pixeltracker

Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 7

Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

PipingHotPiccolo
#150Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/7/23 at 11:49pm

WiCkEDrOcKS said: "The fact that so much of the audience misses that final moment is absolutely absurd and infuriating.

I tend to enjoy Jamie Lloyd generally, but what the hell? How are you going to stage a moment like that out of the line of sight for 1/3 of the audience?! Wild.
"

Thank you. Im somewhat surprised at how willingly these boards have accepted this lazy insult.

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#151Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/8/23 at 12:07am

PipingHotPiccolo said: "WiCkEDrOcKS said: "The fact that so much of the audience misses that final moment is absolutely absurd and infuriating.

I tend to enjoy Jamie Lloyd generally, but what the hell? How are you going to stage a moment like that out of the line of sight for 1/3 of the audience?! Wild.
"

Thank you. Im somewhat surprised at how willingly these boards have accepted this lazy insult.
"

Well, what shall you have us do - run down to the Hudson with picket signs and demand they renovate the rear of the theater so it's more centrally positioned?

NoItAll
#152Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/8/23 at 12:58am

Has anyone considered the possibility this self-important, publicity-seeking director had Nora go out onto 45th St. not despite, but because a large part of the audience wouldn’t be able to see it? In any case, in the modern New York City suddenly shoved in the faces of 2/3 of a too-easily impressed audience, it would have been Torvald who was forced out that door, suitcase in hand, heading for a hotel stay until he found an apartment. Some things really have changed. So, yes, pocket Lloyd if you think it would do any good. but get the messages on the signs right.

JasonC3
#153Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/8/23 at 4:27pm

Somehow I've managed to make it well into adulthood without ever seeing a production of this play, so I don't know what I might have missed with this minimalist staging. Had a great seat in Dress Circle G108, smack in the center with a large pole to my right that allowed me space for storage on the floor next to my seat and ample legroom.

But I loved it.  A lot. I found the cast uniformly excellent.  Chastain sounded like she might be a bit under the weather, but it never affected her performance. It did take me a split second to quit thinking of Moayed in his role on Succession given how distinctive his voice is.

I could have done without such heavy-handed music while waiting for the show to begin.  I was surprised at how much laughter there was from the audience at the climactic moment.

But other than that, all I wanted was for an extended intermission followed by the same cast performing A Doll's House, Part 2 (which I have seen and loved). And then to see Laurie Metcalf do both parts tomorrow.

Updated On: 3/8/23 at 04:27 PM

JSquared2
#154Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/8/23 at 4:35pm

NoItAll said: "Has anyone considered the possibility this self-important, publicity-seeking director had Nora go out onto 45th St. not despite, but because a large part of the audience wouldn’t be able to see it? In any case, in the modern New York City suddenly shoved in the faces of 2/3 of a too-easily impressed audience, it would have been Torvald who was forced out that door, suitcase in hand, heading for a hotel stay until he found an apartment. Some things really have changed. So, yes, pocket Lloyd if you think it would do any good. but get the messages on the signs right."

Sounds like someone didn't get his Playbill signed by Jessica (or didn't get a callback)!  

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#155Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/8/23 at 4:48pm

This was a mixed bag for me. Jessica Chastain is absolutely excellent in the role and will get some well-deserved praise for it. 

But the direction seemed like it kept me at arms length the entire time. It made it difficult to connect emotionally with so much of the action. The stilted staging doesn't help. And I think people laugh at the ending because it lacks the power of the original where you see a woman walk out with her bags, and instead is simply a "oh wow look she's on the street" reaction...and then  whisks back into the theatre moments later (seriously, Chastain must absolutely sprint). They really need to give it several many beats with Torvald sitting there in shock after Nora's exit to give the action more weight. But this would require the direction to lean into the emotion of the play, which it doesn't. Also: why project the year of the play on stage when the dialogue has been redone to be more modern, nothing sets it in the time period, and then Nora literally ends up in present day at the end? If you're going to update it to now, just do it. And get rid of the timestamp at the top.

I also am finding it harder and harder to get excited about the non-stop parade of hyper minimalist revivals we are getting. Whenever I walk into the theater and see the exposed back of the stage as their production design "concept," I just sort of roll my eyes at this point and think "again?? People are spending hundreds of dollars for this, just build a set."

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#156Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/8/23 at 10:28pm

I found this to be rather weak. A chilly production with amateurish performances followed by an infuriating ending that generates laughter from those that can actually see it and total confusion from the half that cannot. Bizarre line readings that are mostly stilted and then at random pure melodrama, bordering camp. This is one of my favorite plays but this production was a disappointment.

The sound design was fantastic.

JasonC3
#157Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/9/23 at 12:09am

The sound design really is fantastic.  I felt like I was seated on stage next to the actors it was so good.

Voter
#158Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/9/23 at 1:13am

Went to the matinee on March 8. 

I thought this was a pretty good production and very modern. Jessica Chastain is a PHENOMENON. She is such a powerhouse and I hope she wins the Tony.

Oak (from Hamilton) was under-used in this production and hoped he more lines because he was well cast as the lawyer.

The play started at 2:08pm and ended at 3:55pm

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#159Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/9/23 at 9:57am

Question for those who have seen this (forgive me if it’s been asked and answered), but if I was looking at far side seats of the orchestra in Row N (either All the way to the left or right of the house), which would be a better view to see the show as a whole, and the ending? With a discount these are only $80 some days, so I’m weary and wanted to ask before buying.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#160Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/9/23 at 10:25am

gleek4114 said: "Question for those who have seen this (forgive me if it’s been asked and answered), but if I was looking at far side seats of the orchestra in Row N (either All the way to the left or right of the house), which would be a better view to see the show as a whole, and the ending? With a discount these are only $80 some days, so I’m weary and wanted to ask before buying."

