaPetrillo
#195Company reviews
Posted: 1/1/22 at 9:45pm

My coworker who’s there tonight just texted me that Patti is out. He said Anisha is “very believable” as Joanne.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#196Company reviews
Posted: 1/2/22 at 6:34pm

Just curious: how is Patti's understudy/?

Markie27 Profile Photo
Markie27
#197Company reviews
Posted: 1/5/22 at 3:19pm

Does anybody know if Patti Lupone is back as Joanne?  Her understudy was really good as Joanne but I find her too young for the role.  I always imagined Joanne would be like a lady “of a certain age” who have been through a lot.  I thought Patti and Elaine were perfect in this role. 

BCfitasafiddle
#198Company reviews
Posted: 1/5/22 at 3:22pm

Patti was back for the next performance I heard.

Rose2
#199Company reviews
Posted: 1/5/22 at 7:39pm

I was at the matinee today and Patti was back & terrific.