EDSOSLO858
#76DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/13/24 at 10:36pm

(double post)

Oh look, a bibu!

MemorableUserName
#77DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/14/24 at 6:51pm

Just noticed the updated photos with Ryan on the Roundabout website. Found it interesting that where Daly looked uncertain and in...doubt, Ryan looks harder and more...sinister? Wonder if that will be a difference in her interpretation of the role.

DOUBT 2024 Previews

DOUBT 2024 Previews

BIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
#78DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/14/24 at 11:05pm

Friend picked up a $40. Rush ticket at 6 p.m. tonight. Second row mezzanine.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#79DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/15/24 at 7:36am

MemorableUserName said: "Just noticed the updated photos with Ryan on the Roundabout website. Found it interesting that where Daly looked uncertain and in...doubt, Ryan looks harder and more...sinister? Wonder if that will be a difference in her interpretation of the role.

DOUBT 2024 Previews

DOUBT 2024 Previews
"

I was able to get rush tickets last night too (sat in mezz) and I’d agree Amy’s interpretation was more on that side. Both she and Liev did a great job and though I was doubtful of the age difference at first, it didn’t bother me at all after watching the show. Liev impressed me too and I plan to see it again  after opening but in front orchestra. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#80DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/15/24 at 8:50am

Cherry Jones had a lively, charismatic take, and her smile - if a nun's performative one to glide over many a difficult way - was the first thing she reached for in her tool box. And it worked. Jones, who I saw twice, knew that tyrants are often more winning without vulgar displays of power; she used her honeyed voice to score unexpected points, so that her lobs were often surprises, the content doing the heavy lifting. I am reminded of what I sometimes say about singers and lyrics - they often score when they trust the song. Jones knew she was in control of a situation, control gaining in gravitas as the evening wore on; and it was a gorgeous, theatrical piece of work.

In the film, Streep, arguably equally successful, went considerably darker, rendering the character more of an eccentric, with quirky flourishes and a signature accent. Both interpretations worked. It's a brilliant role, and when I first heard of Ryan, I believed she'd hew closer to Jones. Yet it sounds like she's carved her own take. I am compelled to see it. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 2/15/24 at 08:50 AM

Wardelljclark2018
#81DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/16/24 at 3:18pm

I thought Amy was wonderful on her first performance on Tuesday. Scott gave another pre-curtain speech, about the changes, and that Tyne was being released from the hospital but would not be back with the production. He let us know that she would be on book for parts of the show, and that she might call for line (She did not). Amy got a rousing ovation upon her first entrance. Her script was on her desk, but anytime the blocking called for her to be up and moving about, she was not on book and performed the role wonderfully. I thought she found a nice way with the character and excited to see her get her bearings as previews go on. There were a few line flubs, mostly calling Sister James and Sister Veronica Sister Aloysius once each, but quick recovers on both. She was obviously still finding her timing, but the scene with Mrs. Mueller and the confrontation with Father Flynn, were already starting to fire on great intentions and high stakes. I was moved to tears, I think this will be a lovely revival.

Updated On: 2/16/24 at 03:18 PM

CJRochester
#82DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/16/24 at 7:01pm

Tyne Daly Expected to Make Full Recovery Following Hospitalization

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Tyne-Daly-Expected-to-Make-Full-Recovery-Following-Hospitalization-20240216

terrilovesNY
#83DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/17/24 at 7:58am

I purchased a right orch box seat, marked as partial view, could anyone provide staging info for this production and what might be missed from this angle? Thanks!

PipingHotPiccolo
#84DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/17/24 at 10:38pm

a very hohum production of a truly excellent play is still an enjoyable watch, is the lesson learned here.

theres nothing remarkable, new, interesting, about this production , but the writing and way this story unfolds is just inherently compelling and so 95 minutes fly by.

i dont know how else to put this, even though i hate saying it given the circumstances, but amy ryan is totally miscast. shes a fantastic actress (i remember seeing her in Streetcar in college!) and shes doing a fine job here without question (there is a screen hanging on the overhang of the mezz with all her lines for her, and while very distracting to me because i couldnt help myself, she barely seemed to look at it, and what lines she missed were minor and flowed just fine).

the issue is that unlike Cherry Jones or Meryl Streep or I imagine Tyne Daly, Ryan is not a booming personality, she isnt domineering or formidable. her talents are immense but here she seems, despite her best efforts... meek. and so Aloysius seems paranoid, and unconvincing. and liev schreibers charismatic, low key, smooth-as-silk Father Flynn doesnt have a real foil- he just seems reasonable? kind? theres no mystery here when you dont have a battle of equally formidable characters.

again, everyones doing good work- zoe kazan is subtle and compelling from the jump, Quincy Bernstine handles her scene perfectly, Schreiber nails his sermons, and i can easily imagine his Flynn being just perfect in another production. And dont get me wrong, Ryan is dry in a way that works, her early scenes with Kazan were reserved but well done. ultimately however theres no explosion, no real simmer, even. maybe that changes with more time? i dont know.

we were front mezz extreme left and while I think the show is slightly geared towards the right side, we missed nothing. the orchestra was not sold out tonight.

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#85DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/17/24 at 11:08pm

I saw the show yesterday, which I think was Amy's fourth show. As far as I could tell she was off-book and only once did she stumble on a line. 

