THE MUSIC MAN Previews

BarnabyTucker Profile Photo
BarnabyTucker
#425THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/6/22 at 10:37pm

Anyone there tonight who can report back?

#426THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/6/22 at 11:03pm

I was there tonight! So much entrance applause for Hugh. Must have been a minute and a half. The show is in great shape. A few minor snafus that Hugh played off great (his hat wouldn’t seem to land on the cane) Sutton was fantastic! All around great show. During curtain call it was clear the cast was excited to be performing again. 

bk
#427THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/7/22 at 2:29am

Wick3 said: "dmwnc1959 said: "Watched the piece on CBS Sunday Morning. Found it absolutely delightful. Speaking as someone who is, on a yearly basis, only vaguely familiar with Broadway and some of the most worshiped and beloved shows and it’s leads, and only does my “homework” on a show when I’m about to attend, I have no idea who Sutton Foster is. But I most certainly know of Hugh Jackman. That would be the singular reason I’d buy a ticket. And I’ve never even seen the movie The Music Man. Maybe that’s something I need to do?"

Maybe. Personally I wouldn’t go out of my way to watch the movie. I saw this production with Hugh and Kathy Voytko since Sutton was out on Dec 23rd and very much enjoyed it more not knowing the plot/story beforehand. After talking to friends who know Music Man and have worked in a local production of it, all told me this show is selling because of Jackman, not the story.
"

Why shouldn't he watch the movie? It's one of the great stage to film adaptations. He should absolutely watch the movie.

Thomas Jefferson
#428THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/7/22 at 3:41am

bk said: "Wick3 said: "dmwnc1959 said: "Watched the piece on CBS Sunday Morning. Found it absolutely delightful. Speaking as someone who is, on a yearly basis, only vaguely familiar with Broadway and some of the most worshiped and beloved shows and it’s leads, and only does my “homework” on a show when I’m about to attend, I have no idea who Sutton Foster is. But I most certainly know of Hugh Jackman. That would be the singular reason I’d buy a ticket. And I’ve never even seen the movie The Music Man. Maybe that’s something I need to do?"

Maybe. Personally I wouldn’t go out of my way to watch the movie. I saw this production with Hugh and Kathy Voytko since Sutton was out on Dec 23rd and very much enjoyed it more not knowing the plot/story beforehand. After talking to friends who know Music Man and have worked in a local production of it, all told me this show is selling because of Jackman, not the story.
"

Why shouldn't he watch the movie? It's one of the great stage to film adaptations. He should absolutely watch the movie.

"

It may be a good movie but that doesn’t make it necessary or recommended to watch it before seeing this production live.  I don’t know why someone would buy tickets to a show they aren’t familiar with and come to the conclusion that they should view it before they view it live.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#429THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/7/22 at 10:49am

bk said: "Wick3 said: "dmwnc1959 said: "Watched the piece on CBS Sunday Morning. Found it absolutely delightful. Speaking as someone who is, on a yearly basis, only vaguely familiar with Broadway and some of the most worshiped and beloved shows and it’s leads, and only does my “homework” on a show when I’m about to attend, I have no idea who Sutton Foster is. But I most certainly know of Hugh Jackman. That would be the singular reason I’d buy a ticket. And I’ve never even seen the movie The Music Man. Maybe that’s something I need to do?"

"

"

There's no reason why he shouldn't watch the movie, but watching it as a primer or "homework"  is totally unnecessary. It's not Shakespeare.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#430THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/7/22 at 11:01am

422, so glad to hear you enjoyed! We’re there many understudies or is most of the cast back on their feet? Rooting for the best!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#431THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/7/22 at 11:10am

Sauja said: "422, so glad to hear you enjoyed! We’re there many understudies or is most of the cast back on their feet? Rooting for the best!"

Saw on an Insta story that only two swings were on last night - no understudies.

