News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway- Page 4

Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#75Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/8/24 at 11:06pm

MemorableUserName said: "Five stars from TimeOut

Cole Escola's gleefully irreverent comedy is the funniest play in years.

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/theater/oh-mary-review-comedy-cole-escola-mary-todd-lincoln

Four stars (out of four) from NYP:

‘Oh, Mary!’ review: Wild West Wing comedy is the funniest show in town

https://nypost.com/2024/02/08/entertainment/oh-mary-review-wild-west-wing-comedy-about-mary-todd-lincoln-is-funniest-show-in-town/

Theatrely:

OH, MARY! A First-Rate First Lady Campsterpiece — Review

https://www.theatrely.com/post/oh-mary-a-first-rate-first-lady-campsterpiece-review

"

Fantastic. Now they can raise their already ridiculously high ticket prices even higher! Bravo....or something. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#76Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/8/24 at 11:33pm

This is going to sell out off these reviews 

and what has the Booth after Kimberly? any rumblings?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#77Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/8/24 at 11:36pm

It would be kind of great for a play about Mary Todd Lincoln to play the Booth. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BoringBoredBoard40
#78Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/8/24 at 11:42pm

Kad said: "It would be kind of great for a play about Mary Todd Lincoln to play the Booth."

I mean come on the ad campaign practically builds itself 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#79Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/9/24 at 12:18am

Odd that there's no NYT review yet!

MemorableUserName
#80Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/10/24 at 4:49pm

I keep checking for a NYT review, but it's looking more and more likely that the feature piece is the only coverage they're giving it. Is that usual? 

If it does transfer, at least they'll review it then.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#81Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/10/24 at 10:08pm

I can’t think of an instance in which a feature substituted a review- these features tend to be publicity only. It’s very odd the Times has not published a review for a high profile production, especially when things are fairly quiet right now. Perhaps the assigned critic fell ill and couldn’t attend and there needed to be some schedule reshuffling? 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 2/10/24 at 10:08 PM

two ladies tickets
#82Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/10/24 at 10:44pm

Do you think perhaps the NYT is waiting to publish the review until Monday, which is Abraham Lincoln's birthday? Would they be that clever?
Regardless, word-of-mouth on the street is mostly positive, tickets are selling like hotcakes, and they've just doubled their ticket prices, so even without that review they're doing good business. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#83Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/11/24 at 11:58pm

I finally got to see this this evening.

The play is wildly ahistorical and deeply disrespectful to Abraham and Mary Todd Lincoln. It’s crass, distasteful, and extremely stupid. The sets and costumes look like they’re from a community theater production and the performances are broad, loud, and scenery chewing. 

I loved every minute and can’t remember the last time I laughed so hard at a play. If you’re planning on going- and you should- avoid as many spoilers about jokes and plot as possible. It’s an incredibly tight 80 minutes and the laugh per minute ratio is incredible. The entire cast is perfection and this cements Escola as a comedic force to be reckoned with. 

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#84Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/15/24 at 12:42pm

Wow, I can't believe how popular this show is - I'm coming into town next week and pretty much every night is sold out. I ended up paying $200 for the very last seat, more than I've EVER paid for a show in my life! Hope it's worth it, I have high hopes.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#85Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/15/24 at 12:48pm

I hope this does transfer to Broadway.

Not that I think it would do that well, but I would like to see it for under $100.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#86Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/15/24 at 12:53pm

It has a distinctly downtown sensibility. Perhaps it could transfer to the Orpheum or something.

Still no review from the Times, which is very unusual.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#87Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/15/24 at 2:19pm

And Paulson was sitting in my row when I saw it. 

aburnedhill
#88Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/15/24 at 2:19pm

Cut out at intermission of Sweeney to put our names in for the cancellation line for this. Does not seem that hard in theory long as you show maybe 90 mins prior to the performance you want. The attendant running the show keeps things moving! Funny show-related quip, while waiting the Saturday night before, Blythe Danner was out front waiting to go to the show (apparently she loved it too). 

