pixeltracker

AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews- Page 2

AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#25AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/29/24 at 12:30am

Has anyone also seen the West End production to compare?

I saw the London one but curious as to where they land in terms of adaptations.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

BoringBoredBoard40
#26AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/29/24 at 2:47am

MemorableUserName said: "From Instagram via Reddit.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

"

wait what is this? is this randomly given to people or do you buy a certain seat for this?

Damiensta
#27AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/29/24 at 2:31pm

Does the overhang block the upper seat views. Seems kinda low or does it go up once it starts?

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#28AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/29/24 at 2:51pm

wsondheim94 said: "I'll never understand folks being able to sit through a 2 hour movie but not a 2 hour play (in terms of bathroom and food breaks... not including those with disabilities etc etc). Don't have 6 cocktails before the first act, and a 5 minute stretch is more than enough to get me through the next 30-60 min of a play."

Couple distinctions for me about why bathroom anxiety is worse at the theater than at the movies: Generally, at a movie, people aren't seated so tightly together, so getting up is less of a distraction for those around you. For this reason, there's a larger sense of being "trapped" at the theater. Also, missing 5 minutes of something I paid $15 for and can return to in the future feels different than missing 5 minutes of something I paid $100+ for. Knowing I'm getting a bathroom break alleviates my pre-show anxiety about having to go in the first place. 

JSquared2
#29AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/29/24 at 3:02pm

TheQuibbler said: "wsondheim94 said: "I'll never understand folks being able to sit through a 2 hour movie but not a 2 hour play (in terms of bathroom and food breaks... not including those with disabilities etc etc). Don't have 6 cocktails before the first act, and a 5 minute stretch is more than enough to get me through the next 30-60 min of a play."

Couple distinctions for me about why bathroom anxiety is worse at the theater than at themovies: Generally, at a movie, people aren't seated so tightly together, so getting up is less of a distraction for those around you. For this reason, there's a larger sense of being "trapped" at the theater. Also, missing 5 minutes of something I paid $15 for and can return to in the future feels different than missing 5 minutes of something I paid $100+ for. Knowing I'm getting a bathroom break alleviates my pre-show anxiety about having to go in the first place.
"

One word.  Depends.

rachelfran
#30AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/29/24 at 3:08pm

Jonathan Cohen said: "Wick3 said: "I’m excited for you! I wonder if you’ll be standing on the stage area? Or in the traditional standing room area begins the last row of seats at Circle in the Square.

Normally productions don’t allow standing room during previews (in my experience.)
"

The standing room area is on the rails on two sides behind the last row of seats. On the side I was on, the creative team was in the row in front of us. I believe Sam Gold was the person I was standing behind.

I was lucky enough to get upgraded at the last second, so I actually saw the show from the second row.
"

Do you have any sense of whether others were upgraded?

I just won a lottery for tomorrow night but standing for two hours would be difficult for me so I'm hesitant to take the chance.

Thanks

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#31AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/29/24 at 3:47pm

Is the 2hrs run-time still accurate? 

What section/side should I look for the quickest exit? Trying to hit a 9:30 show @ 54 Below after a 7pm "Enemy."  (Haven't been to Circle in several years)

bettyco
#32AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/29/24 at 10:42pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "MemorableUserName said: "From Instagram via Reddit.

"

wait what is this? is this randomly given to people or do you buy a certain seat for this?
"

The crew members were walking up about 4 rows or so in the sections on the far side of the stage and asking people sitting on the aisle if they wanted to go up.

MemorableUserName
#33AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 3/1/24 at 4:44am

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "MemorableUserName said: "From Instagram via Reddit.

"

"

Here's another Instagram photo with that scene and the audience members on stage. You can see the empty seats in the back near the aisle. It would make sense that they would ask people there close to the aisle who could get out and back to their seats easily afterward. If you want to be asked, that's probably where you need to be.

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#34AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 3/4/24 at 12:53am

Really enjoyed the play and this production - having never seen nor read it (although had seen Bellevue) and Amy Herzog's adaptation of A Doll's House.  Audience tonight also seemed to enjoy and be throughly entertained and on edge. Since I have yet to figure out how to create a toggle spoiler alert, I think the more of a discovery the entire production the better enjoyed perhaps so won't dive into detail. 

The entire ensemble was excellent.  Two discoveries for me were Caleb Eberhardt and Victoria Pedretti (how have I missed everything she has been in?!!).  Jeremy and Michael are giving it all.  

Highly recommend. 

yyys
#35AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 3/4/24 at 3:55pm

You'll be fine....just don't do bottomless drinks at brunch 2 hrs before the show.

TheQuibbler said: "Couple distinctions for me about why bathroom anxiety is worse at the theater than at themovies: Generally, at a movie, people aren't seated so tightly together, so getting up is less of a distraction for those around you. For this reason, there's a larger sense of being "trapped" at the theater. Also, missing 5 minutes of something I paid $15 for and can return to in the future feels different than missing 5 minutes of something I paid $100+ for. Knowing I'm getting a bathroom break alleviates my pre-show anxiety about having to go in the first place."

yyys
#36AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 3/4/24 at 4:06pm

It was 1 hr 50 last night (started at 7:10 and done at 9 PM) 

jpbran said: "Is the 2hrs run-time still accurate?

