HHL People Power Disco Hour

DrMonicaDeMoneco Profile Photo
DrMonicaDeMoneco
#1HHL People Power Disco Hour
Posted: 10/4/23 at 10:35pm

The Producers must have $$$ stashed somewhere because this isn’t cheap to do. To the pay the crew members to stay after is going to be EXPENSIVE. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#2HHL People Power Disco Hour
Posted: 10/4/23 at 10:41pm

I don’t think it goes overtime for the crew since the show itself is only 80-90 minutes.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#3HHL People Power Disco Hour
Posted: 10/4/23 at 10:49pm

Wait, so the poster who was obsessed with HLL turning into a club post show… was RIGHT?

inception Profile Photo
inception
#4HHL People Power Disco Hour
Posted: 10/5/23 at 7:46am

Cool. There's nothing I want to do more on a Thursday night.

It's a cool idea.  But would be a bigger draw if each dj night was after a Saturday performance. 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#5HHL People Power Disco Hour
Posted: 10/5/23 at 10:49am

“There's nothing I want to do more on a Thursday night.”

Thursday is gay Friday. I can assure you there are plenty out and about on a Thursday (gasp!) night. 

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#6HHL People Power Disco Hour
Posted: 10/5/23 at 10:54am

BroadwayNYC2 said: "“There's nothing I want to do more on aThursday night.”

Thursday is gay Friday. I can assure you there are plenty out and about on a Thursday (gasp!) night.
"

This just made me LOL. You'd be surprised the amount of people who go out on days like Sundays and Mondays

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#7HHL People Power Disco Hour
Posted: 10/5/23 at 11:04am

I'd prefer Sunday nights:

"The party starts at Here Lies Love, then continues until 4 a.m. at The Eagle!"

Updated On: 10/5/23 at 11:04 AM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#8HLL People Power Disco Hour
Posted: 10/5/23 at 1:26pm

The point of doing this is not to run a disco; it is to sell tickets on a night on which that is a problem. I assume the weekend nights are selling better at this point. 

PS. What is HHL? 

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#9HLL People Power Disco Hour
Posted: 10/5/23 at 3:00pm

If we want the party to continue at The Eagle then they should host them on Wednesdays as a lead-in to their jockstrap night! ;-p

But seriously, it's amusing that there are folks who think people are not out clubbing and partying every single night of the week in NYC. 

I got a peek at a few of the upcoming DJs and I think they will be QUITE popular. One is a 7-time Grammy winner and Oscar winner with a slew of #1 hit songs. Another DJ is a beloved queer icon with a huge following. I've seen the show twice now, but am definitely considering going back for one of these nights.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#10HLL People Power Disco Hour
Posted: 10/5/23 at 7:39pm

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: 
But seriously, it's amusing that there are folks who think people are not out clubbing and partying every single night of the week in NYC.

I don't doubt that there are people out every night of the week.  But late night club goers aren't going to the theatre.  Their shifts at Starbucks don't end early enough.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#11HLL People Power Disco Hour
Posted: 10/5/23 at 7:59pm

inception said: "MayAudraBlessYou2 said:

I don't doubt that there are people out every night of the week. But late night club goers aren't going to the theatre. Their shifts at Starbucks don't end early enough.
"

You couldn't be more wrong about who goes to the clubs, specifically the gay ones.

Updated On: 10/5/23 at 07:59 PM

BorisTomashevsky
#12HLL People Power Disco Hour
Posted: 10/5/23 at 10:06pm

Is the cost of this endeavor even going to be covered by the few extra tickets it sells? 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#13HLL People Power Disco Hour
Posted: 10/5/23 at 10:39pm

"I don't doubt that there are people out every night of the week.  But late night club goers aren't going to the theatre.  Their shifts at Starbucks don't end early enough."

Just accept this one ain't for you, because your concept of nightlife demographics is...off.

And the Starbucks comment is so beyond rude but I hope it gave you the high you were looking for since you clearly desperately need it. 

Updated On: 10/5/23 at 10:39 PM

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#14HLL People Power Disco Hour
Posted: 10/6/23 at 11:16am

inception said: "MayAudraBlessYou2 said:

I don't doubt that there are people out every night of the week. But late night club goers aren't going to the theatre. Their shifts at Starbucks don't end early enough.
"

SO by this absurdly rude and classist comment I take it you think that club goers are all of lower income. My sweet summer child, you could not be farther from the truth. Just look at the circuit gays, the majority of whom are in their 30s or above because that lifestyle is actually quite expensive. They are also the ones who have money to go to the theater often. You are entirely wrong about the demographics here. I saw a list of these DJs (well, all but one as apparently one date was still in negotiations with someone). And I maintain that they can absolutely draw a crowd and generate interest. Perhaps not interest from YOU but then not everything is made for you.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#15HLL People Power Disco Hour
Posted: 10/6/23 at 11:19am

If it sells additional tickets.

You gotta hand it to the producers, they're trying. Now their offering a "four pack" of tickets to be used at the future date of your choice. Brings ticket price down to under 80/ticket . (Floor or mezz)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

chrishuyen
#16HLL People Power Disco Hour
Posted: 10/6/23 at 11:41am

dramamama611 said: "You gotta hand it to the producers, they're trying. Now their offering a "four pack" of tickets to be used at the future date of your choice. Brings ticket price down to under 80/ticket . (Floor or mezz)"

I think this is actually a great idea (speaking as someone who's gone 4 times and still wants to go again), which would work either for repeat attendees or for people going in smaller groups.  The only thing is that right now rush (at $35 a ticket) is pretty much guaranteed even if you go to the box office in the afternoons, so for people living in the area it's not necessarily a huge incentive to buy the 4 pack.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#17HLL People Power Disco Hour
Posted: 10/6/23 at 12:07pm

I want to also re-iterate how silly that Starbucks comment is. If you hang around gay nightlife circles you will frequently, frequently be engaging with younger people with disposable incomes who are literally doctors, lawyers, investment bankers, corporate leaders and other high paying professions. Do you know how much these people are paying to go to Mykonos? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000