News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

2024 Tony Awards

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#1002024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/31/24 at 9:59am

CityLights: now that you've reminded me about Mary Jane's history I think it will be deemed a revival. 

We have to remember that the Tony Administration Committee is run by producers. Producers want the best possible outcome for the ceremony, which usually means as many nominations as possible. If they move both Appropriate and Mary Jane to the Play Revival race, there would be 6 eligible productions there. Which is the threshold to guarantee 4 nominees. (So far its Appropriate, Doubt, An Enemy of the People, Purlie Victorious, and Uncle Vanya. A crop of 5 contenders is only enough to yield 3 nominees).

Best Play would still have 10 eligible productions if they opt to move Mary Jane, which is still enough to guarantee 5 nominees. So moving both shows to Play Revival bolsters both the Best Play and Revival of a Play categories so that fewer major productions are left out.

Broadway61004
#1012024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/31/24 at 5:20pm

Eddie Hirsch said: "I now think the nominees for Outstanding Revival of a Play will be:

Appropriate

Doubt

An Enemy of the People

Uncle Vanya.

and there is little Doubt that Appropriate will be the recipient.

"

I mean, we'll see, but I can't really imagine any way that Purlie Victorious gets left out at least for a nomination and is probably the frontrunner to win.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#1022024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/11/24 at 10:12am

Saw back to the future last night. What an AWESOME new musical!!  I was thrilled by it. A big ass musical. The big numbers were fabulous and plentiful!!  The score is full of bops! The choreography by Chris Bailey is wonderful.  The orchestra is pretty large and sounded fantastic. I love how it leans into being a musical and doesn’t shy away from it. Roger Bart and Casey Likes rock and the entire cast was on fire.  I’d be shocked if this isn’t nominated for best musical and a bunch of tech categories come Tony time.  Congratulations to John Rando and the entire cast and crew. Shout out to Hugh Vanstone and Tim Lutkin (lighting) Tim Hatley (costumes and scenery) Ethan Popp (orchestrations) Chris Fisher (illusions) Gareth Owen (sound). Bravo!

LuckyDipster Profile Photo
LuckyDipster
#1032024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/11/24 at 1:16pm

Broadway Flash said: "Saw back to the future last night. The score is full of bops!"

Finally!  Someone who agrees with me on this.  It took me a few listens of the album, admittedly, but the new songs are real growers and they work very well in tandem with the visuals.

"Roger Bart and Casey Likes rock"

I went to NY for Roger, BUT I was very impressed with Casey.  He's a very talented young man who is also very good with his young fans.  Both of those attributes will stand him in good stead.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#1042024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/11/24 at 1:23pm

Curious how The Notebook will petition the Allie’s and Noah’s. I think the current marketing is pushing the older pair as lead and the middle pair as supporting, but I could see it going either way. I can also see Andrea Burns character showing up in the mix a la Jenn Colella in Come From Away.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 2/11/24 at 01:23 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#1052024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/11/24 at 1:54pm

LuckyDipster said: "Broadway Flash said: "Saw back to the future last night. The score is full of bops!"

Finally! Someone who agrees with me on this. It took me a few listens of the album, admittedly, but the new songs are real growers and they work very wellin tandem with the visuals.

"Roger Bart and Casey Likes rock"

I went to NY for Roger, BUT I was very impressed with Casey. He's a very talented young man who is also very good with his young fans. Both of those attributes will stand him in good stead.

"

He's doing his same schtick that he did in Young Frankenstein and yea he can be funny but anyway, I highly doubt it will a garner a best musical nom maybe some tech stuff. https://didtheylikeit.com/shows/back-to-the-future/

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

mshalo18
#1062024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/11/24 at 1:57pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Curious how The Notebook will petition the Allie’sand Noah’s. I think the current marketing is pushing the older paid as lead and the middle pair as supporting, but I could see it going either way. I can also see Andrea Burns character showing up in the mix a la Jenn Colella in Come From Away."

I thought it has already been determined that all of the Allis and Noahs were considered featured. Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Call_me_jorge
#1072024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/11/24 at 1:59pm

mshalo18 said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Curious how The Notebook will petition the Allie’sand Noah’s. I think the current marketing is pushing the older paid as lead and the middle pair as supporting, but I could see it going either way. I can also see Andrea Burns character showing up in the mix a la Jenn Colella in Come From Away."

I thought it has already been determined that all of the Allis and Noahs were considered featured. Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.
"

Considering the show hasn’t had its opening night yet; the eligibility for the notebook has yet to be determined.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1082024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/11/24 at 2:30pm

Call_me_jorge said: "mshalo18 said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Curious how The Notebook will petition the Allie’sand Noah’s. I think the current marketing is pushing the older paid as lead and the middle pair as supporting, but I could see it going either way. I can also see Andrea Burns character showing up in the mix a la Jenn Colella in Come From Away."