What section/side should I look for the quickest exit? Trying to hit a 9:30 show @ 54 Below after a 7pm "Enemy." (Haven't been to Circle in several years)
"

Updated On: 3/4/24 at 04:06 PM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#37AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 3/4/24 at 4:52pm

Updated On: 3/4/24 at 04:52 PM

TotallyEffed
#38AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 3/4/24 at 4:52pm

jpbran said: "Is the 2hrs run-time still accurate?

What section/side should I look for the quickest exit? Trying to hit a 9:30 show @ 54 Below after a 7pm "Enemy." (Haven't been to Circle in several years)
"

It's only a few blocks, you will have time to use the bathroom and everything. :)

sppunk
#39AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 3/4/24 at 6:33pm

So where to sit? Wanted to see Easter weekend but it’s sold out except the very first row and $$$$ so will see in early May instead. 

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#40AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 3/4/24 at 7:00pm

yyys said: "You'll be fine....just don't do bottomless drinks at brunch 2 hrs before the show.”

Just who, exactly, do you think is going to a bottomless brunch before An Enemy of the People???

Updated On: 3/4/24 at 07:00 PM

TotallyEffed
#41AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 3/4/24 at 7:29pm

Matt Rogers said: "yyys said: "You'll be fine....just don't do bottomless drinks at brunch 2 hrs before the show.”

Just who, exactly, do you think is going to a bottomless brunch before An Enemy of the People???

You don’t know my life.

"

yyys
#42AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 3/4/24 at 8:30pm

People you're dragging to the show.

Matt Rogers said: "yyys said: "You'll be fine....just don't do bottomless drinks at brunch 2 hrs before the show.”

Just who, exactly, do you think is going to a bottomless brunch before An Enemy of the People???"

Updated On: 3/4/24 at 08:30 PM

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#43AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 3/4/24 at 10:45pm

TotallyEffed said: "jpbran said: "Is the 2hrs run-time still accurate? What section/side should I look for the quickest exit? Trying to hit a 9:30 show @ 54 Below after a 7pm "Enemy." (Haven't been to Circle in several years)"

It's only a few blocks, you will have time to use the bathroom and everything. :)
"

Thx, Effed! Have been stuck down by misunderstood running times and super-slow exiting patrons at least once or twice in the past. :-O

MemorableUserName
#44AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 3/4/24 at 11:02pm

For those who've seen it, do they do the 

part where the townspeople chant "Enemy! Enemy! Enemy of the people!"

in this version? It should be 

chilling, and downright terrifying

if done right, but my main memory of the Boyd Gaines/Richard Thomas revival a decade ago was trying not to laugh because it came across as so cheesy and dumb. With the state of the world today it might be hard to find it anything but chilling...if they do it right, or at all.

yyys
#45AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 3/5/24 at 12:26pm

Funny you asked, it was almost laughable. They did use a prop for this scene....sorry I don't know how to put spoiler content :)

MemorableUserName said: "For those who've seen it, do they do the

part where the townspeople chant "Enemy! Enemy! Enemy of the people!"

in this version? It should be

if done right, but my main memory of the Boyd Gaines/Richard Thomas revival a decade ago was trying not to laugh because it came across as so cheesy and dumb. With the state of the world today it might be hardto find it anything but chilling...if they do it right, or at all."

Gwiss
#46AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 3/5/24 at 1:54pm

I just saw this production as few days ago, and am still trying to unpack it. And not in a good way. There were many wonderful moments scattered throughout (some actors stronger than others) but the pacing and rhythm felt disjointed and some directorial choices were bizarre that did not work for me. I understand Sam Gold trying to make the experience more immersive but it just did not work for me.

The singing at the top of the show was lovely as actors lit the lanterns and candles but then the drunkard sing song became cringe when it was used continuously for transitions. 

The 5 minute 'pause' where the modern day bar lowers from the ceiling and select audience members are invited onstage did not work for me. It felt more like a disruption and as a result the whole rhythm of the show grinded to a halt and never fully recovered.

At one point during the second half I actually muttered out loud "what the hell is going on?"

The pretzels and paper cups of shots handed out to folks onstage are not a good idea. They are clearly told not to bring anything back to their seats but everyone did which caused even more chaos.

At one point a guy brought his snack back to the 'standing room' section right behind my seated row and began munching on them like Cookie Monster. It was awful. I also remember laughing out loud at a few moments that were suppose to be serious. It was not a good experience. But alas, they are still in previews and a lot is probably still being worked out in terms of direction and pacing. It felt a bit like the twilight zone for me, as I would constantly look around the audience to assess reactions and it look very mixed. The audience leapt to their feet at the end and I was left scratching my head. 

Updated On: 3/5/24 at 01:54 PM

kevinr
#47AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 3/5/24 at 2:57pm

Did anyone go to the Stage Door after the show?  I am seeing this show in April and am a big fan of Jeremy & Michael.  Hoping they will sign the windowcard that I hope is available by then.

BETTY22
#48AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 3/5/24 at 4:25pm

It is selling great. Several second-string press people are being offered one ticket - rather than two.

This show is a HIT 

MemorableUserName
#49AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews
Posted: 3/5/24 at 7:52pm

yyys said: "Funny you asked, it was almost laughable. They did use a prop for this scene....sorry I don't know how to put spoiler content :)

Thanks for the response! Sad (or funny?) that they couldn't get the moment to work either.

(For spoilers you click on the + symbol in a square, to the right of the smiley, on the toolbar above the comment box.)