pixeltracker

CAMELOT Returns to Broadway - Reviews Thread- Page 8

CAMELOT Returns to Broadway - Reviews Thread

smallvillefan16
#175Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/7/22 at 11:35pm

This looks looks exactly the same as his South Pacific and King & I.  I guarantee this will be another stripped down version with pillars to represent castle towers.  His version of King & I lacked all the extravagance and excitement that the 90s revival was able to capture. I know he has his fans...I'm just not one.

Robbie516
#176Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/7/22 at 11:44pm

Any word on casting?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#177Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/8/22 at 9:48am

smallvillefan16 said: "This looks looks exactly the same as his South Pacific and King & I. I guarantee this will be another stripped down version with pillars to represent castle towers. His version of King & I lacked all the extravagance and excitement that the 90s revival was able to capture. I know he has his fans...I'm just not one."

Sherr’s LCT productions are “stripped down”?! 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#178Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/8/22 at 10:20am

Robbie516 said: "Any word on casting?"

Curious about Ethan Slater, who for a while was playing Mordred…but now there are rumors that he will be Boq in the Wicked film. He’s also not announced for Goodnight Oscar, which he did at the Goodman. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#179Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/8/22 at 10:28am

Kad said: "smallvillefan16 said: "This looks looks exactly the same as his South Pacific and King & I. I guarantee this will be another stripped down version with pillars to represent castle towers. His version of King & I lacked all the extravagance and excitement that the 90s revival was able to capture. I know he has his fans...I'm just not one."

Sherr’s LCT productions are “stripped down”?!
"

My thoughts exactly, Kad. Sher's LCT productions are many (wonderful) things, and "stripped down" is DEFINITELY not one of them.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

SouthernCakes
#180Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/8/22 at 10:50am

smallvillefan16 said: "This looks looks exactly the same as his South Pacific and King & I. I guarantee this will be another stripped down version with pillars to represent castle towers. His version of King & I lacked all the extravagance and excitement that the 90s revival was able to capture. I know he has his fans...I'm just not one."

I wouldn’t say “stripped down,” but if I have to watch the ensemble move set pieces around again I’m gonna want my money back. 

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#181Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/9/22 at 8:38am

Sherr’s LCT productions are “stripped down”?!"

My thoughts exactly, Kad. Sher's LCT productions are many (wonderful) things, and "stripped down" is DEFINITELY not one of them.
"

I would absolutely consider the set of King and I stripped down. With one exception (the boat) the entire show was on a bare stage with a few columns.

Rentaholic2
#182Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/9/22 at 9:34am

FANtomFollies said: "Sherr’s LCT productions are “stripped down”?!"

"

I would absolutely consider the set of King and I stripped down. With one exception (the boat) the entire show was on a bare stage with a few columns.

"

There’s a giant gold Buddha statue that would like a word with you. 

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#183Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/9/22 at 7:27pm

I think part of the reason the sets are more representational has to do with the extension of the stage and where the seats are located. It is basically three quarter round. You have to be careful with set pieces otherwise you have sightline issues. If you build a monster set all the way upstage you cannot use the downstage extension effectively. Plus there are sightline issues. There were certain details upstage that were part of the King and I set that you could not see if you were on the sides in the orchestra,

halfhourcheckwithmerman
#184Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/11/22 at 6:32pm

I've only seen one Sher production live (I think), which was MY FAIR LADY with Benanti. I think of it as one of the most gorgeously full and scrumptiously designed shows I've seen. I would not call it "stripped down." 

Very good point about sight-lines, though. Hadn't considered that.

"I feel safe with you, and complete with you / I'm always finding money in the street with you." -Sheldon Harnick

gibsons2
#185Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/11/22 at 7:20pm

Sorry if I missed a post, any info on when tickets go on sale?

Robbie516
#186Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/11/22 at 7:37pm

I expect soon since the poster art was revealed 

Robbie516
#187Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/11/22 at 7:38pm

Robbie516 said: "I expect soon since the poster art was revealed"

Also Matthew Rhys is in NY right now so the rumor he’s playing Arthur is probably true

btales
#188Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/11/22 at 9:43pm

Himesh Patel as Arthur

Jordan Donica as Lancelot

Phillipa Soo as Guenevere 

Robbie516
#189Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/11/22 at 9:54pm

btales said: "Himesh Patel as Arthur

"

Are you dream casting or do you know this?

btales
#190Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/11/22 at 9:55pm

This is what I have heard to be true. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#191Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/11/22 at 10:28pm

"

Patel certainly has the boyishness necessary for an Arthur, though perhaps not the gravitas he must eventually grow into. This trio would also allow the show to be the star, since none of them are selling tickets to the masses, and will certainly be interesting to have people of color in all 3 roles. But we'll see if it's true...

Updated On: 10/11/22 at 10:28 PM

BCfitasafiddle
#192Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/11/22 at 10:31pm

Phillips starring in two of the big revivals of the season would be quite an accomplishment for her. She really is spectacular. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#193Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/11/22 at 11:33pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "Phillipa starring in two of the big revivals of the season would be quite an accomplishment for her. She really is spectacular."

Interestingly enough, the first of them, Into the Woods, began at Encores. She wasn't a part of that production, but Jordan Donica was, yet he was already set to return to Phantom when the Broadway transfer was announced.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#194Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/11/22 at 11:42pm

I legit thought Phillipa would ditch the theatre world for some time after she had left Hamilton, in pursuit of higher-paying TV and film gigs. I'm glad that didn't turn out to be the case — she seems to always return back to her roots, especially as of late, and I love it. I'm thrilled for her if the Camelot rumor is true. 

She also happens to be one of the sweetest people I've ever met. 

Oh look, a bibu!

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#195Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/12/22 at 12:57am

"
very very very excellent casting, if true! Wow

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#196Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/12/22 at 5:53am

Phillips Soo as Guenevere would be absolutely miraculous.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#197Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/12/22 at 7:16am

bwayphreak234 said: "Phillips Soo as Guenevere would be absolutely miraculous."

I agree. Why not cast her husband as Arthur? Rhys would be awesome but something tells me he would not do it.

Updated On: 10/12/22 at 07:16 AM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#198Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/12/22 at 7:57am

EDSOSLO858 said: "I legit thought Phillipa would ditch the theatre world for some time after she had left Hamilton, in pursuit of higher-paying TV and film gigs. I'm glad that didn't turn out to be the case — she seems to always return back to her roots, especially as of late, and I love it."

I too have been impressed with how unlike several of her fellow original Hamilton cast members, she has for the most part stuck to doing theatre work.

Robbie516
#199Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/12/22 at 9:15am

Don’t you think Himesh Patel is a little young to play Arthur?