2022 Olivier Awards Thread

JasonC3
#22022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 12:16pm

I shall alternate watching with YouTube clips of Jake's SNL skits last night.

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#32022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 12:31pm

Eddie and Jessie were asked point blank if they were bringing this production of Cabaret to Broadway. No one said “yes” or “no” to the question, but Buckley did say “I don’t know!” with wide eyes.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#42022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 12:39pm

I’m so confused. So the awards are happening now and you can listen to them on the radio but they’re not going to be broadcast for another 5 hours? 

RW3
#52022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 1:59pm

That is correct.

east side story
#62022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 4:25pm

Cabaret swept the acting categories, among others.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#72022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 5:04pm

Has Back to the Future been eyeing a transfer at all? I haven’t seen any indication it’s been planning one, but after it’s win today it probably will now. The Adelphi is a Nederlander house, so I’m sure they’d want it in one their own theatres on Broadway. Maybe this can reopen The Palace?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Wayman_Wong
#82022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 5:07pm

The BAFTAs, the British equivalent of the Academy Awards, are held, but an edited version of the broadcast isn't aired until a few hours later. (I wonder why.). 

Updated On: 4/10/22 at 05:07 PM

MadsonMelo
#92022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 6:10pm

The four acting wins for “Cabaret” is historic, first time in awards history?

Also, the only actors that I recall that won for play and musical were Judi  Dench and Sharon D. Clarke, am I missing someone?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#102022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 7:07pm

So do we know if a cast recording of Cabaret was actually made? Either studio or soundboard? Seems like a bit of a shame not to be..

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#112022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 7:23pm

MadsonMelo said: "Also, the only actors that I recall that won for play and musical were Judi Dench and Sharon D. Clarke, am I missing someone?"

It depends on what you mean, but several other actors won Olivier Awards in both plays and musicals categories, like Janie Dee, Jonathan Pryce, Imelda Staunton, Alex Jennings, Simon Russell Beale, Bertie Carvel etc

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#122022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 7:32pm

east side story said: "Cabaret swept the acting categories, among others."

Was this year's West End season competitive? 

lilpunkin
#132022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 7:35pm

Wayman_Wong said: "The BAFTAs, the British equivalent of the Academy Awards, are held, but an edited version of the broadcast isn't aired until a few hours later. (I wonder why.)."

The BAFTAs start pretty early in the day so they can be finished with plenty of time for the big formal dinner afterwards, and the parties after that. The BAFTAs don’t get amazing ratings but I guess broadcasters want to air a big celeb-filled award show during primetime. Airing it with a delay also lets them edit out anything naughty.

The Oliviers get terrible ratings because most people in the UK don’t know or care about London theatre and only a few people are well-known outside the theatre world, so the broadcaster cut it down to 55 minutes and shove it on late at night. I honestly don’t see why they can’t broadcast it in full, given it’s late at night anyway. Cutting Liz Carr’s amazing speech about disability representation is appalling.

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#142022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 7:36pm

Wick3 said: "east side story said: "Cabaret swept the acting categories, among others."

Was this year's West End season competitive?"

Some categories were really poor (best play & best musical for instance), but the acting categories were pretty busy

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#152022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 8:09pm

While I never want a production to fail, it's quite funny how London theater basically shut out Moulin Rouge, which I don't believe deserved its ridiculous Tony sweep. Losing choreography & scenic design, arguably their most competitive elements, is a pretty brutal message.

Jordan Catalano
#162022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 8:28pm

Here’s my take on “Moulin Rouge”, which could just all be in my head but makes sense to me. 

The two leads are so ridiculously miscast (him ESPECIALLY) that people leave the show more focused on how awful he was and the zero chemistry between them and that just overshadows so much of what’s actually good in the show. When something as major as the leading performances stink, that’s all of what people remember.

east side story
#172022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 8:46pm

I walked out of Moulin Rouge on the West End at the interval. I couldn’t convince myself to stay for Act II.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#182022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 8:51pm

I am so happy Cabaret won so many awards tonight! Hoping this increases its chances for a Broadway Transfer. I also can see Life of Pi and Back to the Future coming to NYC soon! Such a wonderful ceremony! Congratulations to all the winners and nominees!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

MadsonMelo
#192022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 8:53pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Here’s my take on “Moulin Rouge”, which could just all be in my head but makes sense to me.

The two leads are so ridiculously miscast (him ESPECIALLY) that people leave the show more focused on how awful he was and the zero chemistry between them and that just overshadows so much of what’s actually good in the show. When something as major as the leading performances stink, that’s all of what people remember.
"

Lisi did “Dreamgirls”, if Im not mistaken, and she was kinda weak there too

Theatre Fan3
#202022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 9:07pm

Now that was probably one of the best awards shows I've seen.  Maybe that's partly because I just got back from a week in London and was lucky enough to have seen many of the shows that were nominated (and in several cases ... WON).  

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#212022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 9:24pm

VotePeron said: "While I never want a production to fail, it's quite funny how London theater basically shut out Moulin Rouge, which I don't believe deserved its ridiculous Tony sweep. Losing choreography & scenic design, arguably their most competitive elements, is a pretty brutal message."

To be fair though that Tony Award season was weaker than usual given how a number of musicals had not officially opened yet when the pandemic shut Broadway down in March 2020. Moulin Rouge's competition that season were only: Jagged Little Pill, Tina, and Lightning Thief.

IHeartNY2
#222022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 10:16pm

@VotePeron still bitter about the 10 tonys lol. 

Updated On: 4/10/22 at 10:16 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#232022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/11/22 at 12:02am

So who was the host? He seemed like a used car salesman, with posh.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Jordan Catalano
#242022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/11/22 at 12:56am

Jason Manford. He’s a well known UK comedian and tv personality. 

Updated On: 4/11/22 at 12:56 AM

Wayman_Wong
#252022 Olivier Awards Thread
Posted: 4/11/22 at 3:02am

''To be fair though that Tony Award season was weaker than usual given how a number of musicals had not officially opened yet when the pandemic shut Broadway down in March 2020. Moulin Rouge's competition that season were only: Jagged Little Pill, Tina, and Lightning Thief.''

Had it not been for the COVID hiatus, I still think ''Moulin Rouge!'' also would've won Best Musical over ''Girl From the North Country,'' as well as ''Mrs. Doubtfire,'' ''Six'' and ''Flying Over Sunset.'' I know it has its detractors, but box-office wise, ''Moulin Rouge!'' had been quite a crowd-pleaser before its 10 Tony Award wins. 

Updated On: 4/11/22 at 03:02 AM