pixeltracker

BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway- Page 2

BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#26BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/20/22 at 8:00pm

How is this a recurring theme? Why can't producers inform the cast and crew first?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BETTY22
#27BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/20/22 at 8:03pm

This theater has never been at the top of producers lists. I guess it's because it's located within a hotel.

laporms
#28BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/20/22 at 8:05pm

quizking101 said: "Hey, they at least got a chance to stick it to The Music Man"

I'm glad the show got a second chance and that it gave everyone in the company more time to put on a super fun show. 

I'd watch this show 525,600 times before jumping into the line to sit through the museum exhibit that is "The Music Man." 

BoringBoredBoard40
#29BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/20/22 at 8:28pm

Closing is probably going to sell out before end of week

akhoya87
#30BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/20/22 at 8:37pm

Emmeline Carter said: "Did anyone manage to get orchestra tickets for January 8th (7:30 PM)? I jumped on the minute this was announced and all the front rows of the orchestra were gone. Is it possible they will release these later?? Thanks!"

I suspect that the producers may have blocked off these seats for friends/family of the show.  

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#31BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/20/22 at 8:37pm

quizking101 said: "Hey, they at least got a chance to stick it to The Music Man"

You mean the show that the show that lost all its money in not one but two runs, stuck it to the show that tripled its investment?

Lol

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#32BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/20/22 at 8:48pm

^ These Beetlejuice fans sound like MAGA’s insisting trump won.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#33BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/20/22 at 8:56pm

JBroadway said: "Flopping? Most likely, yes. Flopping twice? No. Anyone who thinks that is blatantly misremembering the sequence of events."

EDIT: re-assessing this post of mine, in the event that the two runs were capitalized and funded separately. If that’s the case, then yes technically it flopped twice. But I was under the impression that this was treated as “re-opening in a new theatre” financially speaking: not unlike any other show that moves theatres during its run, except with a big gap in between due to COVID. If that’s the case, then it wouldn’t be accurate to say it lost all its money twice. 

But the underlying point I was making stands, which is to say: using “it flopped twice” as a jab at the show is pretty silly. Because its first “flop” (if indeed that’s what it was, financially speaking) wasn’t correlated with the grosses it was bringing in at the time. 

Updated On: 9/20/22 at 08:56 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#34BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/20/22 at 9:51pm

Fun show, really enjoyed it. Worst part was waiting in line with those die hard fans that literally thought that saying his names three times would bring demons into their life (for real). WILD. 

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#35BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/20/22 at 11:17pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "https://twitter.com/michaelhullnyc/status/1572361635398057986"

My friend is a member of the show's crew, and indeed they found out by way of the press and not by way of anyone involved with the show. The cast, however, was informed. But not the crew.

I recognize it's a lot of moving parts to confirm closing, plan a press release, and communicate to many people at once in advance without it leaking, but...somehow shows have been able to consistently do this for decades. Producers - and people who like to leak info - need to be a hair more caring about the people actually affected by this mishandling.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#36BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/21/22 at 12:15am

Jordan Catalano said: "^ These Beetlejuice fans sound like MAGA’s insisting trump won."

Truly. Let this awful show rest in peace, literally.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

laporms
#37BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/21/22 at 12:16am

In addition, I definitely believe that the age group that loves this show is not old enough to travel over state lines. Instead, they resorted to one of the hundreds of bootlegs that have been recorded and disseminated so they could see a show they'd never be able to see otherwise. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#38BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/21/22 at 8:52am

What a depressing time for Broadway. I feel like it's dying.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

inception Profile Photo
inception
#39BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/21/22 at 9:53am

Lot666 said: "What a depressing time for Broadway. I feel like it's dying."

Shows close every year.  Tootsie had to close so that the Marquis was available. Would you rather have had Tootsie reopened?

It is like when trees lose their leaves in the Autumn, and those fallen leaves fertilize the ground, & the tree grows stronger.

