pixeltracker

THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews- Page 6

THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews

wheety1621
#125THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/6/24 at 2:09pm

Saw this on our trip last month from the UK and I’m still thinking about it and raving about it to other people. I cannot wait for the cast recording to relive the music. It was honestly the highlight of the entire trip and the 5 other shows we saw.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#126THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/7/24 at 10:41am

This is my first time getting Partial View in a lottery win. How partial do we think side front Orchestra (specifically row D 11/13) is? My partner is very interested in this show (a rare case) and I don’t want them to miss much. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

yyys
#127THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/7/24 at 11:12am

There are some balcony scenes that might be obstructed from extreme house left...Row D 11/13 are house left it looks like.  I don't think you'll miss much as the majority of the scenes happen center stage.

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "This is my first time getting Partial View in a lottery win. How partial do we think side front Orchestra (specifically row D 11/13) is? My partner is very interested in this show (a rare case) and I don’t want them to miss much."

yyys
#128THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/7/24 at 11:34am

It is very clear in the movie, especially the rollercoaster scene.......I do wish there are more dialogue during their first encounter in this musical...it is the book writer's fault I guess.

Cape Twirl of Doom said: "  Seems like they met each other and immediately it was like they were completely in love. I guess that's just typical storytelling for these types of romance movies/books and is why they are my absolute least favorite genre.

Updated On: 3/7/24 at 11:34 AM

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#129THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/7/24 at 5:28pm

I think it's an established convention of musical theater, old and new, that audiences are supposed to take the romantic leads' deep and lasting love for granted with minimal on-stage demonstration of the actual process of falling in love. Usually I have no trouble going with this convention. There aren't many shows like The Most Happy Fella, where the details of that process form the backbone of the story.

HunterK Profile Photo
HunterK
#130THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/9/24 at 11:40am

Went to see it again on Thursday evening, now that it's officially frozen, and they have one of the strongest show I have seen in a long time. That cast is just wonderful. Maryanne Plunkett gives a performance of a lifetime. Her face says it all. Very happy for Joy Woods having this moment, because that career is going to take her lots of amazing places. 

There was press there already, a person at the end of my row had a press back and was jotting down notes throughout the show. 

Wishing it the best of luck on Thursday!

TicketBoy
#131THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/9/24 at 11:47am

For those concerned with the staging early on, the scenes that took place on the apron have all been restaged further upstage. The apron is really only used for cross overs and brief solo moments now. 

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#132THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/9/24 at 6:04pm

In regards to the seats I mentioned earlier, I’d say you miss basically a third of the show visually. Which is fine for the price, but we’ll be going back and picking our seats so we can get the full thing. 

…because we LOVED the 2/3 we could see! . The performances are stellar across the board, crystal clear vocals, beautiful sets. The water effect(s) were fun. The music is incredibly well done, and definitely worth getting the cast recording!

I hope this has a healthy run because it’s artistically a solid adaptation, as opposed to a nostalgic cash grab. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

BETTY22
#133THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/10/24 at 5:28pm

Its sweet and very nice – but not good enough.

The biggest problem is the movie and the book are better.

The first act drags and it’s not clear why these two didn’t see each other in a decade. 

Changing the time period hasn’t help, although I suspect it’s because they didn’t want – or couldn’t write - a 40’s period score.

Talking of the score, it is forgettable. Sounds like songs that Taylor Swift cut from one of her early albums.

The cast is superb, however, deciding to have three very different looking people play the same character, confused several people around me. 

The book is mostly lines lifted from the source material, however, the rain scene is spectacular.

Reminded me of ‘Almost Famous,’ but clearly trying to be ‘Waitress.’

Audience was muted at the end.  Only a handful of people leaped to their feet.

Was noticeable how many people left at intermission. 

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#134THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/11/24 at 8:39am

Maryann Plunkett is giving a performance of a lifetime,  However count me in as one of the people dissapointed with the show as a whole. . The casting decision to have three very different actors play the lead which is quite confusing and left some emotional crumbs on the table didn't help,  the lack of understanding HOW these two fell in love - not being told that they did and the staging that I found overly dark quite often and didn't feel like the entire stage was being utilized all made me realize this show wasn't for me.  

The music was good - some songs a lot stronger than others.  The performances are also quote strong but I hate to say that the Casting was a huge problem for me.  I am a lefty liberal and just found it overly woke and confusing.  

I didn't make it for the second act on this one.  I was rooting for it but I don't even think for a second this show is for me.  

brdwybound04
#135THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/11/24 at 8:39am

Does anyone have any intel on how to snag a single ticket for this Thursday’s opening night performance? Tickets are not available on Telecharge for that performance currently! :(

Synecdoche2 Profile Photo
Synecdoche2
#136THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/11/24 at 12:29pm

VernonGersch said: "I am a lefty liberal and just found it overly woke and confusing."