"

Considering the show hasn’t had its opening night yet; the eligibility for the notebook has yet to be determined.
"

This is correct, no decisions made until after  a show opens. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#1092024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/11/24 at 4:44pm

dramamama611 said: "Call_me_jorge said: "mshalo18 said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Curious how The Notebook will petition the Allie’sand Noah’s. I think the current marketing is pushing the older paid as lead and the middle pair as supporting, but I could see it going either way. I can also see Andrea Burns character showing up in the mix a la Jenn Colella in Come From Away."

"

"

This is correct, no decisions made until after a show opens.
"

As for TONY noms for Best Musical, I predict:

• Days of Wine and Roses
  • Hell's Kitchen 
  • Lempicka
  • Suffs
  • The Notebook or The Outsiders or Water for Elephants 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 2/12/24 at 04:44 PM

Broadway Flash
#1102024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/11/24 at 5:26pm

Yall are gonna be shocked come Tony time. The nominees will be

Back to the Future, the great Gatsby, the outsiders, Suffs, Hell’s Kitchen and days of wine and roses if there’s a sixth. No notebook no Lempicka no water for elephants 

Broadway61004
#1112024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/11/24 at 5:37pm

Broadway Flash said: "Yall are gonna be shocked come Tony time. The nominees will be

Back to the Future, the great Gatsby, the outsiders, Suffs, Hell’s Kitchen and days of wine and roses if there’s a sixth. No notebook no Lempicka no water for elephants
"

Yes, except Rebecca is going to come in at the last moment and win everything. Except for Best Revival, which will be a runaway win for Bad Cinderella when it announces its revival tomorrow. 

starlightlocamotion
#1122024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/11/24 at 6:25pm

LOL ... The Notebook is by far in a way the front runner for BEST MUSICAL. I don't think Water for Elephants or The Outsiders is going to knock it off this list.

Broadway Flash
#1132024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/11/24 at 6:47pm

Which of the shows I predicted do you think it’s crazy to say will be nominated?

Call_me_jorge
#1142024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/11/24 at 6:52pm

Broadway Flash said: "Which of the shows I predicted do you think it’s crazy to say will be nominated?"

Back to the future definitely doesn't have a guaranteed nomination. I'd also say the Great Gatsby, but they have yet to open. 

Broadway Flash
#1152024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/11/24 at 7:26pm

Which ones have a guaranteed nomination?  I would think Back to the future is more guaranteed than any others so far. The Tony’s love to recognize a hit show that opened earlier in the season and has made it this far. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#1162024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/11/24 at 7:36pm

starlightlocamotion said: "LOL ... The Notebook is by far in a way the front runner for BEST MUSICAL. I don't think Water for Elephants or The Outsiders is going to knock it off this list."

In what world? Lol 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

starlightlocamotion
#1172024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/11/24 at 8:24pm

In a world where you should run to see THE NOTEBOOK as soon as humanly possible because it is stunning.

Call_me_jorge
#1182024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/11/24 at 8:38pm

Broadway Flash said: "Which ones have a guaranteed nomination? I would think Back to the future is more guaranteed than any others so far. The Tony’s love to recognize a hit show that opened earlier in the season and has made it this far."

Back to the future is across the lines of Finding Neverland, On Your Feet, and Pretty Woman of this season. It’s not getting nominated for any of the major awards. Maybe best set or lighting design. That’s it.

Updated On: 2/11/24 at 08:38 PM

Call_me_jorge
#1192024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/11/24 at 8:41pm

blaxx said: "starlightlocamotion said: "LOL ... The Notebook is by far in a way the front runner for BEST MUSICAL. I don't think Water for Elephants or The Outsiders is going to knock it off this list."

In what world? Lol
"

Taking the out of tryouts of all the other shows into account; The Notebook has been the best received by a wide margin. 

Broadway Flash
#1202024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/11/24 at 9:44pm

Wasn’t the outsiders the best reviewed out of town?  If it’s based on reviews, wine and roses would definitely get in.  And I don’t think comparing back to the future to those other shows is a good comparison.  BTTF is by far better than all of those.  Better reviews, better material, better production, better performances, impressive design plus an Olivier.  

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#1212024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/11/24 at 10:01pm

Broadway Flash said: "Wasn’t the outsiders the best reviewed out of town? If it’s based on reviews, wine and roses would definitely get in. And I don’t think comparing back to the future to those other shows is a good comparison. BTTF is by far better than all of those. Better reviews, better material, better production, better performances, impressive design plus an Olivier."

I thought Hell's Kitchen. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

LuckyDipster Profile Photo
LuckyDipster
#1222024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 7:02am

Robbie2 said: "He's doing his same schtick that he did in Young Frankenstein and yea he can be funny but anyway, I highly doubt it will a garner a best musical nom maybe some tech stuff."

Well excuse me, but I never saw him in Young Frankenstein or anything else pre BTTF so please allow me my excitement at seeing an actor whose schtick works for me.  I agree that BTTF probably won't be nominated outside of the technical categories, but I would love to be pleasantly surprised.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#1232024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 10:31am

Broadway Flash said: "Yall are gonna be shocked come Tony time. The nominees will be

"

This is why nobody here takes you seriously. 

Broadway Flash
#1242024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 10:49am

Some of you have really convinced yourselves back to the future won’t get in.  Theres a shock coming come May. 

Videos