You're going to want to sit house right.  

SisterGeorge
#161Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/9/23 at 2:10pm

It's the least effective Jamie Lloyd production I've seen (mostly due to the new text), but still very much worth seeing for all the other elements. I do think it's thrilling how we get to experience Nora's  world almost exclusively through her.  Of course it's not the only way to do A Doll's House, but how lucky to get this unique, audacious, not-quite-but-almost successful version of this oft-produced play. And yes, Chastain is mesmerizing. 

I was in the center front half of the Orch, though, and would guess the returns diminish rapidly the further away or to the left one sits. Salonga and Llana sat right in front of me, and I'm happy to report they both looked fabulous and did not sing along with the score.

Sister George

JSquared2
#162Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/9/23 at 2:12pm

SisterGeorge said: "I was in the center front half of the Orch, though, and would guess the returns diminish rapidly the further away or to the left one sits. Salonga and Llana sat right in front of me, and I'm happy to report they both looked fabulous and did not sing along with the score."

Huh?  What score??

yyys
#163Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/9/23 at 2:17pm

He also didn't make an impression bec. he whispered his lines the whole time.

Voter said: "Went to the matinee on March 8.

Oak (from Hamilton) was under-used in this production and hoped he more lines because he was well cast as the lawyer.

The play started at 2:08pm and ended at 3:55pm
"

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#164Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/9/23 at 3:07pm

JSquared2 said: "NoItAll said: "Has anyone considered the possibility this self-important, publicity-seeking director had Nora go out onto 45th St. not despite, but because a large part of the audience wouldn’t be able to see it? In any case, in the modern New York City suddenly shoved in the faces of 2/3 of a too-easily impressed audience, it would have been Torvald who was forced out that door, suitcase in hand, heading for a hotel stay until he found an apartment. Some things really have changed. So, yes, pocket Lloyd if you think it would do any good. but get the messages on the signs right."

Sounds like someone didn't get his Playbill signed by Jessica (or didn't get a callback)!
"

Lloyd would prob. get a laugh at "publicity seeking director", as one of the most notorious and established directors nowadays.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#165Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/9/23 at 3:38pm

WiCkEDrOcKS said: "gleek4114 said: "Question for those who have seen this (forgive me if it’s been asked and answered), but if I was looking at far side seats of the orchestra in Row N (either All the way to the left or right of the house), which would be a better view to see the show as a whole, and the ending? With a discount these are only $80 some days, so I’m weary and wanted to ask before buying."

You're going to want to sit house right.

"

Thank you! Ticket booked!

BETTY22
#166Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/9/23 at 7:48pm

I wait on the reviews before I buy a ticket.

I have seen it many times before and need it to be great to see it again. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#167Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/9/23 at 8:49pm

veronicamae said: "PipingHotPiccolo said: "WiCkEDrOcKS said: "The fact that so much of the audience misses that final moment is absolutely absurd and infuriating.

"

"

Well, what shall you have us do - run down to the Hudson with picket signs and demand they renovate the rear of the theater so it's more centrally positioned?

"

Yeah, I don't think I've suggested anyone riot over this, and I think you know that. When I pointed out how outrageous a stunt it is, I was told to calm down. The outrage and revulsion at Beanie Feldstein not singing up to par is the sorta response I'd expect from staging a major revival with a famous, shocking ending staged so that ONE THIRD OF THE AUDIENCE MISSES IT. Without warning. Or discount. Its despicable. 

Protest away.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#168Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/9/23 at 8:49pm

Reviews are coming in! Jesse Green of NYT is giving it a rave! 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/09/theater/a-dolls-house-review-jessica-chastain.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Amy Archer
#169Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/9/23 at 9:35pm

While it's a Critic's Pick, Jesse's review seems a little muted? 

PipingHotPiccolo
#170Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/9/23 at 9:40pm

Yes. Doesnt read like a Critics Pick, thought it has plenty of pull quotes regardless.

I note the Observer review praises it while blowing through spoiler after spoiler like a total jackass.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#171Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/9/23 at 10:01pm

To me, the Green review is appropriately validating without the sort of intellectual hyperbole that often oversells bold interpretations. He’s far more than merely respectful of the daring; he sees it as transformative, yet with drawbacks. Fair yet decidedly affirmative. I agrees with all points.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#172Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/9/23 at 10:10pm

DTLI Consensus: We only feel this revival unspeakably empty - and yet somehow, that works.

8 positive (including the NYT), 3 mixed, 2 negative.

https://didtheylikeit.com/shows/a-dolls-house/

Oh look, a bibu!

MadsonMelo
#173Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/10/23 at 4:59am

Those are really good reviews and really set Chastain to not only secura a nomination, but maybe for a win.

We haven’t seen Comer yet, but Jessica will put up a good fight.

JasonC3
#174Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/10/23 at 7:20am

Auggie27 said: "To me, the Green review is appropriately validating without the sort of intellectual hyperbole that often oversells bold interpretations. He’s far more than merely respectful of the daring; he sees it as transformative, yet with drawbacks. Fair yet decidedly affirmative. I agrees with all points."

Agree 100%.  I think this review has some of the better writing Green has done lately and helps confirm what the minimalist staging and revised text have to offer.