pixeltracker

THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews- Page 5

THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews

SisterGeorge
#100THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/17/24 at 11:42am

East Village said: "I saw Friday’s preview and visually the show is in great shape. The music & sound is perfect. If anything I thought it should be louder but it buildsthroughout the first act as it should.

Every scene with Ali Louis Bourguizis a revelation however narratively the show is all over the place and incomprehensible at times. If you don’t know the material then Tommy’s transformation into an adult and the entire Sally Simpson story could be lost on you —that’s all the problem with the director.

I don’t think the show feels regional as some have pointed out but there are no standouts or show stoppers with any of the featured performers — again, they aren’t directed to be that way and that’s a problem. Acid Queen needs to be a show stopper but it’s a mess that doesn’t advance the plot, doesn’t make sense as directed and could be cut!

But let me get away from the weak parts less this feel like a mediocre review which it is not. If you love the music and love stage design you’ll be in for a treat. I didn’t know you could do thingsvisually like this on stage.I was one of the first to jump to my feet and I don’t think anyone walked away disappointed.
"

I saw the same performance you did literally and figuratively, specially the Acid Queen scene—total confusion and disappointing performance. But  my group of 4 loved the show and couldn’t stop talking about it afterwards. Interestingly, there were 3 teens sitting in front of me and I thought “for them, this must be similar to my experience seeing No No Nanette in the ‘70s. They did not return for Act II.

Sister George

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#101THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/17/24 at 3:07pm

BroadwayBen said: "I know the original album and I saw the 93 production. I've just never understood what TOMMY was about other than some talented rock and rollers getting stoned and writing a messy rock opera. I've never understood what actual story point was. Thoughts?"

The one common thread that runs through all iterations from the 1969 album to the 1975 movie to the musical is the idea that personal trauma and societal values are barriers to reaching inner peace and enlightenment. It's a weird and messy metaphor to be sure from a narrative standpoint, but you can see that Townshend is arguing that trauma, society/celebrity, and organized religion prevent enlightenment. 

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

Miss10036 Profile Photo
Miss10036
#102THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/18/24 at 10:45pm

I won the lotto on Thursday.  I went in as a Tommy novice and found the production exciting—it scratched a "direction- and choreography-driven rock opera" itch I didn't know I had, and I wish I saw more shows like that.  I found the direction and choreo kinetic and I especially enjoyed the dance-heavy, wordless sequences.  It was refreshing to see something less literal, where the way the story’s told is more interesting than what’s on the page.  I personally liked the sleek/futuristic feel and didn’t find the design elements cheap or lacking.  Having read more about the original production (which I didn't see) since Thursday though, I kind of wish they punched up the designs more.  This production will tour well, but it would’ve been thrilling to see a Tommy that pulled out all the stops.

No real cast standouts to me, though everyone was solid.  I suppose the individual actors' performances aren’t as much the focus in a musical like this, but there were some missed opportunities for the performances to elevate the show imo (like Acid Queen, which was more weird than anything).  Alison Luff's Smash the Mirror was the vocal highlight, and the cast is giving 110% with the choreography.  It's an odd show and story for sure.  I didn't know the album lyrics super well going in and there were parts where the narrative wasn't entirely clear to me, though I did catch up. They could’ve done more to build up/clarify the cultishness of Tommy's following—what his followers' obsession is like, why the militaristic uniforms, what kind of leader Tommy's devotees view him as, etc.

I had no issues with the sound.  Judging by the more recent reports on here having fewer volume complaints, perhaps they've toned it down?

What I did take issue with is how much action is staged at or towards the back of the stage.  Now, I knew my cheap lotto seat was partial view and expected obstructions.  While I missed a good deal of staging, it didn't impact my ability to follow what was going on.  But I was in the most centered partial view seat in my row and can't imagine the sightlines were meaningfully better just one, or even two, seats over.  I'm not surprised people are missing action from non-partial view side orchestra seats.  Additionally, there were moments where the projections would frame what was happening onstage, like in the Overture.  I could see what was happening behind the "frames" by looking around them from the side, but I worry they'd block people trying to look through them (unless they're more see-through than I think). 

