pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 1:39pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 12/18/2022 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: AIN'T NO MO' (46%), THE COLLABORATION (10.6%), BETWEEN RIVERSIDE AND CRAZY (10.4%), BEETLEJUICE (5.6%), INTO THE WOODS (3.9%), 1776 (2.7%), HADESTOWN (2.4%), A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1.5%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (0.4%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (0.2%), WICKED (0.2%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: OHIO STATE MURDERS (-20.3%), SOME LIKE IT HOT (-17.2%), LEOPOLDSTADT (-7.5%), KIMBERLY AKIMBO (-7.1%), ALMOST FAMOUS (-6.2%), MIKE BIRBIGLIA: THE OLD MAN & THE POOL (-6.1%), A BEAUTIFUL NOISE, THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL (-4.4%), TAKE ME OUT (-4.2%), FUNNY GIRL (-3.6%), A STRANGE LOOP (-3.5%), ALADDIN (-3.4%), & JULIET (-3.4%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (-2.4%), THE PIANO LESSON (-2.2%), THE LION KING (-1.5%), THE MUSIC MAN (-1.3%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-1.1%), CHICAGO (-1%), SIX (-1%), TOPDOG / UNDERDOG (-0.8%), DEATH OF A SALESMAN (-0.7%), HAMILTON (-0.6%), MJ THE MUSICAL (-0.3%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 1:57pm

What an interesting week. 

Crushed about Kimberly Akimbo. Hoping it's just a momentary setback. 

Glad to see Grosses are up overall though, but it seems strangely uneven. Funny Girl up past $2 million, but MJ down? Those shows have been so similar all of the Fall. 

A lot of the other touristy shows are also all over the place. Hamilton, Wicked, Cursed Child are all up, but Music Man and Moulin are down. 

Happy to see Some Like it Hot doing better! Hoping that that show can pull through too! 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 1:57pm

Shame most shows lost money this week with Christmas around the corner. 

Unsurprisingly, the newer titles look like they're screwed. Kimberly Akimbo is dancing with death, it's likely the small jump for Some Like It Hot will be a fluke, and & Juliet is holding the dagger in its hands. 

Oh look, a bibu!

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 2:04pm

“ it's likely the small jump for Some Like It Hot will be a fluke, and & Juliet is holding the dagger in its hands.”

you are quite literally just saying words. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 2:04pm

Love to see that jump for AINT NO MO even though we know it’s from all the buyouts. Granted, when I went on Sunday, aside from a few seats, the house was FULL.

I wonder how one decides to pull the plug. One could’ve guessed that TOPDOG/UNDERDOG would’ve gotten the chop a long time ago with anemic grosses and capacity - but as a two-hander on a single set, it was probably cheap to run, salaries aside

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 2:05pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Shame most shows lost money this week with Christmas around the corner.

Unsurprisingly, the newer titles look like they're screwed.Kimberly Akimbois dancing with death, it's likely the small jump forSome Like It Hotwill be a fluke, and& Julietis holding the dagger in its hands.
"

I really don't understand what numbers you are looking at for &Juliet. Is the dagger you spoke of one you used to carve out your eyes? I have a hard time understanding how you look at a show consistently making a million dollars per week in a 1000-seat there and say it's on death's door. 

Kimberly Akimbo needs to start really catching on, but I also wouldn't be surprised if David Stone is prepared for this and has the cash to keep it open until awards season. 

I don't understand how you could have anywhere close to enough evidence to make the inference that Some Like it Hot is a fluke. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 2:13pm

Why are only tge grosses for week ending 12/11 showing up? 

OhHiii
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 2:13pm

jkcohen626 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Shame most shows lost money this week with Christmas around the corner.

Unsurprisingly, the newer titles look like they're screwed.Kimberly Akimbois dancing with death, it's likely the small jump forSome Like It Hotwill be a fluke, and& Julietis holding the dagger in its hands.
"

I really don't understand what numbers you are looking at for &Juliet. Is the dagger you spoke of one you used to carve out your eyes? I have a hard time understanding how you look at a show consistently making a million dollars per week in a 1000-seat there and say it's on death's door.
"

You should re-read their original comment again. They're wildly wrong, but their implication is that because &Juliet is doing well, they're the reason Some Like It Hot will be soon to close. Utter nonsense lol.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 2:14pm

quizking101 said: "Love to see that jump for AINT NO MO even though we know it’s from all the buyouts. Granted, when I went on Sunday, aside from a few seats, the house was FULL.

I wonder how one decides to pull the plug. One could’ve guessed that TOPDOG/UNDERDOG would’ve gotten the chop a long time ago with anemic grosses and capacity - but as a two-hander on a single set, it was probably cheap to run, salaries aside
"

I'm SOOOO curious about what star salaries are in plays. How much are Corey and Yahya making? What about Samuel L. Jackson, John David Washington, Paul Bettany, or Common? I know the latter two are at non-profits, so I'm guessing it's a lot less. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 2:16pm

Kimberly still refuses to discount any decent orchestra seats. I don’t get it.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 2:19pm

jkcohen626 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Shame most shows lost money this week with Christmas around the corner.

"

Kimberly Akimbo needs to start really catching on, but I also wouldn't be surprised if David Stone is prepared for this and has the cash to keep it open until awards season.

I don't understand how you could have anywhere close to enough evidence to make the inference that Some Like it Hot is a fluke.
"

& Juliet has only joined the seven-figure club for the holiday season (these last few weeks or so), so I'll assume with the traditional post-New Year audience plummet, we may potentially see weekly totals starting mid-January around 600 to 800K. 

