pixeltracker

Grammys Best Musical Theatre Album 2024

Grammys Best Musical Theatre Album 2024

ShowBro Profile Photo
ShowBro
#1Grammys Best Musical Theatre Album 2024
Posted: 2/2/24 at 1:00pm

Who will win on Sunday night?? Kimberly Akimbo, Parade, Shucked, Some Like It Hot, and Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

I’m hoping Kimberly Akimbo!! (I wouldn’t mind Groban winning for Todd either.)

kurtal
#2Grammys Best Musical Theatre Album 2024
Posted: 2/2/24 at 3:18pm

ShowBro said: "Who will win on Sunday night??Kimberly Akimbo,Parade, Shucked, Some Like It Hot, and Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

I’m hoping Kimberly Akimbo!! (I wouldn’t mind Groban winning for Todd either.)
"

I think it's a three-way race between Kimberly Akimbo, Parade, and Sweeney Todd.  

KA has the benefit of being the Tony winner for Best Musical but is a weird little show (as we all know), and the cast recording may be confusing to anyone who hasn't seen it live.  

Sweeney has name recognition for both the show and Groban.  And it's just so lush.  

Parade won Best Revival and feels like a strong zeitgeist-y choice.

Of the three, my favorite recording is Parade, but I have a sneaking suspicion Sweeney is going to take it.  

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#3Grammys Best Musical Theatre Album 2024
Posted: 2/2/24 at 4:29pm

Who votes on this category?

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#4Grammys Best Musical Theatre Album 2024
Posted: 2/2/24 at 4:58pm

Any voter is allowed to vote in the category. However, voters are limited to how many fields and categories they can vote in.

I’m expecting Sweeney Todd to win but hoping for Kimberly Akimbo to be the victor.

MemorableUserName
#5Grammys Best Musical Theatre Album 2024
Posted: 2/2/24 at 5:55pm

Back when the nominations were announced it was discussed how none of the Kimberly Akimbo or Shucked performers had been nominated. It looks like that's been amended, though it's interesting that KA still only put Clark forward as principal vocalist:

Kimberly Akimbo
Victoria Clark, principal vocalist; John Clancy, David Stone & Jeanine Tesori, producers; Jeanine Tesori, composer; David Lindsay-Abaire, lyricist (Original Broadway Cast)

Parade
Micaela Diamond, Alex Joseph Grayson, Jake Pedersen & Ben Platt, principal vocalists; Jason Robert Brown & Jeffrey Lesser, producers; Jason Robert Brown, composer & lyricist (2023 Broadway Cast)

Shucked
John Behlmann, Andrew Durand, Caroline Innerbichler & Alex Newell, principal vocalists; Brandy Clark, Jason Howland, Shane McAnally & Billy Jay Stein, producers; Brandy Clark & Shane McAnally, composers/lyricists (Original Broadway Cast)

Some Like It Hot
Christian Borle, J. Harrison Ghee, Adrianna Hicks & NaTasha Yvette Williams, principal vocalists; Mary-Mitchell Campbell, Bryan Carter, Scott M. Riesett, Charlie Rosen & Marc Shaiman, producers; Scott Wittman, lyricist; Marc Shaiman, composer & lyricist (Original Broadway Cast)

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street
Annaleigh Ashford & Josh Groban, principal vocalists; Thomas Kail & Alex Lacamoire, producers (Stephen Sondheim, composer & lyricist) (2023 Broadway Cast)

Updated On: 2/2/24 at 05:55 PM

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#6Grammys Best Musical Theatre Album 2024
Posted: 2/2/24 at 8:56pm

Fingers crossed for Kimberly Akimbo.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#7Grammys Best Musical Theatre Album 2024
Posted: 2/2/24 at 11:10pm

Sweeney Todd

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#8Grammys Best Musical Theatre Album 2024
Posted: 2/4/24 at 5:07pm

I hope the second massive storm scheduled to hit Southern California soon will not negatively impact the Grammy Awards.  Stay safe (and dry) everyone.

Non sibi sed patriae

Voter
#9Grammys Best Musical Theatre Album 2024
Posted: 2/4/24 at 5:26pm

And the 2024 Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album goes to…

Some Like It Hot

ElephantLoveMedley
#10Grammys Best Musical Theatre Album 2024
Posted: 2/4/24 at 5:30pm

I was rooting for Sweeney Todd to take this, but exciting for the SLIH team.

BdwyFan
#11Grammys Best Musical Theatre Album 2024
Posted: 2/4/24 at 5:34pm

And should have won the Tony! 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#12Grammys Best Musical Theatre Album 2024
Posted: 2/4/24 at 5:34pm

Congrats Hotties on this honor! 

Shaiman still needs an Oscar for that EGOT. 

Oh look, a bibu!

BCfitasafiddle
#13Grammys Best Musical Theatre Album 2024
Posted: 2/4/24 at 5:35pm

It really is a terrific album. Thrilled for Shaiman and Wittman.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#14Grammys Best Musical Theatre Album 2024
Posted: 2/4/24 at 5:38pm

This was a strong category. Glad to see SLIH win (my most-listened-to of this bunch).

I still find it funny that & JULIET recorded two different cast albums (London & Broadway) –– nearly identical –– and didn't score a Grammy nom for either despite the prowess of people like Max Martin and Bill Sherman.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#15Grammys Best Musical Theatre Album 2024
Posted: 2/4/24 at 6:09pm

Very nice! It's a really good recording. I love the orchestrations.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Wayman_Wong
#16Grammys Best Musical Theatre Album 2024
Posted: 2/4/24 at 7:10pm

Alas, Sondheim was a 3-time Grammy loser today.

Besides ''Sweeney Todd's'' loss for Musical Theater Album, Liz Callaway's ''To Steve With Love'' and ''Sondheim Unplugged'' both lost in Traditional Pop to Laufey, an Icelandic artist.

Updated On: 2/4/24 at 07:10 PM