I get wanting to fill the stage with the large cast they have, but it just felt unnecessary to stage that much of the show so far upstage.  It's like they're creating sightline issues when they don't need to.

rachelfran
#103THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/19/24 at 2:11pm

I won the lottery ticket for tonight -- i'm wondering what time you got your ticket.

I know the email said an hour prior -- which seems very late .. was it that late?

Did anyone move from their very side view seats to better located seats if the show is not sold out?

Thanks

Miss10036 Profile Photo
Miss10036
#104THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/19/24 at 5:10pm

rachelfran said: "I won the lottery ticket for tonight -- i'm wondering what time you got your ticket.

I know the email said an hour prior -- which seems very late .. was it that late?

Did anyone move from their very side view seats to better located seats if the show is not sold out?

Thanks

"

My ticket email came through at 3:45 pm.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#105THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 10:05am

Overall (this was my first live exposure to TOMMY), I enjoyed this quite a bit for the most part, but I do have to say something was up with the lead's mic last night (or his diction, honestly)? I could understand everyone else very clearly, but about 65% of his lyrics were lost, which...was unfortunate. 

And I did miss the actual physical pinball machine from the original production (thank you, YouTube). Would've also loved more physical set pieces. Part of me also wanted to see the orchestra onstage - they sounded phenomenal and it would have been thrilling to see them, too.

Other than that, it's a bit of a rehash of the original production in almost every aspect, it seems, but for the most part it's wildly entertaining. It's certainly not going to give MERRILY or CABARET a run for the Tony, but it's an enjoyable night out.

I'd love to see Bobby Conte get a Tony nomination - he was so great in COMPANY and was a standout for me in this as well. 

Updated On: 3/20/24 at 10:05 AM

hearthemsing22
#106THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 10:37am

WiCkEDrOcKS said: "Overall (this was my first live exposure to TOMMY), I enjoyed this quite a bit, but I do have to say something was up with the lead's mic last night (or his diction, honestly)? I could understand everyone else very clearly, but about 65% of his lyrics were lost, which...was unfortunate.

And I did miss the actual physical pinball machine from the original production (thank you, YouTube). Would'v also loved more physical set pieces. Other than that, it's a bit of a rehash of the original production in almost every aspect, it seems, but overall, it's wildly entertaining. I'd love to see Bobby Conte get a Tony nomination - he was so great in COMPANY and was a standout for me in this as well.
"

I was disappointed that they didn't include a real pinball machine as well. I wonder if they'll reconsider before they freeze the show. 

yyys
#107THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 10:50am

so what did they use during Pinball Wizard?? 

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#108THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 11:23am

There are set pieces that suggest a pinball machine. Generally, this production is less concrete than the original and it sort of goes with that vibe. In some ways, I think it's sort of smart it moves away from pinball being such a central image... but I too missed the pinball machines.

Jesus saves. I spend.

hearthemsing22
#109THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 11:27am

yyys said: "so what did they use during Pinball Wizard??"

Essentially just metal tables with a pinball machine outline 

rachelfran
#110THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 11:41am

Last night I won a lottery ticket in the mezz row F seat 19; Normally I prefer Orchestra, but I saw so many saying they had partial view from the side in the orchestra and this one turned out better.  If I missed anything -- I wasn't aware of it. I was able to see all projections and the full stage.

This was also my first Tommy experience of any kind.  I'm of age to have seen the film and/or the prior broadway show but didn't.  The album was a fave of my late husband so I was excited to go in memory of him.

I found it very uneven overall ... some I loved and some not so much. 

The couple next to me laughed out loud at the gun scene early on and blamed poor acting.

