pixeltracker

CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments

CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments

BETTY22
#1CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 10:00am

New York Times 2019 - The writer Nicholas Sparks, whose string of best-selling novels-turned-films includes “The Notebook,” apologized Monday for comments he made in 2013 that appeared to express hostility toward homosexuality and to oppose the creation of a club for gay students at a prep school he founded in North Carolina.

Additionally - among other allegations, complaint's says the best-selling author sought to block the recruitment of black students and teacher

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#2CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 11:32am

Which should surprise exactly zero people.  CBS Sunday Morning, 60 Minutes, etc. are staffed by zombie "journalists" like Leslie Stahl and others who are far removed from the reality of current affairs. Let's gloss over everything and pretend that we are not living in Hell.  Kind of like Broadway.

uncamark
#3CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 2:16pm

That was eleven years ago, Sparks apologized and he is not directly involved in the show. WHO CARES?

Broadway61004
#4CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 2:42pm

You're kidding me. You mean this morning, in an interview about something completely different, they didn't ask him about comments he made 11 years ago which he has already addressed? How shocking.

Updated On: 3/17/24 at 02:42 PM

JSquared2
#5CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 2:47pm

OMG -- you mean 11 years ago he may or may not have said some things that may or may not have unintentionally offended a few people that he has ALREADY APOLOGIZED FOR?  

GET HIM!!

The Future of Angry Mobs and the End of Pitchforks |

Updated On: 3/17/24 at 02:47 PM

two ladies tickets
#6CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 2:50pm

While Sparks may not directly be involved in this production he does receive a big fat royalty check every week for the use of his source material. And while he has apologized for those comments that he made, or rather, he was made to apologize for those comments, there are some people that will not be attending the show because of those comments. If you don't want Nicholas Sparks to get any of your money, then don't buy a ticket. 

JSquared2
#7CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 2:52pm

two ladies tickets said: "While Sparks may not directly be involved in this production he does receive a big fat royalty check every week for the use of his source material. And while he has apologized for those comments that he made, or rather, he was made to apologize for those comments, there are some people that will not be attending the show because of those comments. If you don't want Nicholas Sparks to get any of your money, then don't buy a ticket."

And this is why the far left is (almost) as bad as the far right.

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#8CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 2:53pm

BETTY22 said: "New York Times 2019 - The writer Nicholas Sparks, whose string of best-selling novels-turned-films includes “The Notebook,” apologized Monday for comments he made in 2013 that appeared to express hostility toward homosexuality and to oppose the creation of a club for gay students at a prep school he founded in North Carolina.

Additionally - among other allegations,complaint's says the best-selling author sought to block the recruitment of black students and teacher
"

Move on.  

Non sibi sed patriae

Broadway61004
#9CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 3:08pm

two ladies tickets said: "While Sparks may not directly be involved in this production he does receive a big fat royalty check every week for the use of his source material. And while he has apologized for those comments that he made, or rather, he was made to apologize for those comments, there are some people that will not be attending the show because of those comments. If you don't want Nicholas Sparks to get any of your money, then don't buy a ticket."

So to be clear, those folks won't be attending Suffs either, correct? Because Hilary Clinton is a producer and will get money from it. And 20 years ago she voted against gay marriage, so she should be cancelled, right?

two ladies tickets
#10CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 3:13pm

Broadway61004 said: "two ladies tickets said: "While Sparks may not directly be involved in this production he does receive a big fat royalty check every week for the use of his source material. And while he has apologized for those comments that he made, or rather, he was made to apologize for those comments, there are some people that will not be attending the show because of those comments. If you don't want Nicholas Sparks to get any of your money, then don't buy a ticket."

So to be clear, those folks won't be attending Suffs either, correct? Because Hilary Clinton is a producer and will get money from it. And 20 years ago she voted against gay marriage, so she should be cancelled, right?
"

Exactly. Many years ago, Bette Midler went on Larry King and said she wasn't sure if gay couples should have the right to legally get married and I know many gay people who stopped listening to her music immediately. It's all subjective. That's the point I was trying to make. Go back and reread the last line of my post. If you don't want Nicholas Sparks to have any of your money, then don't buy a ticket. No one is forcing anybody to go see anything. 

Updated On: 3/17/24 at 03:13 PM

BETTY22
#11CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 3:16pm

Although, the point out that none of Sparks over 20 romance novels have ever including a person of color as a lead character. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#12CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 3:24pm

Sparks is a known commodity and we all know his work is generally white and leans conservative. I doubt many people walking into The Notebook are unaware of this. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

JSquared2
#13CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 3:48pm

BETTY22 said: "Although, the point out that none of Sparks over 20 romance novels have ever including a person of color as a lead character."

