pixeltracker

CAROLINE, OR CHANGE 2021 Broadway Cast Recording Thread- Page 2

CAROLINE, OR CHANGE 2021 Broadway Cast Recording Thread

forfivemoreminutes
#25CAROLINE, OR CHANGE 2021 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 12/17/21 at 11:54am

Alexander Lamar said: "forfivemoreminutes said: "Speaking of the original album - where can I find that one to listen to? It’s not on Apple Music or iTunes or Spotify, at least not in my region (Canada)."

Does this work?

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nvzJBr6OuWxllqr1Ud_HAz3_Lulg0uCAROLINE, OR CHANGE 2021 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
"

It doesn't - presumably that's YouTube premium, which I don't have? Or maybe it's content just available in the US. On Spotify it shows me the album, but when I try to play any songs other than "The Chanukah Party" it says "content not available" - and I do have Spotify premium, so I'm not sure why that's happening. 

forfivemoreminutes
#26CAROLINE, OR CHANGE 2021 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 12/17/21 at 11:55am

ELFcubed said: "There is a stripped down quality here that really works for me. Tempos feel a bit slower, orchestrations a bit simpler, vocals given space for their lyrics to land in the many counterpoint sections.

I also don't just knee-jerk hate this Rose. I know on the OBC that's the point, but her arc is stronger to me when she is a bit more sympathetic. She is in over her head and makes a series of bad choices and doesn't see why she's wrong, but she really is at heart trying to help.

Not a surpassing of the OBC but an excellent companion.
"

I completely agree re Rose. I think Caissie Levy plays her VERY sympathetically and with a lot of nuance, which is one of my favourite things about this new production.

kidmanboy Profile Photo
kidmanboy
#27CAROLINE, OR CHANGE 2021 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 12/17/21 at 1:08pm

There are certainly iconic moments from the OBCR that are missing here - but there are also new moments that stand out.  One in Lot's wife is the gorgeous orchestration of the "I Hate the Bus" underscoring of the "murder me..." section.  That part makes me weep.  

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#28CAROLINE, OR CHANGE 2021 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 12/17/21 at 1:21pm

Georgeanddot2 said: "It's good, but doesn't get anywhere near the original album. There's a big, harsh, percussive sound that the original has that this one hasn't completely captured."

I agree about the percussion. I'm so happy to have this recording, but I wish the rhythm section was mixed higher.

Miserent Profile Photo
Miserent
#29CAROLINE, OR CHANGE 2021 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 12/17/21 at 1:21pm

Its still not on Apple Music, hoping it will be added soon enough.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#30CAROLINE, OR CHANGE 2021 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 12/18/21 at 8:36am

It's on Apple Music now. Thank God. I was getting tired of "And I'll live in my house, and I'll make it ok, by myseeeeeeeeelf THIS HOLIDAY SEASON, GET YOUR-"

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Alexander Lamar
#31CAROLINE, OR CHANGE 2021 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 12/18/21 at 8:43am

After two full listens, it really is glorious. I’m so grateful to have this recording. As others have said it will be a great supplement to the original for me. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#32CAROLINE, OR CHANGE 2021 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 12/18/21 at 8:48am

I just found out that Tamika Lawrence has left the show. Was that announced or was this a sudden thing?

Alexander Lamar
#33CAROLINE, OR CHANGE 2021 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 12/18/21 at 9:10am

Jordan Catalano said: "I just found out that Tamika Lawrence has left the show. Was that announced or was this a sudden thing?"

She announced it on her social media. Her last performance was Tuesday. I think she’s probably preparing for Black No More. Anastacia McClesky has joined for the rest of the run.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#34CAROLINE, OR CHANGE 2021 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 12/18/21 at 9:58am

Shame, I was really looking forward to seeing her again next week. But I’m glad her departure wasn’t health related. 

Scott Stephen
#35CAROLINE, OR CHANGE 2021 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 12/18/21 at 10:11am

I got to see Anastacia on Thursday, and she is a wonderful Dotty! Different than Tamika but still giving a great performance!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#36CAROLINE, OR CHANGE 2021 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 12/19/21 at 1:54am

Georgeanddot2 said: "It's good, but doesn't get anywhere near the original album. There's a big, harsh, percussive sound that the original has that this one hasn't completely captured."