I agree that the lead in the first half was unintelligible.  The second half was fine, so I don't know if it was a choice to subdue his words technically or not. Overall, he did a great job and his mini mes had a lot of love from the crowd.

I was completely underwhelmed by the Acid Queen scene. Christina Sajous has a great voice, but the scene was either poorly staged, poorly acted or both. It definitely needed more.

I read a review of the Chicago outing (i think it was Chicago?) and they had pinball machines in the lobby for show goers to play ... Wish we had that kind of space to do something like that.  

WiCkEDrOcKS said: "Overall (this was my first live exposure to TOMMY), I enjoyed this quite a bit, but I do have to say something was up with the lead's mic last night (or his diction, honestly)? I could understand everyone else very clearly, but about 65% of his lyrics were lost, which...was unfortunate.

And I did miss the actual physical pinball machine from the original production (thank you, YouTube). Would'v also loved more physical set pieces. Other than that, it's a bit of a rehash of the original production in almost every aspect, it seems, but overall, it's wildly entertaining. I'd love to see Bobby Conte get a Tony nomination - he was so great in COMPANY and was a standout for me in this as well.
"

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#111THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 1:38pm

Today’s matinee has been cancelled due to illness in the cast; the evening performance is still on as of now. 

Oh look, a bibu!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#112THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 3:19pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Today’s matinee has been cancelled due to illness in the cast; the evening performance is still on as of now."

They were doing a put-in instead of having the matinee. Two of the leads are out sick and their understudies will be making their debuts tonight.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#113THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 3:36pm

ACL2006 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Today’s matinee has been cancelled due to illness in the cast; the evening performance is still on as of now."

They were doing a put-in instead of having the matinee. Two of the leads are out sick and their understudies will be making their debuts tonight.
"

Which leads? I’m going tonight 

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#114THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 4:05pm

quizking101 said: "ACL2006 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Today’s matinee has been cancelled due to illness in the cast; the evening performance is still on as of now."

"

Which leads? I’m going tonight
"

No clue. My friend that was supposed to see the matinee said he heard the band/orchestra on and off while he was waiting in the lobby to exchange his tickets. An usher also said they had two leads out sick which is why the matinee was cancelled.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

berniesb!tch
#115THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 4:54pm

I saw this Monday night. I am also mixed leaning more positive. 

The good: The Cast, the music, the overall vibe of the show is cool. This was my first ever rock opera so it was refreshing to see onstage compared to a lot of the things I have seen recently. Adam Jacobs was fantastic. I also enjoyed Bobby Conte, but maybe that's because I have no reference to the show besides this viewing. 

The Bad: THE SET - all I need to say. I felt at times it was a lot more unintentionally campy than it was supposed to be. I laughed several times in the beginning at things I know I was not supposed to be laughing at (not the Uncle/babysitter stuff to be clear). I also had a hard time following the second half of the show - but that may have been the edible and tequila soda getting to me. 

I thought about Here Lies Love a lot (a flawed show but my favorite of the season so far). Written by an 80s rock group (or at least I assume 80s), entirely sung through, and while yes it has a plot - is much more of a vibe centric show. I think this show needed to be more immersive, or at least in the round to really click for me. If you love this show, I get it. If you hate this show, I get it. If you are confused by this show - me too!!

I'm glad I saw, but I don't need to see it again unless it was free. My friend (another regular theatre goer) however was enthralled by the show and said she can't wait to return.

quizking101
#116THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 6:44pm

Adam Jacobs and Christina Sajous are out. 

David Paul Kidder and Afra Hines are on as Captain Walker and Acid Queen

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#117THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 7:58pm

quizking101 said: "Adam Jacobs and Christina Sajous are out.

David Paul Kidder and Afra Hines are on as Captain Walker and Acid Queen
"

And Hines plus the three other swings are on tonight, too.

