pixeltracker

SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston- Page 2

SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston

JasonC3
incomesabby
#26SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 8/29/22 at 9:46am

JBroadway said: "Regarding "Girls" - at NYTW, they sang the song as a band performance, but in the background, the sister had a whole movement/dance solo; she sort of had an angry breakdown, started throwing her books, and dancing aggressively. I thought it was quite beautiful, and arguably more potent and more powerful than just having her sing about her frustrations. But many people felt like it wasn't enough for the character, who otherwise didn't have much to do."

Interesting! I can see both sides for sure. Loved the song just as a performance, but my main downside is how it interrupts the storyline and somewhat distracts from what I've been told should have come across as the main narrative (the brothers' closeness/bonding). After the song ended I practically forgot what was happening in the story beforehand.

I can't wait to see what others have to say about the Boston production though, as this is just my very initial thoughts!

Jarethan
#27SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 8/29/22 at 6:27pm

JBroadway said: "RUkiddingme said: "I find myself laughing at some of these comments comparing the NYTW production.

Its shocking anyone remembers anything at all! The show is so forgettable.”

You’re laughing at me for enjoying the show more than you, and having a better memory than you? Cool…go off I guess…
"

I got a kick out of your post.  I am always amazed at the memories of some of the posters on this board.  I even sometimes wonder if they’re faking it.  I have seen probably a hundred plus shows at least 8 - 10 times (10 seems around the max) and still do not remember minutia the way people on this board do.  I recently saw the Neil Diamond show, and several days later I could not even remember who sang a couple of the songs (when Neil didn’t).  (Admittedly, I didn’t like the show, so that was a contributing factor).

Updated On: 8/30/22 at 06:27 PM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#28SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 8/29/22 at 6:49pm

Haha, thanks!

It definitely varies for me. There are shows from 10+ years ago that I remember clear as day, and some shows from earlier this year that I nearly forgot that I saw.

In the case of Sing Street, I was already a fan of the movie, so I was more tuned into the show in terms of picking on the changes from the film. Which I guess helped me remember them pretty well. I also keep a theatre journal where I write down my thoughts on all the shows I see. Most of my entries aren't especially detailed, but I seem to recall that one was. I haven't gone back to read it in a while (maybe I should), but I think the act of writing it down helped me remember on my own.

mcsquared
#29SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 8/29/22 at 11:45pm

So I'm trying to figure out if I can travel to Boston for this--will it probably make it back to NYC and on the road? Or can I get the jest of it by watching the movie?

Hamilfan2
#31SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 8/30/22 at 10:20pm

mcsquared said: "So I'm trying to figure out if I can travel to Boston for this--will it probably make it back to NYC and on the road? Or can I get the jest of it by watching the movie?"

It will almost certainly make its way to Broadway in the Spring

CopleyScott17
#32SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 9/1/22 at 10:04am

***POSSIBLE MINOR SPOILERS***

Very enjoyable show, but definitely needs some work if they intend to go to Broadway with it.

Starts off very slowly with lots of exposition, and while the snippets of classic period tunes are very welcome, it seemed to take forever to get to the first original song. Most of the best things from the movie translate well to the stage, especially the upbeat original songs in the various '80s styles (The Riddle of the Model, Drive It Like You Stole It, Girls, Brown Shoes). I did find the ballads very low energy, bringing things to a screeching halt, except for a very nice but all-too-brief interpolation of a classic from The Cure. It's kind a weird hybrid of an original musical and a jukebox music, and it almost makes me wish they would totally lean into the latter, using classic hits like "Moulin Rouge!" did to great effect.

I really enjoyed almost everyone in the cast, and I found the staging to be simple but effective (so much rolling furniture, and no crashes!) They do rely, perhaps to a fault, on video projections (thanks, Ivo van Hove!), though it is a great way to handle all the music videos, which appear to be shot live on the stage -- very van Hove. That said, I know they were trying to replicate the low-fidelity look of early camcorder video, but I do wish the pictures were a bit sharper -- maybe they just needed to dim the stage lights more.

Best of all, I think the stage adaptation totally solves the biggest problem with the movie, which was the ending (Ireland to Wales in stormy seas? In THAT thing? Not bloody likely!). The stage show doesn't force us to question the absurdity, and also adds a very affecting final scene that finally gives the brother his due. Seems like with a little more work and a little more polish it could be a huge hit along the lines of "Dear Evan Hanson" (which I didn't like very much, but for sure I'm in the minority there). The young, energetic, attractive,multicultural cast should bring in the young audience, and the '80s MTV-era nostalgia is tailor-made for us oldies. The Boston audience was engaged and enthusiastic, and I hope this production gets the chance to try again in New York.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#33SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 9/1/22 at 9:14pm

I saw this last night and have mixed feelings about it. The catalyst of the narrative is intended to be the struggles the kids are facing in their everyday lives, which gets juxtaposed against the escape and the hope they find in making music together. And I felt that the book didn’t explore their challenges in a meaningful way, which undermined the payoff of those musical numbers.