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 1/7/22 at 11:10 AM

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#432THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/7/22 at 11:10am

422, so glad to hear you enjoyed! Were there many understudies or is most of the cast back on their feet? Rooting for the best!

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#433THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/7/22 at 11:11am

EDSOSLO858 said: "Sauja said: "422, so glad to hear you enjoyed! We’re there many understudies or is most of the cast back on their feet? Rooting for the best!"

Saw on an Insta story that only two swings were on last night atMusic Man- no understudies.
"

Great news!

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#434THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/7/22 at 11:11am

I was there last night and I enjoyed the show! I even got teary eyed at the end. 

Highlights for me include:  The opening train scene, the library dance scene, the big dance finale, and several other scenes with just Hugh and Sutton because I really liked their chemistry, they're both such great talented actors!

I sat far right Orch row Q just under the overhang and it wasn't a big deal, the tickets were only $199 when I bought them a few weeks ago,... there were 1 or 2 lines by ensemble members delivered out of sight but for the most part everything is in the center of the stage so it didn't matter that I was off to the far right, I just wanted to see the two leads since I'm a big fan of both of them.   If either Sutton or Hugh are out, I wouldn't recommend to go see it.  

*spoilers* Is it wrong of me to feel uncomfortable about the band at the end of the show? The ensemble comes out with instruments that they didn't even play, they just lip-synched the big band scene at the end lol. I guess I was expecting a big drumline or marching band type of ending... my first thought was "is this the music man or the dancing man?"  

ImAProphet
#435THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/7/22 at 2:11pm

Apologies if this has been covered (I went back a few pages and didn't see it) but how strict is the Winter Garden about the "you must print your ticket" thing? I don't have a printer, just got my ticket today, and am leaving for the theater right after logging off of work. (UPDATE: I just showed the PDF on my phone and no one cared.)

As an aside there are a handful of $100 mezzanine tickets for tonight on StubHub right now. It was $128 including fees, but still.

Updated On: 1/7/22 at 02:11 PM

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#436THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/7/22 at 2:43pm

I was there last night and had a lovely time! Hugh and Sutton were both fantastic and clearly love doing this show together. During the post-show pre-bows dance sequence Hugh and Sutton were dancing together and he said “I missed ya” and she started laughing and it was adorable.

The Good:

The cast is stellar. Everyone is having so much fun and giving it their all. Hugh is fantastic and charming as hell. He is working SO hard and clearly giving it his all. He’s a true showman and will get rave reviews. Sutton is stern, strong, and finds hilarious moments. I enjoyed that she did the Cook version of My White Knight and made it her own (others did not enjoy that she isn’t a lyric soprano). Purists won’t like her, but I loved her performance. All supporting tracks are fun and will only get better as they find more moments. The ensemble is dancing like crazy and they’re incredible, which leads me to…

The Bad:

Too much dancing. The dancing is great, but awkwardly long. I really, really hope they cut each dance break down and just pick the really thrilling moments. It’s just too much. The design aspect aren’t great and it’s sorta disappointing. They’re going for old fashion but it just doesn’t work well on that huge stage. The most impressive piece is the train at the beginning, everything afterwords is just kind of there. I wish they’d find a way to make act 2 better. It just ends… this production can’t fix the existing problems with The Music Man. It is what it is.

However, the re-writes of Shipoopi are great and appreciated! 

Overall it is a really enjoyable and entertaining night of theatre done by the best of the best performers, but Music Man purists be advised that you’re not seeing an original version. They’re still making cuts and changes. We had an insert of a different song list because they’d made cuts in act two and changed the order of some things.

It’s definitely worth waking up early for a rush ticket. Our view was perfectly fine. 

"In here, life is beautiful"

Matt Siegel
#437THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/7/22 at 6:02pm

What time would you recommend getting to the box office for the Sunday show for a rush ticket?  Is 5 am too late?

MemorableUserName
#438THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/7/22 at 6:07pm

Matt Siegel said: "What time would you recommend getting to the box office for the Sunday show for a rush ticket? Is 5 am too late?"