On two trips to NYC I had the opportunity to see this show & passed, but perhaps some young person saw it & was inspired by the potential of the theatre.  Maybe they will compose or create something exciting in years to come.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#40BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/21/22 at 9:55am

Lot666 said: "What a depressing time for Broadway. I feel like it's dying."

bwaydreamer
#41BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/21/22 at 11:20am

Kad said: "quizking101 said: "Hey, they at least got a chance to stick it to The Music Man"

By flopping twice while the Music Man basically printed money?
"

Did the Music Man print money??  It makes a lot a week but they haven't even recouped yet and probably won't until very close to closing.  It was great for Broadway overall but hardly a huge financial hit.  People don't realize how much Hugh takes home each week.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#42BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/21/22 at 11:44am

^curious to know why you say Music Man hasn’t recouped yet? Do you have inside info? I’m genuinely curious. 

If you’re just going based off the lack of announcement, I don’t think that really applies. Seems like shows have stopped announcing recoupment since the pandemic. 

Looking at the numbers, it seems likely that they’ve recouped by now, even with their high capitalization and high running costs. But I don’t actually know what their running’s costs are, nor do I have inside info as to whether they’ve recouped. If anyone does know, I’d be curious to find out. 

Updated On: 9/21/22 at 11:44 AM

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#43BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/21/22 at 12:07pm

It hasn’t recouped but will by closing per Kate Horton, one of the lead producers. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#44BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/21/22 at 12:19pm

Bette's Hello Dolly barely made its money back so to whomever said it made back triple the investment...nah it didn't. It'll squeak by, but is still considered a "hit." 

I thought Beetlejuice was a lot of fun, but with the current economy, would I splurge on a show that was "fun?" Probably not. 

Pashacar
#45BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/21/22 at 1:22pm

blaxx said: "Jordan Catalano said: "^ These Beetlejuice fans sound like MAGA’s insisting trump won."

Truly. Let this awful show rest in peace, literally.
"

Yep. Beetlejuice (the musical) has major MAGA energy.

bwaydreamer
#46BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/21/22 at 4:22pm

JBroadway said: "^curious to know why you say Music Man hasn’t recouped yet? Do you have inside info? I’m genuinely curious.

If you’re just going based off the lack of announcement, I don’t think that really applies. Seems like shows have stopped announcing recoupment since the pandemic.

Looking at the numbers, it seems likely that they’ve recouped by now, even with their high capitalization and high running costs. But I don’t actually know what their running’s costs are, nor do I have inside info as to whether they’ve recouped. If anyone does know, I’d be curious to find out.
"

Yea just going off what the producers of Music Man have said themselves.  And them simply saying it will recoup does not mean it actually will.  I'm sure they have hope but it's not a sure thing, especially in the time of Covid.  Also it won't tour because no one wants to see it so they won't make money there either.  I have nothing against MM, it's just not this huge hit people want to make it out to be.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#47BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/21/22 at 4:40pm

I mean it's for sure a hit. But it's a huge cast/show, so it's probably making a little bit of money but I can't imagine they're going to triple their investment. 

bwaydreamer
#48BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/21/22 at 7:59pm

I guess my question is then "what constitutes a hit?" because MM has not recouped yet and we aren't sure it's going to.  So if a show makes 3 million a week but cost 2.5 million to run and doesn't recoup, is it still a hit?  

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#49BEETLEJUICE Sets January 8 Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 9/21/22 at 9:49pm

I think everyone in this thread who's calling Music Man a "hit" are doing so under the assumption that it will recoup - which it seemingly, most likely will do. The question being raised seems to be more about whether it's actually lucrative for its investors, or whether it will be a modest return.

In any case, is $2.5MM/week a realistic figure? I've never heard of a show costing even close to that amount, but I don't have a ton of data points. Seems like that's a ludicrously high number. I would've thought it was closer to $1.1MM, or $1.5MM at the most.