pixeltracker

Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway - Page 2

Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway

KevinKlawitter
#25Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/25/23 at 5:28pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Any star that is worth the money probably doesn't want to tour anyways; a "semi-star" is money that the markets don't usually want to pay for."

Norm Lewis is touring with A Soldier's Play...

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#26Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/25/23 at 5:43pm

KevinKlawitter said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Any star that is worth the money probably doesn't want to tour anyways; a "semi-star" is money that the markets don't usually want to pay for."

Norm Lewis is touring withA Soldier's Play...
"

Plays are a different beast, but I'd categorize him less than a semi-star. He means as much as you and me in some of these markets. He's originated one role on Broadway in the past decade and did a 2-month replacement gig in another, and both were big financial failures. If he were singing that might mean a little more on the road, but he's not.

Updated On: 4/25/23 at 05:43 PM

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#27Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/25/23 at 5:59pm

I know for sure they were hoping Julie would do the tour. I don't know anything beyond that and believe you it's been cast with a former Elphaba, as I've no reason not to. But I just know what was true a short while back.

KevinKlawitter
#28Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/25/23 at 6:50pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "KevinKlawitter said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Any star that is worth the money probably doesn't want to tour anyways; a "semi-star" is money that the markets don't usually want to pay for."

Norm Lewis is touring withA Soldier's Play...
"

Plays are a different beast, but I'd categorize him less than a semi-star. He means as much as you and me in some of these markets. He's originated one role on Broadway in the past decade and did a 2-month replacement gig in another, and both were big financial failures. If he were singing that might mean a little more on the road, but he's not.
"

I saw the tour in Minneapolis, and he *does* sing during the show. Not to mention he's front and central of all the marketing - he's definitely being treated as a name.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#29Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/25/23 at 8:09pm

Hamilfan2 said: "BJR said: "I know they want Julie for the tour. But if she has a Bway offer, I wonder..."

They already have their tour Fanny and it’s not Julie. As far as I know, she was not even offered it. (It’s a former Elphaba, she will be great but tbd on if she can sell tickets)
"

Jackie Burns

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#30Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/26/23 at 9:07am

Happy to see they realized audiences want someone who can SANG the score for the tour. Excited for her!

As for Harmony... I mean they might as well just give the money away.

Broadguy85
#31Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/26/23 at 9:37am

With the Elphaba comment, my bets are on Jessica Vosk. She’s got nothing scheduled past June which seems odd for her. She’d be incredible 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#32Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/26/23 at 11:41am

Plays are a different beast, but I'd categorize him less than a semi-star. He means as much as you and me in some of these markets. He's originated one role on Broadway in the past decade and did a 2-month replacement gig in another, and both were big financial failures. If he were singing that might mean a little more on the road, but he's not."

Yeah, Norm Lewis is a name and none of that's true. Belittling and diminishing men of color such as Norm Lewis or Michael R. Jackson is clearly your gross move. Sad. 

Updated On: 4/26/23 at 11:41 AM

Sutton Ross
#33Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/26/23 at 11:43am

I saw the tour in Minneapolis, and he *does* sing during the show. Not to mention he's front and central of all the marketing - he's definitely being treated as a name.

100% all of this. That person shouldn't discuss a show they know nothing about. 

singer234
#34Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/26/23 at 12:30pm

My money would be on Talia Suskauer but could be a bigger Elphaba name.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#35Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/26/23 at 12:42pm

Sutton Ross said: "Plays are a different beast, but I'd categorize him less than a semi-star. He means as much as you and me in some of these markets. He's originated one role on Broadway in the past decade and did a 2-month replacement gig in another, and both were big financial failures. If he were singing that might mean a little more on the road, but he's not."