While many of the songs are quite tuneful and appealingly staged, I felt little investment in what they were representing in terms of the show’s arc, and I think that’s where it breaks down. 

Updated On: 9/1/22 at 09:14 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#34SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 9/3/22 at 12:17am

Just got home, and I really fell in love with the piece. Is it perfect? No....but if they keep working on it until it gets to Broadway (and that's totally still their intention) it could really be successful.

I liked the original music....but felt a number of the songs lacked that final button....songs tended to just stop instead of end. 

I think they either need to do more with the sister or get rid of her.  I think they can do more with her that will actually make her more cohesive.

I liked most of the performances very much, particularly the brothers. Their scenes were the most well developed and believable.

I agree with a poster above mentioning how long it took to FINALLY get to an original song...I totally agree.

I might try to see this at the end of the run, but look forward to seeing what changes they make for bway.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#35SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 9/3/22 at 10:43am

I actually really liked how it took so long to get to an original song; he starts making music because he needs a form of personal expression, and before that, he doesn't have that outlet. At first, the only music we hear are the real-life songs, because those are the influences bouncing around in his head, before he finally finds his own voice. If he sang original songs in the beginning of the show, it would undercut that central character journey; it's the same reason...

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Brandon doesn't sing until the very end of the show

To me, that's true musical storytelling; knowing when NOT to have the characters sing, so that it's more earned when they do, and so that there's an internal logic to how the music functions.

dramamama611
#36SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 9/3/22 at 11:12am

^excellent point....but maybe get an original song from the ensemble (the kids)....because I think they all have stories to tell

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#37SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 9/3/22 at 9:27pm

I saw the show twice at NYTW and loved it. I saw the show today and wanted to love it but didn’t. I can’t really pin point why. Maybe the cast? The changes? It’s not ready for NYC just yet…

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#38SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 9/5/22 at 9:42pm

Throughly enjoyed this - as did the audience the night I caught the show. Incredible energizing talented cast leaving it all on the stage, strong book and great music 

Enjoyed the use of 80's new wave to establish certain scenes.  The emotional connection from those songs from The Smiths To The Cure to Duran Duran really helped to set up the book.  I didn't mind at all that the first original sung song doesn't come until seemingly 20 or so minutes in.  

And when it hits, after the 20 or so minutes of exposition (and excellent performances) the show finds its legs

I do think the production could be tighter, shorter.  Agree with an earlier poster who said some songs don't end on a button that encourages applause - even with an enthusiastic holiday weekend audience. Other ways to make the show tighter - cut Brother Baxter's end of 2nd act number - that scene could be accomplished with some dialogue into the up tempo number that follows.  There seemingly is one original ballad too many that slows down Act One.  Curious what the show would flow like without the character of the sister. 

Wishing them a ton of success 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#41SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 9/9/22 at 9:08am

Saw the show last night and really enjoyed it. It sneaks up on you; starts very quiet (almost too quiet) and then comes through with a big emotional wallop at the end. I can see it doing very well; it’s written from the vantage point of characters Gen-Z will relate to, with music their parents will relate to. Wonderful performances across the board, especially from the older brother. Big hit potential here.

My only two notes:

first would be to crank up the volume a bit; at times the music felt muted, and I’m sure that was a choice for the very intimate Calderwood Pavilion theatre; but if this moves to Broadway and to a bigger house I want to feel the room shake when these kids start to shred.

Secondly, I would like to see the sister and mother roles expanded just ever so slightly; it doesn’t need much, but I think just a few short scenes would go a long way to a) set up Anne’s Act 2 number “Girls” a little bit more (which was one of the more tuneful and energetic songs, and well performed by the company)…b) give the audience a chance to find a little bit more sympathy to the mother, Penny (Dee Roscioli is playing it beautifully but I think it would only bring more heft if we could see her struggle with truly loving her kids a bit more & lend more complexity to their struggle in trying to love their mother back, and Enda Walsh can give her a few lines to that affect)…and c) put a bookend on Anne’s relationship with her brothers at the end of the play. A previous poster suggested cutting the role and I do not think that is the answer; the role is an important foil to the brothers and helps to really round out the emotional catharsis of Connor & Brendan’s eventual self-actualization, and also lends context to the audience on how a bright young woman has to contend with both a broken home and a testosterone-fueled, toxically masculine world. That context I think will be important for the young audience that’s bound to attend. 

all said, if it moved tomorrow and implemented zero changes, I’m sure it would find an audience. A great night in the theatre!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#42SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 9/10/22 at 11:32am

This has been extended one week.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

CarmenA3 Profile Photo
CarmenA3
#43SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 9/10/22 at 1:32pm

ACL2006 said: "This has been extended one week."

