News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Sweeney Todd, question about extension

Sweeney Todd, question about extension

justherehanging
#1Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/6/24 at 8:04am

has anybody heard any rumors will the show be extended past May?

I’m coming in June currently 

I really want to see Aaron and Sutton. Currently it’s only going through early May and I was wondering if anybody had heard any rumors about possible extension

I’m trying to avoid booking another trip to New York in March or April to see the show if it will be extended through June

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/6/24 at 10:23am

I'm doubting it will be with them IF there is another extension. This is a crazy short contract, if they were available longer I suspect at least 4-6 month initial.

Someone stated recently that getting this extension in place was crazy difficult and that it's expected to be the final. 

Just my two cents. (Can't verify with any proof, just what's "out there").)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

OhHiii
#3Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/6/24 at 10:28am

The production will close on May 5 unless something extraordinary happens with a replacement cast. Which is unlikely given how difficult it was for them to lock in Aaron and Sutton.

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#4Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/6/24 at 10:28am

The show is closing May 5th, if you really want to see it I’d try to get tickets before that.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#5Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/6/24 at 9:06pm

I hope they end up getting more broadway stars to keep it going. Or even if they can’t, the title sells tickets, no?  

hearthemsing22
#6Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/7/24 at 9:15am

Broadway Flash said: "I hope they end up getting more broadway stars to keep it going. Or even if they can’t, the title sells tickets, no?"

Anybody immediately come to mind who you think could take over after Sutton and Aaron?

Broadway Flash
#7Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/7/24 at 9:25am

Sure there’s plenty.  Steven Pasquale and philippa soo, Jessie mueller, patina miller, Josh Henry, Christian borle, Donna Murphy, Bernadette peters, Katrina lenk, Jordan donica

dramamama611
#8Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/7/24 at 11:12am

Bernadette is 75.  Donna Murphy is 65. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Broadway Flash
#9Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/7/24 at 11:14am

And?

inception Profile Photo
inception
#10Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/7/24 at 11:39am

None of those people are big enough names to sell through the summer.

Soo & Donica, as marvelous as I thought they were, couldn't keep Camelot open last year.

Katrina Lenk wasn't a draw for Company.

SLIH crawled through the year with Borle.

Broadway names - while immensely talented - are not enough to sell tickets.

Broadway Flash
#11Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/7/24 at 11:52am

Couldn’t we say the same thing about Sutton and Aaron? And isn’t the show enough of a draw? I mean, it’s not like there are stars in Book of Mormon and that thing is still going. Sweeney should be turned into a long runner. 

dramamama611
#12Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/7/24 at 12:20pm

And you could say the same thing of any show that is long running.  But their future revivals would likely never meet that same longevity.

Sweeney has NEVER managed to be a long running show. The original ran 15 months, The revivals?  5 months & 10 months, and the current production which looks like it will be 14-15 months. (Even with Sutton and Tveit, there are discount codes already)

justherehanging
#13Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/7/24 at 12:31pm

Can you share the discount code 

spicemonkey
#14Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/7/24 at 12:45pm

wondering what is the story behind “hard to lock SF and AT” ?

Broadway Flash
#15Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/7/24 at 12:56pm

I thought Sutton was doing some concerts in the spring. Idk if that’s me misremembering but I thought I got an email about her doing a concert at the state theatre of Nj in March that is now in the fall. 

TheaterBoy7777 Profile Photo
TheaterBoy7777
#16Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/7/24 at 12:58pm

BARBERTC is the discount code

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#17Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/7/24 at 1:00pm

There is pretty much no such thing as a Broadway "star" –– in the ticket-selling sense –– nowadays, and musical revivals generally don't have a long shelf life.

Obviously the grosses with Foster & Tveit will be lower than with Groban; the question is how much better they'll be than the interim weeks when standbys were going on.

Foster & Tveit weren't the first choice of replacements (as has been discussed elsewhere on this forum), and limiting their run to 3 months is smart, but that might be the end of the road for this Broadway SWEENEY. Which is a totally respectable run. It made its money back, and some producers would have opted to close on a high instead of putting up a fight for sales like they'll be doing here.

Broadway Flash
#18Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/7/24 at 4:09pm

I’m absolutely confident Sutton and Aaron will be a smash hit at the box office. Fabulous musical, fabulous performers, fabulous production. Who wouldn’t want to see them in these roles??  The theatre queens will be there.

JSquared2
#19Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/7/24 at 4:15pm

Broadway Flash said: "I’m absolutely confident Sutton and Aaron will be a smash hit at the box office. Fabulous musical, fabulous performers, fabulous production. Who wouldn’t want to see them in these roles?? The theatre queens will be there."

Just like they were for BAD CINDERELLA?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#20Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/7/24 at 4:39pm

Broadway Flash said: "The theatre queens will be there."

Theatre queens are a small group of people who cannot sustain a run of any show, and usually aren't buying tickets at the $125+ level that this show will require. I expect the first few weeks will be strong for Sutton & Aaron, but let's see how things look after that.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#21Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/7/24 at 4:49pm

Has anyone posted who else have been considered for the roles :)? Always want to know the casting that could never be.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 2/7/24 at 04:49 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#22Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/8/24 at 7:40am

Who wouldn’t want to see them in these roles??  The theatre queens will be there.

Yeah, the ones not helping the grosses - they do the discounted rush tickets and digital lotteries. kiss

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#23Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/8/24 at 11:41am

binau said: "Has anyone posted who else have been considered for the roles :)? Always want to know the casting that could never be."

Someone on the board said Hugh Jackman was asked, but of course he was.

I would also like to hear who else was reached out to before they settled on Tveit and Foster. I also find that kind of stuff fascinating.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#24Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/8/24 at 11:49am

BrodyFosse123 said: "Who wouldn’t want to see them in these roles?? The theatre queens will be there.

Yeah, the ones not helping the grosses - they do the discounted rush tickets and digital lotteries.kiss
"

THIS! Also, as a member of the theatre queen community, I remember the reaction to Foster and Tveit being cast as a giant WTF?

I still want a Raul Esparza “Sweeney” but I feel like he would have even less recognition than Tveit/Foster despite 5 years on Law & Order SVU. Pity they can’t get Audra to come in as the Beggar Woman for a few weeks. I also wonder how a Katrina Lenk Lovett would be.

Ultimately, I think bowing out at May 5th is the smart idea since it then won’t have to compete with the extensive glut of new shows coming this Spring that will ultimately cannibalize each other (no pun intended)

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#25Sweeney Todd, question about extension
Posted: 2/9/24 at 2:21am

Hugh and Sutton[again] and the money keeps rolling on in.

Videos