pixeltracker

STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons- Page 3

STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons

jasmiinda
#50STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/13/23 at 12:51am

It's definitely a play with music. I think there's maybe 6 songs in it and only one that we hear in it's entirety.

lachri5
#51STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/13/23 at 12:52am

This doesn't have enough music to be considered a musical. Unlike School Pictures on the 4th floor, which is 90% songs and very worth seeing too!

yyys
#52STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/13/23 at 6:03pm

I saw an instagram ad from playwrights saying to sign up for the newsletter for "good news" for anyone who is missing this production....I can't find that ad anymore.

buffalospeedway
#53STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/14/23 at 12:59am

Caught this a couple of weeks ago. Thought that Adjmi's script was very strong, but musicians will be able to tell that these are actors who learned to play their instruments specifically for this show. Not that there's anything wrong with that! It is a play and they were hired primarily for their acting abilities. But because the show is so hyper-realistic, certain details stuck out.

For example:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Simon is holding his sticks in match grip, but his palms face out instead of down. Also, the scene where Grover kept telling him to adjust his snare drum seemed odd and protracted. A professional drummer would have dampened their snare drum right away, though it seemed like Adjmi was showing that Simon was off his game because of his divorce. I also found myself missing the virtuosity of the musicians of the era.

Updated On: 12/14/23 at 12:59 AM

Sammy232
#54STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/14/23 at 8:13am

buffalospeedway said: "Caught this a couple of weeks ago. Thought that Adjmi's script was very strong, but musicians will be able to tell that these are actors who learned to play their instruments specifically for this show. Not that there's anything wrong with that! It is a play and they were hired primarily for their acting abilities. But because the show is so hyper-realistic, certain details stuck out.

For example:

Simon is holding his sticks in match grip, but his palms face out instead of down. Also, the scene where Grover kept telling him to adjust his snare drum seemed odd and protracted. A professional drummer would have dampened their snare drum right away, though it seemed like Adjmi was showing that Simon was off his game because of his divorce. I also found myself missing the virtuosity of the musicians of the era.

"

I was in the very last row, so it was hard for me to see hands/fingers (and guitar is the only instrument I play). But I could see the drum set fairly well and there was a lot of hi-hat in those songs, and I could not see one on the stage, so my guess is they are using some recorded tracks to supplement what they are playing live. Not suggesting they are not actually playing, but my guess was there were some additional pre-recorded tracks underneath.

buffalospeedway
#55STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/14/23 at 11:49pm

Sammy232 said: "buffalospeedway said: "Caught this a couple of weeks ago. Thought that Adjmi's script was very strong, but musicians will be able to tell that these are actors who learned to play their instruments specifically for this show. Not that there's anything wrong with that! It is a play and they were hired primarily for their acting abilities. But because the show is so hyper-realistic, certain details stuck out.

For example:

"

I was in the very last row, so it was hard for me to see hands/fingers (and guitar is the only instrument I play). But I could see the drum set fairly well and there was a lot of hi-hat in those songs, and I could not see one on the stage, so my guess is they are using some recorded tracks to supplement what they are playing live. Not suggesting they are not actually playing, but my guess was there were some additional pre-recorded tracks underneath.
"

I hadn't considered that they might have used pre-recorded tracks - that's an interesting point! I thought I saw a hi-hat onstage, but I don't recall seeing it open or close at any point. I think these details are NBD to the average theatergoer, but as a percussionist, Simon's grip stood out to me in particular.

Eddie Hirsch
#56STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/15/23 at 9:41am

Just caught up with it.  A really interesting (if long) play with an excellent company.  Understand it's got the Golden in the spring,  April is going to be a very busy month for Tony nominators!  It will be nice to have another play to consider for the Tony Awards, especially one that could almost be considered in the musical category!

jasmiinda
#57STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/15/23 at 4:48pm

They have a link on the ticket page to a Google Form for what's coming next for the show. Good signs all around.

https://my.playwrightshorizons.org/events/stereophonic

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#58STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/15/23 at 9:12pm

Tonight’s Show was cancelled.  Sickness in cast. Wonder if there will be shows for this final weekend?  

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#59STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/16/23 at 8:47am

Eddie Hirsch said: "Just caught up with it. A really interesting (if long) play with an excellent company. Understand it's got the Golden in the spring, April is going to be a very busy month for Tony nominators! It will be nice to have another play to consider for the Tony Awards, especially one that could almost be considered in the musical category!"