The other thread has more info that might be helpful on that.

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1127161

AllThatJazz2
#439THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/7/22 at 6:36pm

I got an email saying that if we had our original tickets for Music Man, they would work for our replacement performance. I haven't ever had to do that...I assume this is because the barcodes would be the same? Has anyone used their original tickets and had any issues getting in? (Ours were for October 2020, and our new date is two weeks from now).

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#440THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/7/22 at 7:00pm

KitKatBoy24 said: "They’re still making cuts and changes. We had an insert of a different song list because they’d made cuts in act two and changed the order of some things."

Are you able to share a copy of the song list? I’m curious to know what changes they’re making.

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#441THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/7/22 at 8:10pm

Song List

I think that link should work

"In here, life is beautiful"

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#442THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/7/22 at 8:18pm

Thank you

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#443THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/7/22 at 8:58pm

Has “It’s You” always been cut from this production?

SueFB
#444THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/7/22 at 9:15pm

HeyMrMusic said: "Has “It’s You” always been cut from this production?"

No. That seems to be the only change I can see from the earlier previews. 

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#445THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/7/22 at 9:28pm

Practically every person on here who has seen the show has complained about the "too much dancing".

Can anyone report if there has already been a change to that 'problem' or that it is being discussed etc.

Do the creators read/take any notice from these message boards or an actual audience for their thoughts?

Sometimes those close to a production can't, or won't see a problem.

Curious how this works because with the very long preview season, what's changing? And the set seems as bland as those terrible signs outside the theatre. Yuck! There's no joy in them.

Jimmyb1969
#446THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/7/22 at 11:32pm

Jerry has been working his magic!

I was there the first night of previews and left a lengthy review...happy to give a little update as I revisited the show tonight. There have been some positive changes. But the headline of the night for me was Sutton Sutton Sutton! She is really starting to own this production right alongside Hugh. Her Marion is fierce - big - big laughs when they were hitting each other with the hats. And the audience applauded multiple times during her scenes---she just had the audience in the palm of her hands the entire night and looked like she was loving every minute of it! She's on to something big with her interpretation and will change how Marion is portrayed forever "the Sutton interpretation". And thank you hair gods - her wigs have gotten so much better! The wig had some movement now and a slight swoop in the front with a little height that gives her just the right amount of sas. And it wasn't sprayed so tightly so when she danced the hair moved and actual a curl came loose which made sense. What a difference! She looked beautiful but in character. Her costumes have gotten a little tweak too. Nice work!

On to the rest of the cast...Winthrop (amazing) and Mrs Paroo are still owning it but most improved is Jayne and the entire Women's auxiliary...night and day from the first preview! They're coming into their own and forming real - memorable - characters and I encourage them to keep going further. Audience loved them. And most importantly they looked like they were having fun while owning it. And Jayne was really playing up her expressions - by opening she will be completely nailing this. 

Lots of folks have remarked on the dancing - me too. Yes there's still a lot of dancing throughout and one big problem to fix but more on that later. But happy to report there have been some tweaks and the dancing is much tighter. And it appears there's a little more business in Iowa Stubborn which it needed. It still needs more imho but we are now FINALLY getting a sense of these characters. The lack of any set pieces gives us zero feeling we are in the middle of a town. And this is a missed opportunity to set the scene for the audience. It's bland. Part of it is the set and part of it is the direction. We'll talk about the set in a sec.

