pixeltracker

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - Reviews & News Thread- Page 4

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - Reviews & News Thread

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#75A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 7:46pm

Show score has it at 79% currently.

https://www.show-score.com/broadway-shows/a-beautiful-noise-the-neil-diamond-musical-broadway

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#76A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 8:11pm

https://www.theatermania.com/broadway/reviews/review-neil-diamond-musical-a-beautiful-noise_94623.html

"Review: Neil Diamond Musical A Beautiful Noise Is So Meh, So Meh, So Meh

But the AARP crowd will love it."

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#77A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 8:13pm

His target audience is clearly where they're pitching ticket sales.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

TaffyDavenport
#78A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 8:38pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/04/theater/a-beautiful-noise-review.html

"Review: ‘A Beautiful Noise’ Makes for a Morose Neil Diamond Musical

In the new Broadway show, Will Swenson plays the superstar, who seems perpetually dissatisfied, as if on a quest — but for what?"

TaffyDavenport
TaffyDavenport
#80A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 8:49pm

https://nypost.com/2022/12/04/neil-diamond-musical-review-awful-broadway-show-is-on-the-rocks/

"‘A Beautiful Noise, the Neil Diamond Musical’ review: Awful Broadway show is on the rocks"

TaffyDavenport
#81A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 8:52pm

https://deadline.com/2022/12/aint-no-mo-beautiful-noise-neil-diamond-musical-broadway-reviews-1235188689/

"A Beautiful Noise – The Neil Diamond Musical is, alas, neither bold nor, in any meaningful way, new. A by-the-numbers jukebox bio-musical that lacks the necessary galvanizing, dramatically intriguing central force of a Tina Turner (or a forget-everything-else-and-just-watch-the-star performance of Tina‘s Adrienne Warren), Beautiful Noise is a lackluster affair despite its countless sequins."

akhoya87
#82A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 8:58pm

Adam Feldman of Time Out gives it three stars (out of five):

"In the end, A Beautiful Noise can’t overcome the central challenge of being a Neil Diamond biomusical, which is that Diamond’s life has not been, in and of itself, especially dramatic. (The Gloria Estefan musical On Your Feet! had the same problem.) His first two marriages failed, but in drifts and not crashes; an association with mob-linked record executives (Michael McCormick and Tom Alan Robbins) is quickly overcome. The therapeutic framing notwithstanding, what we get here is less a story than a retrospective sequence of events, or perhaps events of sequins."

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/theater/a-beautiful-noise-neil-diamond-musical-broadway-review-will-swensen

TaffyDavenport
#83A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 9:01pm

https://www.thewrap.com/beautiful-noise-neil-diamond-musical-review/

"‘A Beautiful Noise, The Neil Diamond Musical’ Review: A Bio-Musical That Tries So Hard, So Hard, So Hard"

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#84A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 9:03pm

Essentially mixed reviews which is what I was expecting.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#85A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 9:42pm

Neil Diamond himself led the company in tonight's "Sweet Caroline" reprise at curtain call:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClxPtd5D2nX/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Oh look, a bibu!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#86A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 9:44pm

DTLI Consensus: So bad! So bad! So bad!

8 negative, 6 mixed (including the NYT), 1 positive. 

https://didtheylikeit.com/shows/a-beautiful-noise/

Oh look, a bibu!

Jarethan
#87A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 10:14pm

Based on seeing this in Boston, I expected these reviews, maybe even worse, e.g., the Times review was mixes…I expected a pan, but it wasn’t Jesse Green.

I was a little surprised that Will Swenson’s reviews were so mediocre…I thought his charisma would have resulted in better than he received.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#88A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 10:38pm

Jarethan said: "I was a little surprised that Will Swenson’s reviews were so mediocre…I thought his charisma would have resulted in better than he received."

Despite the track records for both biographical performances at award shows and Anthony McCarten's background in writing biopics that won Oscars for Best Actor, it doesn't look like Will Swenson's gonna even receive a Tony nomination for this.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#89A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 10:59pm

ACL2006 said: "Essentially mixed reviews which is what I was expecting."

Love, those awful reviews are not mixed in any multiverse.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#90A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 11:12pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Neil Diamond himself led the company in tonight's "Sweet Caroline" reprise at curtain call:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClxPtd5D2nX/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
"

Was there and it was fun. I heard he was actually going to do it before the show but that was not done, evidently. An email evidently went out announcing it to his fans.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 12/5/22 at 11:12 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#91A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 11:38pm

The NYT review isn’t bad considering the other reviews. There’s quotes they can pull from it and it’s encouraging to the Diamond Diehards (if not the people who were never going to see this).

I’m curious how long the audience of diehards can sustain this. Does it end up like SUMMER or MJ or something in between?

MadsonMelo
#92A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 11:42pm

Those are awful reviews, I would say as bad as ''Almost Famous''... maybe worse?

And for sure this is a ''Summer''.

BETTY22
#93A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/5/22 at 8:47am

I was there last night and when Neil entered the theatre the place exploded.

The show is fast and fun. It's not going to win awards, but I do think it will find an audience. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#94A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/5/22 at 9:33am

I think it comes down to whether this will be the next Cher Show/Summer or the next Beautiful or Mamma Mia.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#95A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/5/22 at 10:32am

Just noticed that Charles Isherwood wrote the review for the Wall Street Journal. He's written the last few reviews from them. Has he officially replaced Terry Teachout as the drama critic?

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#96A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/5/22 at 1:24pm

I was there last night; while it's certainly not mind-numbingly brilliant...I thought it was really a lot fun. I see this one sticking around. While its not as strong as BEAUTIFUL or JERSEY BOYS, I thought it was way better than SUMMER and THE CHER SHOW, which I think were conceptually flawed...and pretty much on par with MJ, if less splashy. I had a lot more fun at ABN than I did at a handful of other new musicals as of late (ALMOST FAMOUS and SUFFS come to mind).

I certainly was never challenged...but I was also never bored!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#97A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/5/22 at 4:06pm

inlovewithjerryherman said: 

I certainly was never challenged...but I was also never bored!"

That's a perfect quote for the marketing team right there!

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#98A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/5/22 at 4:48pm

Right?! Hire me, Ken!

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#99A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/5/22 at 11:58pm

ACL2006 said: "I think it comes down to whether this will be the next Cher Show/Summer or the next Beautiful or Mamma Mia."

I think it's pretty clear that it's the former...