Obviously her casting is about making lemonade out of an unfortunate situation, but I did think something was lost by having Father Flynn and Sister Aloysius be roughly the same age. It's hard to represent a generational conflict within the Catholic church, when both combatants are of the same generation.  

Musicaldudepeter
#86DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/18/24 at 4:11am

I'm curious as to who else was on the list of people to call after Daly had to pull out. Cynthia Nixon? Laura Linney? I'd love to have seen their interpretations. 

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#87DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/18/24 at 8:15am

I've yet to see a charismatic Father Flynn. Cherry Jones's flinty Sister steamrolled her bland co-star (Ron Eldard?) on tour. And I'm so used to seeing Philip Seymour Hoffman play creeps that I couldn't give him the benefit of the "doubt" in Meryl's film. I've read great things about Brian O'Byrne's performance in the original production. I'd like to see a sunny Father who could win over his flock while maintaining the sinister subtext of his later scenes. I'll be curious to read what critics think of Schreiber.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#88DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/18/24 at 10:45am

I also wonder if they asked other actors to perform as Father Flynn.

Other stage actors who we've recently seen portrayed as priests on TV are Andrew Scott (Fleabag as "the hot priest" on TV and Vanya on West End) and Colin Donnell (Irreverent as the impostor priest on Aussie TV/Peacock and Shark is Broken on Broadway.) Both are goodlooking, charming, age appropriate, and have recently done shows on West End or Broadway. 

I did enjoy Schreiber's performance when I watched the play earlier this week though would have been great to also see other actors' interpretations of the Fr Flynn role.

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#89DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/18/24 at 11:49am

Musicaldudepeter said: "I'm curious as to who else was on the list of people to call after Daly had to pull out. Cynthia Nixon? Laura Linney? I'd love to have seen their interpretations."

Cynthia Nixon is currently doing a play called The Seven Year Disappear through the end of March, so she wouldn't be available.

Scott Ellis worked on Weeds so it wouldn't shock me if Mary-Louise Parker was on a list. That said, it sounds like Amy Ryan was given 12 hours to say yes or no, and given how fast they needed to find someone, it's possible she's the only person they reached out to. 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#90DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/18/24 at 11:56am

I’m still thinking of the age dynamic as well. There was a gap with Keating, but Ryan comes across as same demographic as Schreiber. My initial reaction is Schreiber comes across too old for the part, but there are certainly plenty of ways to play it. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#91DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/18/24 at 12:15pm

Jonathan Cohen said: "Musicaldudepeter said: "I'm curious as to who else was on the list of people to call after Daly had to pull out. Cynthia Nixon? Laura Linney? I'd love to have seen their interpretations."

Cynthia Nixon is currently doing a play called The Seven Year Disappear through the end of March, so she wouldn't be available.

Scott Ellis worked on Weeds so it wouldn't shock me ifMary-Louise Parker was on a list. That said, it sounds like Amy Ryanwas given 12 hours to say yes or no, and given how fast they needed to find someone, it's possible she's the only person they reached out to.
"

Yes, and the entire convo likely began with the casting director doing Availability Checks for a number of actors via their agents, prior to any actual offer being made. So they wouldn't even bother offering to those who have a professional commitment that made them unavailable. Ryan also has a longstanding relationship with Roundabout/Ellis, so it may have been an easy phonecall to make. Casting a last-minute replacement is very different than casting someone from the beginning.

brdwybound04
#92DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/18/24 at 12:33pm

Laurie Metcalf would also have been sublime in this role!

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#93DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/18/24 at 12:42pm

Was Judith Light not free ?

Zeppie2022
#94DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/18/24 at 2:52pm

"I also wonder if they asked other actors to perform as Father Flynn."

I think British actor James Norton would be good choice. He played the role of a vicar on the British series "Grantchester" and was excellent. He also would be a good fit. He is young (38) and good looking. He would be very believable as a "charismatic" priest with different ideas. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#95DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/18/24 at 4:07pm

Wick3 said: "I also wonder if they asked other actors to perform as Father Flynn."

Shows get their first-choice stars MAYBE 5% of the time.

Nearly every principal actor you've ever seen on Broadway wasn't the first choice. And that's nothing against their talent, it's just the way things work out. Sometimes the first instinct is not the best one. Especially with new works when roles are evolving over time, or when it comes down to scheduling and small salaries (as is the case with Roundabout and DOUBT). So if you've got a "star vehicle" play, your 12th choice had better be as interesting and buzzy as your first choice.

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#96DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/18/24 at 6:14pm

I would love to see Brendan Fraser take on the role of Fr Flynn.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#97DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/18/24 at 8:50pm

Years ago? Ago. Maybe. But right now he falls into the Seymour Hoffman trap of appearing guilty without even trying. 

sondheim94 Profile Photo
sondheim94
#98DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/18/24 at 9:10pm

You think PSH read as "guilty without even trying"?? I disagree. I think Denis OHare would fall into that category but I'd pay good money to see it.

PipingHotPiccolo
#99DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/18/24 at 9:24pm

i worship at the altar of PSH but i actually think he'd be all wrong for a stage production of this- hes too complicated, too multi-tiered for a guy who needs to be a likable, feisty, coach-like regulahguy. Brian F O'byrne created the mold here, and I think they went a bit too far with Ron Eldard afterward--Schreiber is perfect and not the problem in this production. 

very very curious how critics will receive this.