I have no idea if that is true or not -- but even if it is, let's say his next book is about a black couple.  The internet will be outraged that a white male had the nerve to write from the perspective of a black person.

And now that this thread has gone totally off the rails, hopefully the mods will delete it.

BETTY22
#14CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 4:28pm

JSquared2 said: "And now that this thread has gone totally off the rails, hopefully the mods will delete it."

Don't be frightened of difficult conversations. Deleting them doesn't make them go away.

Although, it did make me laugh that you suggest removing the thread after YOU had the last word.........

PipingHotPiccolo
#15CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 4:55pm

this not a difficult conversation.

Sparks apparently said bad stuff 13 years ago. He apologized. Some people dont accept that apology (their right, just as much as he has the right to say objectionable stuff) and wont see the show. This is a tiny number of people who seem to live in a very phony perennially-outraged universe, but fine, who cares. Unlike in an election, these sorts of people move zero needles. 

But THIS thread is not about them, its about demanding that CBS Sunday Morning adopt their viewpoint, which is an even more outrageous extension of the cancel-fever sweeping the extreme right and left. 

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#16CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 5:44pm

I reserve the right to criticize the news media, as well as anyone else in the public sphere.  Why are you trying to silence people with your ridiculous claims of "cancel culture"?  It's always when unpopular minorities speak up about something that we hear that tired dog whistle.  No one here said anything about cancelling or demanding anything, unlike the over 4,000 book titles that are currently being targeted for banning nationwide - a four fold increase over just a couple of years ago.  But hey, where is your reaction against that?  *crickets*

sinister teashop Profile Photo
sinister teashop
#17CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 6:17pm

This musical sounds like my idea of hell but someone else's idea of profits. Is it too late to invest in this shameless steaming pile of crypto-Christian schmaltz? I want that money!

uncamark
#18CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 6:22pm

What makes you think we're in favor of book burning? WE AREN'T!  I don't watch Fox News, but I don't listen to the Amy Monotone show either.

uncamark
#19CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 6:25pm

And you've actually seen the show? Or are you just a typical Upper West Side elitist snob?

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
MasterThespian 2
#21CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 8:02pm

The perpetually and easily offended are at it again. Must be exhausting to be that annoying.

verywellthensigh
#22CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 9:21pm

WE MUST RUSH TO DEFEND THE HONOR OF LITERARY GENIUS NICHOLAS SPARKS!!!

PipingHotPiccolo
#23CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 9:22pm

Impeach2017 said: "I reserve the right to criticize the news media, as well as anyone else in the public sphere. Why are you trying to silence people withyour ridiculous claims of "cancel culture"? It's always when unpopular minorities speak up about something that we hear that tired dog whistle. No one here said anything about cancelling or demanding anything, unlike the over 4,000 book titlesthat are currently being targeted for banning nationwide - a four fold increase over just a couple of years ago. But hey, where is your reaction against that? *crickets*"

And we are back here again: you can criticize the media, and i can criticize you for criticizing the media, its a free country. I'm saying that criticizing CBS Sunday Morning for not forcing Nicholas Sparks to apologize again for something he already apologized for many years ago, is inherently silly. That doesnt mean I am challenging anyone's right to do anything, it just means I think you're wrong. 

and this upper west side elitist (close enough) did see the Notebook, kinda enjoyed it, so its anyones guess what that comment was about but the beat goes on.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#24CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/17/24 at 11:04pm

The internet was a mistake, as was this board. 

somecheapfrenchthing
#25CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments
Posted: 3/18/24 at 10:57am

Impeach2017 said: "I reserve the right to criticize the news media, as well as anyone else in the public sphere. Why are you trying to silence people withyour ridiculous claims of "cancel culture"? It's always when unpopular minorities speak up about something that we hear that tired dog whistle. No one here said anything about cancelling or demanding anything, unlike the over 4,000 book titlesthat are currently being targeted for banning nationwide - a four fold increase over just a couple of years ago. But hey, where is your reaction against that? *crickets*"

…No one threatened or even called into question your “right” to criticize the news media. No one is “silencing” you. Your “right” permits you to say what you want - it doesn’t protect you from people disagreeing, people responding in ways that upset you, or people perceiving your stance as cancel-adjacent. And as far as “where is [this person’s] reaction” to book banning? I don’t know, but probably not on a Broadway message board. Don’t see why you’d expect that outrage to surface here and therefore don’t feel the call-out warrants a “crickets”/mic drop button. 

Videos