Guys and Dolls - Kennedy Center

TheOrpheumCircuit
#1Guys and Dolls - Kennedy Center
Posted: 10/8/22 at 10:38am

Anyone see this new production last night? 

seriously13
#2Guys and Dolls - Kennedy Center
Posted: 10/10/22 at 3:40pm

Yes, thought it was excellent! Phillipa Soo and Jessie Mueller were the highlights for me!

JasonC3
#3Guys and Dolls - Kennedy Center
Posted: 10/10/22 at 4:05pm

Rave review from Peter Marks at the Washington Post.

https://wapo.st/3CpRfrl. Gift link.

"I’m calling on some higher authority to step in and order a stay of disassembly, and to hold the actors, led by Jessie Mueller, Phillipa Soo, James Monroe Iglehart and Steven Pasquale, at the D.C. border. Only 10 performances? For this magnitude of delight, let alone inspiration? May some exalted eminence hear my plea and preserve this experience, or, at least, spirit the whole kit and caboodle — set pieces, props, costumes, orchestra, dancers, stars, da woiks — to another locale and a future life. (Did I hear someone mention Times Square?)"

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#4Guys and Dolls - Kennedy Center
Posted: 10/10/22 at 4:43pm

Are there whispers of a Broadway transfer? This cast is too good to be just a week long production. 

barcelona20
#5Guys and Dolls - Kennedy Center
Posted: 10/10/22 at 5:30pm

Maybe they can do the same thing with this show as they did with Into the Woods.

akhoya87
#6Guys and Dolls - Kennedy Center
Posted: 10/10/22 at 5:38pm

HenryTDobson said: "Are there whispers of a Broadway transfer? This cast is too good to be just a week long production."

I'm still smarting over the fact that we were deprived of a Norm Lewis/Jessie Mueller Music Man...

Updated On: 10/10/22 at 05:38 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#7Guys and Dolls - Kennedy Center
Posted: 10/10/22 at 6:13pm

Please have this transfer to Bway!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

RunnyBabbit
#8Guys and Dolls - Kennedy Center
Posted: 10/10/22 at 11:41pm

akhoya87 said: "I'm still smarting over the fact that we were deprived of a Norm Lewis/Jessie Mueller Music Man..."

That production was glorious.  It’s so disappointing that we got the incredibly lackluster (and poorly sung) Jackman production on Broadway instead.

TheOrpheumCircuit
#9Guys and Dolls - Kennedy Center
Posted: 10/11/22 at 11:15am

I did see this production finally, and it's very good. I was most impressed with Jessie Mueller and Steven Pasquale. Pasquale surprised me with his ability to really command the role of Sky Masterson. James Monroe Iglehart was a disappointing Nathan Detroit IMHO. He was fine, and he's obviously a talented guy, but I felt like he missed most of the opportunities for laughs. I didn't think he was a good fit. Kevin Chamberlin really had fun with his role, and Rachel Dratch as Big Jule was a hoot. Philippa Soo was her usual wonderful self, but we noticed that she turned away from the stage more than once to sneeze as quietly as she could. Hope she isn't sick! Her voice was in good form. That's my two cents.

JasonC3
#10Guys and Dolls - Kennedy Center
Posted: 10/11/22 at 12:22pm

Pasquale strikes me as the perfect Sky Masterson.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#11Guys and Dolls - Kennedy Center
Posted: 10/11/22 at 2:16pm

Very enthusiastic crowd!

Curtain Call

RWPrincess
#12Guys and Dolls - Kennedy Center
Posted: 10/11/22 at 2:19pm

I saw this over the weekend and loved it. My only regret was not springing for the closer seats. Steve Pasquale and Kevin Chamberlin were the standouts for me. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#13Guys and Dolls - Kennedy Center
Posted: 10/11/22 at 2:48pm

morosco said: "Very enthusiastic crowd!

Curtain Call
"

Wow, that orchestra layout looks just like that of Chicago.

Oh look, a bibu!

pdjennings Profile Photo
pdjennings
#14Guys and Dolls - Kennedy Center
Posted: 10/12/22 at 7:58pm

Here tonight! Dunno what the use will be, if anything, but there’s a multi-camera crew here set up to film. 

SisterGeorge
#15Guys and Dolls - Kennedy Center
Posted: 10/16/22 at 1:29pm

Saw it yesterday (next to last performance) and it was great fun, but not quite the euphorically transcendental evening the over-the-top reviews led me to believe I'd experience. Maybe if everyone had been on the same extraordinary level as the more-I-can-not-wish-for Steven Pasquale? He was perfection.

Soo was in gorgeous voice, but unintelligible in her upper range (and in this score you want to hear every word!), and a little wan (some of that is the role?).  Mueller is adorable but not quite a sublime Adelaide (I don't think Inglehart helped her much and her Hot Box numbers could have used a few more back-up dancers). Dratch was the epitome of stunt casting (if you love her you love her, otherwise, meh).

The Orchestra, chorus, and dancers, though, were on fire; and the staging and choreography exceptional, especially given the limitation of having to share the stage with the sizable orchestra. And special shout-out to the incredibly beautiful projections which took us seamlessly where the plot wants us to go, from the bright lights of Broadway to the luscious tropical paradise that was Havana.

Now on to Sunset Boulevard!

Sister George

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#16Guys and Dolls - Kennedy Center
Posted: 10/16/22 at 5:44pm

Saw the final performance today and agree that Pasquale is the standout, by far. I liked Jessie more than others, I guess and just wonder what she’d be able to do with the role with a few more weeks to play around. Soo sounded glorious (of course) and Chamberlin was just perfectly cast. Iglehart, I thought, was fine. Not a standout in any way but serviceable in the role. Dratch was a hoot and honest to God until she appeared on stage I had forgotten she was in this so I just burst out laughing. Let’s make sure she becomes a regular on stage because she’s just too good to not be constantly working.

I asked if they had any merch for the show and the lady said no and that for “these pre Broadway shows they usually get stuff”. I asked her about that and she said “oh I thought that’s what they were doing”. So…..who knows. 

VintageSnarker
#17Guys and Dolls - Kennedy Center
Posted: 10/16/22 at 6:56pm

HenryTDobson said: "Are there whispers of a Broadway transfer? This cast is too good to be just a week long production."

Who holds the rights?

Videos