#1GROFF is out tonight - Oops...wrong!
Posted: 12/15/22 at 8:36pm

Anybody know why?  

OOPS - My mistake. Franklin Shepard JR’s alternate was on 

Updated On: 12/17/22 at 08:36 PM

JasonC3
#2GROFF is out tonight
Posted: 12/15/22 at 9:00pm

Still in shock over the Square One announcement hoax.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3GROFF is out tonight
Posted: 12/15/22 at 9:01pm

What?!?!?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

halfhourcheckwithmerman
#4GROFF is out tonight
Posted: 12/15/22 at 9:07pm

ACL2006 said: "What?!?!?"

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Sorry-Sondheims-SQUARE-ONE-is-Not-Coming-to-Broadway-20221215

(Don't know anything about Groff)

"I feel safe with you, and complete with you / I'm always finding money in the street with you." -Sheldon Harnick

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#5GROFF is out tonight
Posted: 12/15/22 at 9:15pm

halfhourcheckwithmerman said: "ACL2006 said: "What?!?!?"

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Sorry-Sondheims-SQUARE-ONE-is-Not-Coming-to-Broadway-20221215

"

I'm assuming this is in regards to MERRILY. Is is COVID? It's a one week run, suck it up!!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#6GROFF is out tonight
Posted: 12/15/22 at 9:16pm

Who is on? Corey Mach? 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#7GROFF is out tonight
Posted: 12/15/22 at 9:25pm

ACL2006 said: "halfhourcheckwithmerman said: "ACL2006 said: "What?!?!?"

"

I'm assuming this is in regards to MERRILY. Is is COVID? It's a one week run, suck it up!!
"

One week? Its running for two months...its started performances around Thanksgiving and going thru 1/22. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#8GROFF is out tonight
Posted: 12/15/22 at 9:26pm

steven22 said: "Who is on? Corey Mach?"

He's the only u/s for Groff.

willep
#9GROFF is out tonight
Posted: 12/15/22 at 9:38pm

ACL2006 said: "halfhourcheckwithmerman said: "ACL2006 said: "What?!?!?"

"

"

Wtf are you talking about, it isn’t a one week run.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#10GROFF is out tonight
Posted: 12/15/22 at 11:13pm

From what I can gather he was on tonight…

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#11GROFF is out tonight
Posted: 12/15/22 at 11:26pm

Willing to bet the OP saw the signs in the theater saying 

AT THIS PERFORMANCE Franklin Shepard, JR WILL BE PLAYED BY...

Which references the child actor playing Franklin's son, Frankie, and NOT Groff who plays Franklin Shephard, Sr. It confuses a lot of people.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#12GROFF is out tonight
Posted: 12/15/22 at 11:27pm

My friend went tonight and raved but didn't mention the absence. I'll follow up.

There's a little sign at the box office that indicates "At Tonight's Performance The Role of Franklin Shepard Jr will be played by..." And the GASPS from the queens picking up tickets echoed throughout the lobby. Folks thought that meant Jonathan Groff wasn't performing but of course it just indicates which child actor is on for the evening. It's possible someone mistook the sign for his absence.

Jesus saves. I spend.

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#13GROFF is out tonight
Posted: 12/15/22 at 11:28pm

popular_elphie said: "Willing to bet the OP saw the signs in the theater saying

AT THIS PERFORMANCE Franklin Shepard, JR WILL BE PLAYED BY...

Which references the child actor playing Franklin's son, Frankie, and NOT Groff who plays Franklin Shephard, Sr. It confuses a lot of people.
"

Ahhhhh,,,,,,,thanks.......YAY!

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#14GROFF is out tonight
Posted: 12/16/22 at 12:06am

They should change that sign to say “Frankie” because it’s very confusing . There were multiple gasps and then the box office people saying “no that’s not Jonathan Groff”

52889j
#15GROFF is out tonight
Posted: 12/16/22 at 4:20pm

raddersons said: "They should change that sign to say “Frankie” because it’s very confusing . There were multiple gasps and then the box office people saying “no that’s not Jonathan Groff”"

The sign has the children's headshots on it. 

StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#16GROFF is out tonight
Posted: 12/16/22 at 6:55pm

Was Jonathan Groff in tonight, Friday, Dec 16... and potentially in the show on the weekend? My tickets are for Saturday Dec 17 matinee. Fingers crossed.

LexiGirl Profile Photo
LexiGirl
#17GROFF is out tonight
Posted: 12/17/22 at 1:03am

StageDoor3 said: "Was Jonathan Groff in tonight, Friday, Dec 16... and potentially in the show on the weekend? My tickets are for Saturday Dec 17 matinee. Fingers crossed."

Yes, he was in on Friday night. The couple in front of me looked at the slip in the program announcing who was on as Frank Jr. and thought it meant Jonathan was out, too. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#18GROFF is out tonight
Posted: 12/17/22 at 7:03am

Can we edit the subject title so we don't mislead? Seems unfair if people read the subject to think Groff is missing performance when he isn't. Between Square One and this that is enough Sondheim fake news for one day!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#19GROFF is out tonight
Posted: 12/17/22 at 6:09pm

binau said: "Can we edit the subject title so we don't mislead? Seems unfair if people read the subject to think Groff is missing performance when he isn't. Between Square One and this that is enough Sondheim fake news for one day!"

Done.