That was the first thing I noticed. I have only listened to about 20 minutes of it. That sound has been softened a lot. And it sounded incredible live in the original production as well as on the recording.

Just give the world Love.

broadwayboy223
#37CAROLINE, OR CHANGE 2021 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 12/19/21 at 5:46pm

I think its a great album! Will it beat the original for me? Nooooo. I noticed that Caroline's "seeing as how you've seen the inside of a church" solo in "Dotty & Caroline" has been lowered by a full step. It threw me to hear that section modulated down. Is that the only thing lowered for Clarke? I was wondering if the Moon trio was in a different key too

JaredBway
#38CAROLINE, OR CHANGE 2021 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 12/19/21 at 7:37pm

Does anyone know why there are two price point on ITunes?  $10.99 and $22.79.  They both seem to be the full recording.  I thought $10.99 would be highlights, doesn't appear to be.  Any differences?

ArtMan
#39CAROLINE, OR CHANGE 2021 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 12/19/21 at 7:42pm

Can't answer.  But the price of physical cast recordings sure have gone up.  This is listed (when it comes out) for $26.  I know it is a double.  Diana was $19.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#40CAROLINE, OR CHANGE 2021 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 12/20/21 at 12:36am

Spent part of this weekend giving this a first listen... it's very well done. At times it sounds very Fun Home with its classical influences, and some other moments come off as either very Sondheim-y or reminiscent of blues / gospel-inspired musicals such as The Color Purple. Tesori and Kushner have written a very complex score. I can't remember the last time I heard a cast recording that flowed so seamlessly between tracks.

The entire cast sounds great; Samantha Williams and the children especially stand out. I pretty much now have somewhat of an understanding of the show (I've heard this show is through-sung), but I'm sure it makes more sense unfolding in front of your eyes. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 12/20/21 at 12:36 AM

ShowBro Profile Photo
ShowBro
#41CAROLINE, OR CHANGE 2021 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 12/20/21 at 6:47am

I saw this on Nov. 14th, the day before the new album was recorded. I had read several comments on this board before (and subsequently after) my performance, that some felt Sharon D Clarke was “holding back” vocally when they saw her. I felt the same way after my performance, and just attributed it to the fact that she was saving up some power for the following day’s recording session, understandably. This album however confirms that what I heard was not her “holding back” but rather just how she delivers her Caroline.  It is vocally completely different than the Queen TP. I am going back on Dec 26th and am very excited to hear/see Sharon Catherine Brown. This new album is good, but does not capture the gut wrenching power of the Original. 

Updated On: 12/20/21 at 06:47 AM

Alexander Lamar
#42CAROLINE, OR CHANGE 2021 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 12/20/21 at 7:11am

JaredBway said: "Does anyone know why there are two price point on ITunes? $10.99 and $22.79. They both seem to be the full recording. I thought $10.99 would be highlights, doesn't appear to be. Any differences?"

I can’t speak to the price difference but the reason it is listed twice is due to the error with the aggregator that the rep from Broadway Records mentioned on page one (with some tracks on the 10.99 version being attributed to the wrong artist). The $22.79 version has the right names. I’m wondering if that was meant to be the price all along and the $10.99 price was an additional thing the aggregator messed up; I was surprised to see a double album for eleven dollars. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#43CAROLINE, OR CHANGE 2021 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 12/20/21 at 12:09pm

Alexander Lamar said: "Jordan Catalano said: "I just found out that Tamika Lawrence has left the show. Was that announced or was this a sudden thing?"

She announced it on her social media. Her last performance was Tuesday. I think she’s probably preparing for Black No More. Anastacia McClesky has joined for the rest of the run.

"

That's too bad, I was looking forward to seeing Tamika next week, but it'll be nice to see Anastasia again, I saw her go on as Becky a couple of months ago at Waitress and she was great. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Videos