PipingHotPiccolo
#118THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 10:36pm

Not sure what to make of this. First time exposure to the show- i remember being a small kid and hearing about this cool "rock musical" by the Who, and it feels like since then the novelty of rock+opera+broadway has maybe worn off a bit? Not trying to take away from the revolutionary nature of this piece but it didnt really do much for me. 

This is a very sleek production-- lots of silver bright lines and some impressive tight choreography. But its a bare-set-minimal-presentation sorta thing, and its pretty to look at, but with such an involved story, I kinda found myself having to guess what they were going for a bit too much. It feels like this is geared towards the people (and there were plenty there tonight) who are revisiting a classic and appreciating the new sleek spin on it. Im just not that guy. 

One of the strangest parts to me was the role of Tommy-- Ali Bourzgi has an INCREDIBLE vocal tone and sings with real power/charisma. But am I nuts or is he a small supporting character in Act 1? I kept waiting for him to break out and show us Who Tommy Is (or Why He Is The Lead) but it didnt happen. Act 1 ends with a very strange Acid Queen visit, that is staged kinda underwhelmingly (they go to her, she suggests she can seduce/enlighten the boy, but then.... they leave her to herself?), and then we head into the big event- Pinball Wizard--which is a blast! but is again, Tommy free. This absence of Tommy-ness created too big a hole for Tommy to be able to fill in Act 2. And the score gets blander and more repetitive in Act 2, also, so i just felt underwhelmed.

The mezzanine was not full, and I actually thought the crowd was restless/bored a bit, but at the end of Act 2, in what i thought was a rather unremarkable moment, the cast stepped to the lip of the stage, and the audience LEAPT TO THEIR FEET applauding and screaming, so I was definitely in the minority in my bewilderment. 

It wasnt all bad. I could listen to Bourzgi forever and hes giving a riveting, focused, performance. Production just seems to drown his character out a bit. I thought the only other interesting character (ie funny, exciting) was Bobby Conte's Cousin Kevin-- he sounds great, and I couldnt help but wonder where those powerful belts and vocals were in his Company solo. He was definitely a highlight tonight. (Shoutout also to Sheldon Henry whose voice snapped me to attention). 

Des MacAnuff gave a self-indulgent speech to kick things off, but gave a nice shoutout/warning re the actors taking on roles on barely any notice. David Paul Kidder pulled it off subbing for Adam Jacobs, and if he missed any cues or lines, I didnt notice it. I thought both Captian and Mrs Walker were pretty thankless roles though. More kudos to Afra Hines, who looking at her bio I must have seen in the ensemble of 4-5 shows, a real pro, proving her worth and stepping into Acid Queen with total ease. Its a mess of a scene, but its tricky movement and some real singing, and I dont think you would have ever known it was her first night, let alone with minimal rehearsal. 

quizking101
#119THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/21/24 at 6:43am

I echo most of the sentiment of the previous post. I did find myself lost a few times because the minimalism doesn’t help keep the involved story on track sometimes.

Ali Bourgzi is currently my personal front runner for the Tony. The man has a set of pipes on him that could blow the roof off the Nederlander and had the charisma to match when he is portraying the thoughts of Tommy’s “locked in” self. 

“Pinball Wizard” was a highlight for sure (and probably their Tony number), but also “I’m Free” gave Ali a chance to really show off his rock vocal range and “Smash That Mirror” gave Alison Luff the same opportunity. Bobby Conte also has a nice meaty supporting role and I could see him in an awards race too.

David Paul Kidder did a fantastic job as Captain Walker given his extremely limited rehearsal, but also AFRA HINES WAS FANTASTIC. She was giving something between Nicole Scherzinger and Tina Turner and, as I’ve told others, you never would have guessed that she had 2 hours of rehearsal. At the stage door, the entire line was screaming for both of them and David was tearing up.