Any actual "lefty liberal" would not use the word "woke" as a pejorative.

JSquared2
#137THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/11/24 at 12:33pm

VernonGersch said: "Maryann Plunkett is giving a performance of a lifetime, However count me in as one of the people dissapointed with the show as a whole. . The casting decision to have three very different actors play the lead which is quiteconfusing and left some emotional crumbs on the table didn't help,the lack of understanding HOW these two fellin love - not being told that they didand the staging that I found overly dark quite often and didn't feel like the entire stage was being utilized all made me realize this show wasn't for me.

I didn't make it for the second act on this one. I was rooting for it but I don't even think for a second this show is for me.
"

How can you be "disappointed with the whole as a whole" when you only stayed for Act I?

yyys
#138THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/11/24 at 12:35pm

HAHA so true.

Synecdoche2 said: "VernonGersch said: "I am a lefty liberal and just found it overly woke and confusing."

"

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#139THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/11/24 at 2:14pm

I'm sorry - there is nothing "woke" about this show, unless you're just referring to the casting. And if someone finds that disturbing, well, you know.

TicketBoy
#140THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/11/24 at 3:46pm

People are really out here telling on themselves with these casting complaints. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#141THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/11/24 at 3:56pm

the casting was a huge problem for me.  I am a lefty liberal and just found it overly woke and confusing

Just an FYI, being "woke" simply means to be informed. There was nothing confusing about the cast if you aren't racist which is something even "lefty liberals" can be. 

Yikes. 

Updated On: 3/11/24 at 03:56 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#142THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/11/24 at 4:06pm

I’m curious if Ryan Gosling or Rachel McAdams will be in attendance at opening night.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#143THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/11/24 at 4:08pm

I liked this show and I think it's in decent shape, but I also won't be surprised if we see more than a few mixed reviews get published this week. 

We just never know in this unpredictable season for new musicals, until something happens. 

Oh look, a bibu!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#144THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/11/24 at 4:17pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I’m curious if Ryan Gosling or Rachel McAdams will be in attendance at opening night."

WHERE IS GENA ROWLANDS! Big spring for the Cassavetes family, actually, between this and Ivo's Opening Night.

If I were Gosling & McAdams' publicist or the show publicist, I would advise that they skip the opening. Attend some other night if they feel compelled to do so. If they go to the opening, the attention would be on them and on the movie, instead of on the musical. (The musical is also technically not based on the film, it is based only on the book.)

I could also 100% see a Tonys Q&A event or NYT piece where Ingrid Michaelson and Rachel McAdams interview each other about their respective works on Broadway this year.

Perhaps Joan Allen from the film will see it at some point too. She'll likely be in town since her partner has a show opening on Bway this spring.

Updated On: 3/11/24 at 04:17 PM

PipingHotPiccolo
#145THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/11/24 at 9:00pm

Synecdoche2 said: "VernonGersch said: "I am a lefty liberal and just found it overly woke and confusing."

"

I'm a proud liberal who uses the word "woke" as a negative for lack of a better term to describe the descent into non-thinking we are seeing on the extreme left these days

BUT there is nothing leftist, "woke" or even political about The Notebook whatsoever, so this is basically someone who was mad at colorblind casting, and unlike the rest of the universe, didnt get used to it after 30 seconds. Quite a tell, indeed.

MezzA101
#146THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/12/24 at 11:14am

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/203878/as-the-notebooks-older-allie-maryann-plunkett-delivers-a-tribute-to-her-mother-and-a-love-story-for-the-elders/

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#147THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/12/24 at 11:54am

I really don't understand the confusion around Noah and Allie being played by three different actors or varying race. It's a simple and straightforward love story that focuses on a couple's relationship from beginning to end. It's not like this is a convoluted and complicated story... 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#148THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/13/24 at 10:56pm

bwayphreak234 said: "I really don't understand the confusion around Noah and Allie being played by three different actors or varying race. It's a simple and straightforward love story that focuses on a couple's relationship from beginning to end. It's not like this is a convoluted and complicated story..."

I'm in the camp that if you want to cast the best actor for a role regardless of race go for it and I'll catch up. But it did take some catching up. 

At first I wasn't sure if the younger characters were who I thought they were. Then i wasn't sure if the casting was trying to make a statement about memory loss and not being able to remember what people looked like. 

Anyway, I was at today's matinee and was surprised how much I liked it, in the context of being someone who only make it through the first 30 minutes of the movie. 

Related to nothing, I was sitting next Carolee Carmello of Bad Cinderella, who appeared to be one of the chaperones for a student group of some sort.   

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#149THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/13/24 at 11:30pm

Jonathan Cohen said: "Carolee Carmello of Bad Cinderella"

I’m sorry! Of WHAT now?!?!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Latest Posts