Ok so the show,

Endlessly hysterical. Tailor made filth for any John Waters fan or camp lovers among us. Felt like I was witnessing a live action cross between a Waters film and a Carol Burnett episode. It is so tight and entertaining, you cannot help but feel like a dumb, giddy toddler mindlessly following the piece for all its stupid. I now crave an Escola show every other season at the very least. This is the kind of theatre I'd throw money at 

whatever2
#89Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/15/24 at 3:00pm

crossing my fingers this extends ... i'll be in the city Easter weekend.

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

JeffDaEgg2
#90Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/15/24 at 3:31pm

I saw this on Saturday and absolutely loved it.  Does anyone know about SRO for this?  I was in the last row of the mezz through TodayTix and there were 5-6 people awkwardly standing behind the last row in the middle of the aisle for the entire performance.  They didn't have seats up there, so my only guess is that it's some sort of unofficial standing room (maybe don't tell the FDNY lol).  Anyway, has this been happening for every show?  And does anyone know what they're charging for these tickets?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#91Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/15/24 at 11:27pm

On the show's calendar, dates from March 26 through May 5 are now darker grey and crossed out, and, if you click on a date, the showtimes come up, so it looks like an extension announcement is imminent.

Updated On: 2/15/24 at 11:27 PM

The Rural Juror
#92Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/16/24 at 8:28am

TaffyDavenport said: "On the show's calendar, dates from March 26through May 5 are now darker grey and crossed out, and, if you click on a date, the showtimes come up, so it looks like an extension announcementis imminent."

As someone who really wants to see this AND will be in the city Easter weekend, this would be the BEST news. 

yyys
#93Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/16/24 at 8:37am

Wish it's at a different venue. That mezzanine is horrible. No rake in the orchestra either from what I've heard. Hope they don't jack up the prices on the extension. 

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#94Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/16/24 at 9:53am

yyys said: "Wish it's at a different venue. That mezzanine is horrible. No rake in the orchestra eitherfrom what I've heard. Hope they don't jack up the prices on the extension."

This is the most I've ever paid for a show - I've heard terrible things about the orchestra and as a 4"11' person I'm reeeaalllly hoping it's not that bad!

pathman2
#95Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/16/24 at 11:28am

How much leg room is there in the first row of the mezzanine? Judging from the posts, it seems like this might be the best place to sit, but I haven't been to this theater in many years. Thanks! (Hoping for an extension like everyone else!)

SisterGeorge
#96Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/16/24 at 12:56pm

Leaf Coneybear said: "yyys said: "Wish it's at a different venue. That mezzanine is horrible. No rake in the orchestra eitherfrom what I've heard. Hope they don't jack up the prices on the extension."

This is the most I've ever paid for a show - I've heard terrible thingsabout the orchestra and as a 4"11'person I'm reeeaalllly hoping it's not that bad!
"

I haven't been in this theatre since the revival of Carrie 12(?) years ago, but I remember the sight-lines in the orch being every bit as bad as described in this discussion. If you're not in an aisle seat of one of the side sections, it's not fun.

Sister George

JeffDaEgg2
#97Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/16/24 at 1:52pm

I'm 6'3" and the legroom wasn't nearly as atrocious as many mezzanines seem to be (I was in row D...not sure what other rows are like, especially row A).  The sightlines are indeed pretty bad, as there's not enough of a rake no matter how tall you are.  I got tickets to see it again and got the first row of the orchestra, as they are a) "cheap" at $101, and b) it doesn't matter what the rake is like since you're front row (sorry, person behind me!).

pathman2
#98Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/16/24 at 2:20pm

Is the front row of the orchestra too close? 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#99Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway
Posted: 2/16/24 at 2:42pm

pathman2 said: "Is the front row of the orchestra too close?"

I wouldn’t think so- if I recall there’s a sizable gap between the stage and the first row, like five feet or more. 

Videos