Akimbo is looking ugly, but you may be right about Stone. If not for the big-time cash he's earned from Wicked, KA probably would have closed by now.

The dead-of-winter plummet might also hit Some Like It Hot pretty hard as well.

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 12/20/22 at 02:19 PM

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 2:23pm

Wow! What a week. These numbers are all over the place and pretty disheartening especially during prime tourist season. It seems like a rave from the NYT is no longer the "golden ticket" it once was. I think KA is going to be a roller coaster week to week and really needs to figure out a better way to get the word out.  SLIH's little increase after those reviews really doesn't look good.  And yet, A Beautiful Noise is raking it in at this point after awful reviews.  I'm shocked that A Christmas Carol is actually doing far better business than a lot of shows. Kudos to Phantom for packing the houses. Still shocked about the producers decision to bring Take Me Out back.  I think they really misjudged that one. 

OhHiii
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 2:29pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Akimbo is looking ugly, but you may be right about Stone. If not for the big-time cash he's earned from Wicked, KA probably would have closed by now."

It's always funny to me when this comes up. Lead Producers VERY rarely have their own money in a show. Wicked's success has zero to do with him keeping KA open. Like The Prom which was run at a loss for months and months to make it to the Tonys in 2019 eyeing the off chance it could pull Best Musical out over Hadestown, it's very much the same case here. 

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 2:33pm

OhHiii said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Akimbois looking ugly, but you may be right about Stone. If not for the big-time cash he's earned fromWicked, KA probably would have closed by now."

It's always funny to me when this comes up. Lead Producers VERY rarely have their own money in a show. Wicked's success has zero to do with him keeping KA open. Like The Prom which was run at a loss for months and months to make it to the Tonys in 2019 eyeing the off chance it could pull Best Musical out over Hadestown, it's very much the same case here.
"

EXACTLY! Each production is independent. It's not like David Stone is going to his Wicked investors and saying...  "Are you all cool if I don't pay you rn so that I can dump the Wicked overages into KA?" haha

SouthernCakes
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 2:40pm

I think what they’re saying is if Stone and partners are making 10% from Wicked they are just reinvesting it in Kimberly. If he can make Gent’s Guide work in a very similar situation, then I think the show is in good hands. 

What a depressing Tony awards when everything is closed up by June. 

chrishuyen
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 2:41pm

I thought it was interesting that Some Like It Hot had a pretty significant dip in capacity but still rose in grosses overall.  Were there fewer discounts this week leading up to Christmas, or just tourists who don't know to look for discounted seats?  Though I know people mentioned that there aren't all that many discounts for this show to start with.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 2:46pm

jkcohen626 said: "quizking101 said: "Love to see that jump for AINT NO MO even though we know it’s from all the buyouts. Granted, when I went on Sunday, aside from a few seats, the house was FULL.

"

I'm SOOOO curious about what star salaries are in plays. How much are Corey and Yahya making? What about Samuel L. Jackson, John David Washington, Paul Bettany, or Common? I know the latter two are at non-profits, so I'm guessing it's a lot less.
"

They are probably making scale, or not much more than that. I know Jesse Williams was making scale only for TAKE ME OUT, but now probably renegotiated a much higher salary for the return engagement since it’s a commercial production.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

BorisTomashevsky
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 2:49pm

chrishuyen said: "I thought it was interesting that Some Like It Hot had a pretty significant dip in capacity but still rose in grosses overall. Were there fewer discounts this week leading up to Christmas, or just tourists who don't know to look for discounted seats? Though I know people mentioned that there aren't all that many discounts for this show to start with."

Some Like It Hot did some down-low papering leading up to opening. So what we’re seeing here is fewer audience members watching for free compared to the previous week, and a couple more audience members paying for their tickets.

OhHiii
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 2:50pm

SouthernCakes said: "I think what they’re saying is if Stone and partners are making 10% from Wicked they are just reinvesting it in Kimberly."

And what we're saying is that this isn't how it works. They are not the same set of co-producers on both shows, so no. David Stone probably does have the investor pool and cred built up given his success to have a wealth of folks who will pour money into a sinking ship. But again, Wicked's success has less than zero to do with the funds keeping KA alive. Zero.

OhHiii
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 2:56pm

TotallyEffed said: "Kimberly still refuses to discount any decent orchestra seats. I don’t get it."

The Orchestra is where shows make their money. They very probably can't sustain further discounts in better Orch locations while also providing discounts on the parts of the theater that are actually hard to sell, i.e. upstairs. 

trpguyy
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 3:01pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "& Juliethas only joined the seven-figure club for the holiday season (these last few weeks or so), so I'll assume with the traditional post-New Year audience plummet, we may potentially see weekly totals starting mid-January…"

It’s only been running for 7 full weeks; the last 4 grossing $1m+. Hardly enough data to reach broad conclusions 

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 3:21pm

Hamilton bested by Lion King this week (by total gross) - intriguing! 

Top six (2-3 million club):

• Music Man
  • Lion King
  • Hamilton
  • Wicked
  • Phantom
  • Funny Girl
Updated On: 12/20/22 at 03:21 PM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 3:24pm

My heart doesn't know whether to weep or burst with joy over Phantom's numbers.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

taragel2
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 3:27pm

Deleted -- duplicate by accident

Updated On: 12/20/22 at 03:27 PM

taragel2
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/18/22
Posted: 12/20/22 at 3:28pm

Just saw this on Deadline:

‘Funny Girl’ Breaks House Record With $2M Take; ‘The Piano Lesson’ Tops Among Non-Musical Plays – Broadway Box Office

https://deadline.com/2022/12/broadway-box-office-funny-girl-aint-no-mo-piano-lesson-1235203471

Videos