Still in need of work is a miscast Shuler Hensley - and they may have him in the worst costumes ever - but even he's made some progress...he's come to life a bit. He's just doing nothing with the role. He hasn't found his unique way in to the role (unlike Marion and Hugh) and as a result he feels miscast and out of place. There's zero chemistry between him and Hugh. And Hugh's trying. His shipoopi costume will go down as one of the ugliest costumes in the theatre ever. The costume dept. did nothing to help him. In fact the entire shipoopi look is a big missed opportunity. Instead of joyous/rambuncous/ fun we get treated to a big yellow mess!  And finally and sadly Zaneeta is just not up to the task - gorgeous dancer but throwing away ALL her lines. She needs personality and spunk and life but she's just plain flat. If Amaryllis can chew up the scene like she effectively does with Marion than Zaneeta has no excuse. Jerry can help her with her timing and to find ways to shine. Undoubtedly he has bigger things to tweak first before he gets to her but oh boy what a missed opportunity. And Tommy's firecracker bit gets completely lost because nobody can see it...that's a direction and set problem. 

It even appears they've jazzed up the footbridge a bit. And they've taken the action off of it - Jerry's a smart guy - and  even though it looks like a random piece it's important. The money went to the library and gym sets and those are beautiful. The opening curtain/barn is still flat and ugly and really hurts the aesthetic of the show. I would not use it as the act curtain. it almost looks demonic with all that red - like who is getting killed?

Jerry's next big problem to tackle and frankly huge opportunity for success is the big ending number. He's tweaked the last gym stage picture now with Harold, Winthrop, Marion and Mrs. Paroo....he has them come forward and form a family and it's powerful and so smart and exactly the way the story should end. But then we need - and all expect - that big finale! Winthrop coming out and playing is an awesome warm up but then we go into this awkward cast dance number with instruments before Hugh and Sutton come out for yet another dance number and tap. I kept thinking this is way too long and it's really an easy fix. Just cut the fake instrument playing interpretive dance and give the audience what they want more of Hugh and Sutton - start the tap right after Winthrop (don't lose him - he is the heart of the show) and kick us into high gear. The number is excellent and Sutton is on fire. Go from Winthrop to the tap number then to the entire ensemble singing holding their instruments. Bam! Cutting the top of that dance number will tighten the end and keep it moving right through the bows but not cheat us out of the tap number and the song which are both awesome. The bows are still a mess...he's tweaking but they're still not quite right.

Shows come a long way and there's no question it will be on fire by the time they open...I have no doubt. 

Winthrop deserves to be in Shuler's later spot for bows - because he's better.

I'm not sure what they're going to do about that red barn set - it's that bad. Horror movie red. And they need to tweak those shipoopi costumes. Dare I say start over? You'll know what I'm talking about with Shuler in those yellow flannel pajama pants. Yellow is such a hard color. Yikes! And lighting department...come on. Help that challenged set out. Especially up top and  in Iowa Stubborn - flat Met Chorus lighting does nothing to help us think we are in the middle of a town. 

Net - Net! Such a joyous night at the theatre...uplifting and inspiring! You'll leave the theatre smiling and humming and happy. 

A few more tweaks and there will be no stopping this show!

Oh I forgot - what about Hugh?  He's totally Awesome - from beginning to end!  But can someone get him to eat some carbs. He's looking a little too thin and a little pale. And he wasn't clean shaven which I found odd. It's the little things.

Enjoy!

: )

Updated On: 1/8/22 at 11:32 PM

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#447THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/8/22 at 1:17pm

I was hoping with the amount of seats still available for todays matinee the tickets would have come down a little more but appears the orch is now $259-279. At least I know I don't have to order in advance and can wait for the day.

I do realize that the seats were probably 399 and up prior to the current price of the TKTS for today.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#448THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/8/22 at 2:01pm

I hope they put the song back in. A 90-second charmer of a song shouldn’t slow down the show’s momentum (and it doesn’t cut much time), especially when there are so many accounts of dance breaks overstaying their welcome.

A Director
#449THE MUSIC MAN Previews
Posted: 1/8/22 at 6:28pm

HeyMrMusic said: "I hope they put the song back in. A 90-second charmer of a song shouldn’t slow down the show’s momentum (and it doesn’t cut much time), especially when there are so many accounts of dance breaks overstaying their welcome."

No doubt, "It's You" was cut because they needed more time for all that dancing.