Yeah, Norm Lewis is a name and none of that's true. Belittling and diminishing men of color such as Norm Lewis or Michael R. Jackson is clearly your gross move. Sad.
"

Considering in the last few days you've managed to be insultingly dismissive and ignorant toward Jews and people with different physical needs than you, you should can this performative outrage act you so reliably fall back on. (Also: "Sad"? Okay, Donald)

Lewis is wonderful but is hardly much of a "name" outside of avid theater goers, a fairly narrow audience in this day and age. Acknowledging this is not racist and does not diminish him.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 4/26/23 at 12:42 PM

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#36Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/26/23 at 12:58pm

Do people on this board really not know who is taking Fannie on the road? It isn't Julie and from my understanding she is still attached to Harmony. I guess all I can say the Fannie going on tour is that she is indeed a former green girl, that both toured and did Broadway...and I wouldn't necessarily say she is a name. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#37Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/26/23 at 1:37pm

I don’t think most shows touring these days need a “name” to sell them to subscription houses. However, names like Norm Lewis or Jackie Burns might get some of us who have seen the shows before to see them again. 

Sutton Ross
#38Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/26/23 at 1:44pm

Exactly. Great point.

BETTY22
#39Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/26/23 at 2:22pm

Look who just turned up at Lucille Lortel Awards breakfast. Manilow and Sussman are nominated for Best Musical.

Updated On: 4/26/23 at 02:22 PM

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#40Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/27/23 at 5:54pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Chip Zien's performance in this was easily one of the best I saw last year, so I'm just glad that more people will get to see it."

Agreed. Do we know for sure he's still attached to the show? I would think/hope so. I guess we'll know soon enough what with the Today show announcement tomorrow morning.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#41Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/27/23 at 9:50pm

Previews begin October 18 at the Barrymore Theatre, with opening night set for November 13.

https://www.telecharge.com/Broadway/Harmony-A-New-Musical/Overview 

Jeff Tupolski Profile Photo
Jeff Tupolski
#42Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/27/23 at 10:21pm

Here’s hoping this Broadway move gets Chip Zien his long overdue first Tony nomination.

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#43Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/27/23 at 10:49pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Previews begin October 18 at the Barrymore Theatre, with opening night set for November 13.

https://www.telecharge.com/Broadway/Harmony-A-New-Musical/Overview
"

Thanks, Taffy! 4 matinees a week. Interesting. And, I suspect, very smart.

TaffyDavenport
#44Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/27/23 at 11:02pm

I know it's strange to be making Tony predictions over a year in advance, but, just based on what I witnessed last year, I see a nomination for Chip Zien as a foregone conclusion. Not only is it an incredibly worthy performance, but it's also one that will capture people's hearts in a big way. I think they're very smart to open in November, right before the holidays, and, hopefully, they'll have enough momentum to carry them through the spring. Even if not, I think his performance will be fondly remembered.

Updated On: 4/27/23 at 11:02 PM

PipingHotPiccolo
#45Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/27/23 at 11:57pm

Sutton Ross said: "Plays are a different beast, but I'd categorize him less than a semi-star. He means as much as you and me in some of these markets. He's originated one role on Broadway in the past decade and did a 2-month replacement gig in another, and both were big financial failures. If he were singing that might mean a little more on the road, but he's not."

"

Setting aside this unhinged libel of Emergarde for stating an obvious truth with zero ill will, when someone like Sutton Ross says "none of thats true" the world we live in compels me to point out that it IS true: since Porgy and Bess in 2011, Norm Lewis (who i ADORE) was in Phantom, Once on this Island and Chicken and Biscuits-- which one of those were financial successes during--let alone DUE TO--his run? 

unreal.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#46Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/28/23 at 2:05am

Now that the show this thread is supposed to be about has been announced and has tickets for sale, can we get back to talking about it?

Looking at prices over X-mas at a matinee & wow, even most of the front mezz is $185.  Not a week that usually sees discounts, so they better get good very word of mouth early on.  I saw the Band's Visit in the same theatre the same weekend in 2018 and even with the Tony the Mezz was half empty.  The off-Bway audience reports/reviews for this weren't all exactly raves.

I was able to get an excellent seat during the pre-sale for the same day's evening performance of Merrily cheaper.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#47Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/28/23 at 5:32am

Word is Act One has been rewritten. Everyone is returning. They are still working for Julie 

TaffyDavenport
#48Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/28/23 at 9:18am

Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway

Updated On: 4/28/23 at 09:18 AM

TaffyDavenport
#49Manilow and Sussman's Harmony Coming To Broadway
Posted: 4/28/23 at 9:42am

Code BARRYMORE on Telecharge Offers for tickets starting at $40 (plus fees), valid through May 15.

Updated On: 4/28/23 at 09:42 AM