pixeltracker

Chavkin-directed GATSBY musical from Welch and Majok to premiere in 2024- Page 4

Chavkin-directed GATSBY musical from Welch and Majok to premiere in 2024

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#75Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/2/24 at 11:54am

As will the set!  Mimi Lien has a way with opulence!  (I don't remember this previously being announced, but am I just forgetting?)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ladysmaidinamerica
#76Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/2/24 at 1:07pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Sandy Powell!!!

At a minimum we know the costumes will look amazing.
"

Same with Mimi coming and doing the set. The set and lighting for Great Comet really left an impact. 

dramamama611
#77Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/2/24 at 1:17pm

barcelona20 said: "Actually, this is strange. I must have clicked on the one of the few performances that this is happening at. The blurb isn't on most of the performances. My bad..."

If they are talking about Yondr pouches (and I still don't see evidence of that) perhaps they are testing it out to see if its something they will use long term?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#78Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/2/24 at 3:35pm

dramamama611 said: "As will the set! Mimi Lien has a way with opulence! (I don't remember this previously being announced, but am I just forgetting?)"

Most of Mimi Lien's designs verge on minimalist. I certainly didn't think she did anything special with Sweeney Todd. 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#79Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/2/24 at 3:39pm

QueenAlice said: "dramamama611 said: "As will the set! Mimi Lien has a way with opulence! (I don't remember this previously being announced, but am I just forgetting?)"

Most of Mimi Lien's designs verge on minimalist. I certainly didn't think she did anything special with Sweeney Todd.
"

Blame the director on that one.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#80Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/2/24 at 3:55pm

QueenAlice said: "dramamama611 said: "As will the set! Mimi Lien has a way with opulence! (I don't remember this previously being announced, but am I just forgetting?)"

"

JK's TheatreScene: Favorite Designs: The Scenic Design of The Great Comet

dramamama611
#81Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/2/24 at 3:58pm

There was no reason for Sweeney to be opulent.  Great Comet was stunning,  Spider-man and Little Mermaid, while I disliked both shows, were also visually a treat.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#82Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/2/24 at 4:13pm

I certainly didn't find Lien's work on GREAT COMET to be minimalist. She has a wonderful sense of space in most of her designs. She also designed that temporary outdoor green space at Lincoln Center's plaza a few summers ago. Excited to see her work on the Beaumont stage with VANYA.

(Worth noting that she was only an associate on SPIDEY and MERMAID)

Given the limited size of the A.R.T. and the people involved, I wouldn't be shocked if this adaptation is less literal and, perhaps, less traditionally opulent as the current Broadway production.

Updated On: 4/2/24 at 04:13 PM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#83Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/2/24 at 4:13pm

Yes, I saw Comet in all its incarnations. To me, It's true oppulance was its lighting and its size (which got bigger and more bloated as the production moved along -- it was best at Ars Nova). And the design was largely inspired by the theatre build out of Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson.  Mimi was not the set designer for Mermaid or Spider Man - she was the assistant to the designers on those shows.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

dramamama611
#84Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/2/24 at 4:19pm

Oops, my bad....thanks for the clarification.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#85Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/2/24 at 5:25pm

Given the subtitle of this adaptation is “An American Myth” and the work of Florence Welch generally, i cannot imagine this will be a particularly straightforward adaptation.  

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#86Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/2/24 at 8:21pm

Also, Kimberly Grigsby as Music Supervisor bodes well. She has supervised or directed some of my very favorite scores.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#87Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/6/24 at 9:16am

Rehearsals are scheduled to start on Monday, so I'm hoping for a cast announcement.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#88Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/6/24 at 10:26am

I don’t see this coming to ny any time in the near future.  Especially now that the other Gatsby is a hit, will be nominated for Best Musical and perform at the Tony’s, and will most likely be running for a while, the pressure is probably off on chavkin to just do a production with little expectation that this is going anywhere anytime soon.  I could see this taking the Lempicka route with multiple out of towns and then broadway maybe in a decade or so. 