Final Note: I have never, in seeing nearly 300 shows in my life - experienced a standing ovation before the finale number was over. That was an electric moment 

Broadway61004
#120THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/21/24 at 8:17am

PipingHotPiccolo said: "One of the strangest parts to me was the role of Tommy-- Ali Bourzgi has an INCREDIBLE vocal tone and sings with real power/charisma. But am I nuts or is he a small supporting character in Act 1? I kept waiting for him to break out and show us Who Tommy Is (or Why He Is The Lead) but it didnt happen."

Tommy really is a supporting role. From a Tony perspective, thinking back to the original, Michael Cerveris was up for featured, not leading. Which given the time probably had more to do with billing than the role itself, but also was appropriate. It's a real ensemble piece, Tommy included, with no one really a lead in the traditional sense. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#121THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/21/24 at 10:03am

quizking101 said: "I echo most of the sentiment of the previous post. I did find myself lost a few times because the minimalism doesn’t help keep the involved story on track sometimes.

Ali Bourgzi is currently my personal front runner for the Tony. The man has a set of pipes on him that could blow the roof off the Nederlander and had the charisma to match when he is portraying the thoughts of Tommy’s “locked in” self.

“Pinball Wizard” was a highlight for sure (and probably their Tony number), but also “I’m Free” gave Ali a chance to really show off his rock vocal range and “Smash That Mirror” gave Alison Luff the same opportunity. Bobby Conte also has a nice meaty supporting role and I could see him in an awards race too.

David Paul Kidder did a fantastic job as Captain Walker given his extremely limited rehearsal, but also AFRA HINES WAS FANTASTIC. She was giving something between Nicole Scherzinger and Tina Turner and, as I’ve told others, you never would have guessed that she had 2 hours of rehearsal. At the stage door, the entire line was screaming for both of them and David was tearing up.

Final Note: Ihave never, in seeing nearly 300 shows in my life - experienced a standing ovation before the finale number was over. That was an electric moment
"

But did it feel earned? The show doesnt allow for many traditional applause moments, so maybe i misjudged, but it just felt messy and the audience felt mostly muted except for a few obvious Tommy-heads who were rocking along to a score they already knew. The standing ovation/burst of appreciation came out of left field for my group, we thought it was "planted" at first. And it came at such an odd time- the actors were still singing, in a pretty boringly staged moment? 

Always glad others are enjoying what eludes me. 

quizking101
#122THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/21/24 at 10:21am

PipingHotPiccolo said: "quizking101 said: "I echo most of the sentiment of the previous post. I did find myself lost a few times because the minimalism doesn’t help keep the involved story on track sometimes.

Final Note: Ihave never, in seeing nearly 300 shows in my life - experienced a standing ovation before the finale number was over. That was an electric moment
"

But did it feel earned? The show doesnt allow for many traditional applause moments, so maybe i misjudged, but it just felt messy and the audience felt mostly muted except for a few obvious Tommy-heads who were rocking along to a score they already knew. The standing ovation/burst of appreciation came out of left field for my group, we thought it was "planted" at first. And it came at such an odd time- the actors were still singing, in a pretty boringly staged moment?

"

I think it was earned. The group near me seemed anxious to applaud and was glad to have that release. I know I did.

rachelfran
#123THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/21/24 at 10:50am

"

I'm with you -- definitely felt strange -- I rolled my eyes because at or near the end of every show I've been to in the last 10 years there is a standing ovation at the end &  it's lost all meaning and especially with music you know - like mama mia (back in the day) or &juliet - everyone is on their feet and singing and applauding.  

As you said - there are no breaks in this show .. it's nonstop and people need a release of some kind, for better or worse.

Mitch101
#124THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/22/24 at 7:41am

My friend and I used that forced standing ovation to make an easy and fast exit. This was such a disaster. If anyone can prove the “In the future” concept works I will eat my hat. The evening felt like a director had decided to fire his original collaborators to prove to the world the original success (and awe) was all because of him. What this revival proved is that is not the case. Bring back Bob Crowley!

Videos