Yup, heard the Golden, too.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#60STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/16/23 at 5:09pm

I wonder where that leaves Dear England because there are no theatres available. Something either has to close, or it’s going into the Palace

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#61STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/16/23 at 5:15pm

Come January, there’s always some closures and it doesn’t look like this January will be any different. 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#62STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/16/23 at 5:38pm

But wouldn’t they need to be guaranteed a theatre before preparing a broadway run?  Dear England has already had auditions and Sterophonic is going to announce in a few days according to their Instagram. Two shows set for broadway even before they have a theatre? I guess Shubert is assuming something will become available?  But then wouldn’t they have already announced closing by now? Although someone suggested Dear England had the Palace. 

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#63STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/17/23 at 6:31pm

Got to see the last performance. 

Excellent acting…not much of a play.   Surprised this is going to Broadway.  I’d be cross paying $250 to see this. 

Loved Eli Gelb as Grover. Bravo!  

two ladies tickets
#64STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/17/23 at 7:57pm

I wonder if they're going to make some cuts for Broadway? For those of you not familiar with Union rules, if a show runs over three hours in length, from curtain up to curtain down, that includes curtain call, even if it's only a couple of minutes over three hours, the entire crew gets paid an hour of overtime, which can be quite expensive for eight performances a week. 
August Osage County didn't have any recognizable names in it and was 3 1/2 hours long and did just fine on Broadway so maybe this will have success as well. 

Sammy232
#65STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/18/23 at 8:44am

two ladies tickets said: "I wonder if they're going to make some cuts for Broadway? For those of you not familiar with Union rules, if a show runs over three hours in length, from curtain up to curtain down, that includes curtain call, even if it's only a couple of minutes over three hours, the entire crew gets paid an hour of overtime, which can be quite expensive for eight performances a week.
August Osage County didn't have any recognizable names in it and was 3 1/2 hours long and did just fine on Broadway so maybe this will have success as well.
"

I'm wondering about this too. I feel like the market for plays with no stars has really changed in the last 15ish years since August Osage County. The 3+ hour runtime too, I think it might be a hard sell. 

OMG U Guyz
#66STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/19/23 at 7:54pm

Broadway Flash said: "But wouldn’t they need to be guaranteed a theatre before preparing a broadway run? Dear England has already had auditions and Sterophonic is going to announce in a few days according to their Instagram. Two shows set for broadway even before they have a theatre? I guess Shubert is assuming something will become available? But then wouldn’t they have already announced closing by now? Although someone suggested Dear England had the Palace."

It’s looking like the Belasco or Barrymore will be available for spring possibly the Booth 

jasmiinda
#67STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/20/23 at 12:44am

They've started recording the cast album as of yesterday.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#68STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/20/23 at 10:48am

Cast album for a play. Interesting. 

And I'd think the Belasco/Barrymore would be available for Dear England. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#69STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/22/23 at 2:15pm

Broadway Journal just confirmed the Golden for the spring. Lead producers are John Johnson, Sue Wagner, and Greg Nobile, who classify it as a “play with music” (not a musical).

Oh look, a bibu!

BoringBoredBoard40
#70STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/22/23 at 2:33pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Broadway Journal just confirmed the Golden for the spring. Lead producers are John Johnson, Sue Wagner, and Greg Nobile, who classify it as a “play with music” (not a musical)."

Weird I thought Matt Ross held the option

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#71STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/22/23 at 3:15pm

Confirmed?  Isn't this still rumored? Until there's an official press release, anyway. The post also claims that "sources" have said that Gatsby has the Broadway secured.

I'm not saying either of things aren't true, I have no onnections, but I like to hear things officially. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#72STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/22/23 at 3:25pm

Shows change hands sometimes.

As always, we shouldn't consider it confirmed until there's an official announcement. Remember this casting notice & chatter for DEAR ENGLAND a month ago (with some of the same producers), which still hasn't been announced and at the time was rumored for the Palace.

two ladies tickets
#73STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
Posted: 12/23/23 at 10:59pm

The production team for Stereophonic was doing a site visit at the Golden Theatre last week, which might be further proof that it's taking that house.

Videos