Jarethan
#89Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/6/24 at 11:41am

Broadway Flash said: "I don’t see this coming to ny any time in the near future. Especially now that the other Gatsby is a hit, will be nominated for Best Musical and perform at the Tony’s, and will most likely be running for a while, the pressure is probably off on chavkin to just do a production with little expectation that this is going anywhere anytime soon. I could see this taking the Lempicka route with multiple out of towns and then broadway maybe in a decade or so."

So Gatsby is a hit based on early previews in two of the busiest weeks of the year?

Broadway Flash
#90Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/6/24 at 11:49am

Their advance is good and word of mouth is great

GottaGetAGimmick420
#91Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/6/24 at 12:43pm

Broadway Flash said: "Their advance is good and word of mouth is great"

Flash has been pushing Papermill Gatbsy in all of these threads so hard to a point it becomes shill like. So, take that under consideration.

I'm just here so I don't get fined

dramamama611
#92Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/6/24 at 1:19pm

While I've definitely seen some raves, more of what I've seen has been pretty middle of the road. Echoing what many have said since Papermill... Leads great, considering what they were given, the rest, meh. 

singer234
#93Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/6/24 at 1:39pm

I think the Yondr pouches are a smart idea, but it selfishly makes me sad because I was hoping for some sort of a demo or cast recording sooner rather than later! Seems they’re really banking on the music being next level in a way that no one has heard yet. So if it’s not my favorite score of the year I’m going to be very disappointed, lol. Still very optimistic.

re: the other Gatsby, I think it’s important to remember that most of the people seeing and enjoying musicals on Broadway have no idea these message boards even exist. The reviews for the other Gatsby have been “meh” amongst people who write about theatre on this board, reddit, and some tiktok influencer account. To be fair, I’m sure lots of other people with no relationship to theatre dislike it, too. Still, the discussion we are seeing on the websites we, as theatre fans, are visiting, or by the conversations we are having with other hardcore theatregoers, may not mean much in terms of what probably at least 80% of the audience on any given night thinks of the show.

Updated On: 4/6/24 at 01:39 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#94Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/6/24 at 1:47pm

I've said this from the start but whether JeremyEvaGatsby is good or bad, it does not help FlorenceRachelGatsby.

• If JeremyEvaGatsby tanks, that puts a stain on the IP and might scare off some investors for FlorenceRachelGatsby. Ticketbuyers might also say "oh I already saw that" because audiences are less savvy than you think.
  • If JeremyEvaGatsby hits (or even runs 6-12 months), that just delays the process of FlorenceRachelGatsby coming to Broadway. And again, ticketbuyers might say "oh I already saw that."

As we know from other "celebrity" composers, they don't always draw in ticketbuyers on mass for a sustained period of time. And if Lempicka tanks, that doesn't help FlorenceRachelGatsby either.

I wouldn't open FlorenceRachelGatsby within one year of JeremyEvaGatsby closing, but I'm not Jordan Roth. If the show is good enough, they can stand to wait a beat before bringing it to Broadway.

B212323
#95Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/6/24 at 9:25pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "Rehearsals are scheduled to start on Monday, so I'm hoping for a cast announcement."

Any casting rumors other than Solea? 

Broadway Flash
#96Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/6/24 at 9:43pm

The reviews from theatre super fans on this very board and elsewhere has been positive.  Theres no disconnect between theatre people and pedestrians.  I have not been shilling for this show.  I was critical about some stuff from the paper mill run which you can read my thoughts on in the paper mill thread. I think people here have been underestimating this Gatsby for quite some time, and want to be fair. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#97Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/8/24 at 7:36pm

Cast and creative team observing the eclipse (Solea Pfeiffer's tag was there, but was later removed; oops!):

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5g0V9-vTdj/

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#98Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/8/24 at 7:55pm

Bobby Conte as Jay?

Or just there because he's dating the bookwriter?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#99Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/8/24 at 8:10pm

I'm assuming if they left his tag there, he's not in the cast, just there for Martyna.

Videos