Thanks for posting - just booked for the 8th :)

Lina Lamont
#44SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 9/11/22 at 8:10pm

I had a chance to see this over the weekend and found the show very charming.  The first time “Up” was featured was an electric moment- you could feel the audience’s enjoyment, and I saw quite a few people bobbing their heads and feet along to the beat.  The costumes- Raphina’s in particular- were excellent, and the 80s soundtrack playing before the show was the perfect way to start the theater experience.

I enjoyed the show overall but agree it has some narrative weaknesses at the moment.  As others have mentioned, the non-diegetic songs are not working- especially the short interlude given to the mother and father.   I would cut both that and the Brother’s song (the religious Brother, that is, not Connor’s brother)- neither does anything for the story.

The oddest part to me was the ending.  I’ve not seen the film, and perhaps I was really misreading things, but I REALLY thought we were being set up for a tragedy for Brendan’s story.  It felt dark and ominous and foreboding- was I just reading into things that weren't there?  I realized I was wrong midway through the final number, but was SHOCKED when the house lights came up for the curtain call.  That was the end?  With that many storylines left without resolution?  It felt abrupt.

Overall, I was glad to have seen it, and really think it’s got potential.  I enjoyed it the most of the 3 Boston tryouts I got to see this summer (1776 and A Beautiful Noise being the others).  It would be nice to see this one get a shot.

Updated On: 9/12/22 at 08:10 PM

incomesabby
#45SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 9/12/22 at 1:05am

Went back for my second viewing tonight! Have an updated song list according to my better memory this time (:

Act 1: Take on Me (just the recording), Riddle of the Model, Up, Up (Raphina Reprise), the mom song, A Beautiful Sea (act 1 closer)

Act 2 (approximate order): Dream For You (act 2 opener), Girls, Up (Conor Reprise), To Find You, Dream For You (Conor Reprise), Drive It Like You Stole It, Faith of our Fathers, Brown Shoes, To Find You (Raphina/Conor Reprise), Go Now

Courtnee as Raphina really stood out tonight!!! She has grown into the role a ton since I last saw, and I was already very impressed the first time.

In terms of changes since the first preview 8/26, I especially liked the addition of the live video feed during DILYSI (had just been pre-recorded projections before) and the changes made to the curtain call / bows. Also I can’t pinpoint exact line cuts or anything like that, but the book/script felt like it had been cleaned up a lot and that the show had gained focus. That’s a huge win from my perspective. I know someone above spoke about how it could still be tighter, but I think the changes they have made to get even here are significantly helpful. Still agree that multiple songs could use a better button to encourage applause. Also I don't love the ending on the Brendan/Conor photo. I don't think most of the audience is understanding that.

Even though there’s still some questions I have or changes I’d consider, I loved this viewing overall and really hope the production goes far. I spoke to some of the actors after the show and they made a comment about how it’s practically an entirely different show from when I first saw it, so I’m mainly just happy to see and hear that they’ve continued working on it so much!

Updated On: 9/21/22 at 01:05 AM

incomesabby
#46SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 9/12/22 at 1:09am

JBroadway said: "Can someone say which songs are in the show, compared to the cast album? Are there are any songs added or cut?

Note also that they wrote a song called "Love and Stars" for Raphina to sing, which was going to be in the Broadway transfer, but isn't on the cast album.
"

definitely no "Love and Stars"

dramamama611
#47SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 9/12/22 at 2:48pm

I finally watched the film and, at least, understand the endings to some of the music (and it seems largely unchanged).  The band's PERFORMANCES have a "pretend" audience that has been instructed to cheer, the non-performed songs have dialogue or reaction to create the button - none of which works for live theater.....oof.

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#48SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 9/12/22 at 3:05pm

I saw this Labor Day weekend and absolutely loved it (I also saw it at NYTW and loved it then - my wife liked it at NYTW, but loved it in this iteration).

I agree they could work a bit on smoothing out some transitions and finding a better balance between showing Conor's home life and school/band life, but for me the show is so full of heart that those little things they could improve upon don't keep me from enjoying the show at all.

The cast was excellent and the brother relationship is extremely moving. I love the songs - I find them to encompass the feeling of "happy-sad" that they talk about in the show. (Although some better buttons on them would definitely help!)

Definitely hoping this has a further life after Boston.

incomesabby
#49SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 9/14/22 at 12:52pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/VIDEO-First-Look-at-Up-From-SING-STREETat-The-Huntington-20220913

Perfect example of a great performance that's lacking the clear button at the end to initiate audience applause.