THE WIZ Previews

BarnabyTucker Profile Photo
BarnabyTucker
#75THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/3/24 at 9:31pm

Dumb question: where DO I go to line up for rush at the Marquis? I actually don't know where the box office is. Is it inside the hotel? 

CJRochester
#76THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/3/24 at 9:56pm

BarnabyTucker said: "Dumb question: where DO I go to line up for rush at the Marquis? I actually don't know where the box office is. Is it inside the hotel?"

I believe the box office is on the 46th St. side, next to the underpass where cars pull up to hotel. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#77THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/3/24 at 11:18pm

i would love to know where the additional two million dollars went that was supposedly meant to beef up the production elements

also is wayne brady any good?

Zingingtobway
#78THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/5/24 at 11:50am

I wonder the same thing too... 

I saw it a few nights ago and I honestly want to see it again to see if any changes are implemented because they need to fix this show. Oy Vey!  While the talent onstage is immense, I feel like the creative team lacked vision and the laser sharp focus to really give this show the attention it needed. Where is the  Spectacle and the magic? It's Oz....  I saw Tommy last night and that staging and Theatre Magic makes The Wiz look like my kids Pre K play.

Wayne Brady does a fine job as "The Wiz" but there was nothing magical about his number or presence.. I was hoping for pyrotechnics, bells, whistles... Something.

There are also a few choices and or changes that I feel IMHO fails the show as whole.

For Example:

The Tornado scene- WHERE are the elements? No Strobe Lights, No Heavy Fog or Haze and the Choreography for this number was lack lustered and flat. Somebody call Debbie Allen Stat!

" He's The Wiz" why why why why why?? Did they take Addapearl's song away? The actress was hilarious, Her delivery in her scene work had me hooked in and then the song started and I was completely confused.. (I won't spoil what happens)

Choreography as a whole is just flat and they need more ensemble members onstage. They should have used some of that 2 million to augment the cast. 

I had such high hopes for this show, I have been waiting for it's Broadway return since I was a teenager and I am sadly disappointed at the moment. I hope to return when they have made some changes. The Choreography needs major help Especially the Tornado number and the Director needs to focus her lens. The win wins for me was the orchestration, arrangements and the fabulous display of vocals. One can only sit through dynamic singing for so long before they hunger for the rest of the meal. So I too am curious as to where the rest of the 2 Million dollars went. For sure it's not in the costumes or scenic elements.

There is nothing in the world better than Live Theater.

Mitch101
#79THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/5/24 at 11:55am

I won’t beat this dead horse, but your post is perfect. The show has such talent on stage, but the production team failed on all levels (except maybe the Emerald City vogue scene at the top of Act Two). 

Perhaps this will signal the end of the directing career for Shele Williams who butchered two beloved properties this season. (The Notebook is the other, featuring some of worst direction I’ve ever seen in any show)

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#80THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/5/24 at 11:57am

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "i would love to know where the additional two million dollars went that was supposedly meant to beef up the production elements"

Is there a source on the additional $2 mil?

Because that money could very well be covering financial overages that were incurred and have to be paid for somehow (be they physical production, marketing, fitting the tour set to a Broadway house, legal & management fees, or just creating a financial cushion). Saying that it's going to beef up the production elements is a good way to put a spin on an additional investment (assuming it's a priority loan, which puts the original investors at somewhat of a disadvantage for Broadway revenue).

I put my thoughts in another thread because I didn't see this one, but I really didn't like this at all.

BarnabyTucker
#81THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/6/24 at 11:32pm

I'm speechless.  I'll start with the good, because the good is GOOD.

It's an exceptional, hard working company that is putting their all out there (save two principals).  Nichelle Lewis and Melody Betts walk away with the show, and they are joined by a company that is working what they have been given to give Broadway worthy performances.  

The book revisions by Amber Ruffin are 10/10 and her one liners hit just as hard as they did in Some Like It Hot.  Sure, it's not dramatically interesting to follow the "meet a new friend, ease on down the yellow brick road to meet a new friend and ease on down the yellow brick road again" formula in Baum's story, but what more could she have done?  Her book is relevant to a 2024 audience and is oozing with heart and sentiment.

This company and material deserves a competent director and non-sleezy producers who can give them the first rate production they deserve. 

I am genuninely angry at myself for having spent $45 to watch 2+ hours of minimal staging in front of an LED wall.  In each scene a painted, flimsy flat would track out to remind us that there is no physical set.  No blending at all.  The great and powerful Wiz was presented to us through puffs of smoke coming from the pit.  Am I supposed to be dumbstruck by his greatness?

Speaking of his greatness, Wayne Brady is half asleep for the 10 minutes he's onstage.  I don't know if I necessarily blame him.  As is, is this a role that warrants a name?  Andre De Shields MADE a name for himself with this role, and Wayne Brady appears to be bothered he had to come up from his dressing room to make an appearance. 

The real insult of the night comes from Debrah Cox as Glinda/producer.  This is a clear vanity project.  They took away Adapearl's song from Act One to give Cox another song to sing.  Neither that nor the 11 o'clock number resonate with the audience.  She's no Dee Dee Bridgewater, Lena Horne, LaChanze, Uzo Aduba, or any of the great talents who have brought that number home. 

My heart actually goes out to Melody Betts who was pushed off to the far side of the stage at curtain call to make room for Deborah Cox and Wayne Brady.  Cox should be so lucky to have landed a talent like Betts in her bus and truck tour, and Betts should be featured more prominently at curtain call. 

Oh! And be sure to buy the cocktail at the bar that features Cox's own brand of wine.  She's milking this cash cow for all it's worth.  $$$

I cannot remember the last time I have been so frustrated.  The Wiz deserves better.  This company deserves better.  They have been let down by producers who have dragged these actors through the mud , and a director who has barely staged nevertheless directed this show.  

I cannot believe I dropped $45 on this and will be actively steering my friends away from seeing this.

Updated On: 4/6/24 at 11:32 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#82THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/6/24 at 11:46pm

BarnabyTucker said: "CC: their insta story posts shedding light on the abuse at the hands of the producers"

What's this? Any context to be shared here?

BarnabyTucker
#83THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/6/24 at 11:52pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "BarnabyTucker said: "CC: their insta story posts shedding light on the abuse at the hands of the producers"

What's this? Any context to be shared here?
"

I've edited this out of my post as I can no longer find the Insta story posts in question.  I remember a few weeks ago there were ensemble members posting Insta stories being posted about how they felt like they weren't being heard/being mistreated by the producers.  I'm looking through Reddit to see if anyone had kept the screenshots.

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#84THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/7/24 at 2:21pm

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#85THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/7/24 at 2:41pm

Those clips are messy. For such huge theatre and stage they sure look cramped on it. I’m screaming find the pitch.

Going Tuesday hopefully this is better live. I guess I will never see another Wiz revival in my lifetime. This doesn’t look like the one for me 

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#86THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/7/24 at 2:41pm

Watched that this morning as was in shock that they’d show that finale scene. The audience looks fully disinterested and there’s no choreography to highlight because it the after bows moments where they just bop along to the song. And Ruffian’s comment that’s something along the lines of “the show isn’t fool-proof, but if you want to like it, you will”? 😬 Really not selling the show.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#87THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/7/24 at 3:47pm

Wow, those costumes for the core quartet never fail to shock me with how amateurish they look. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 4/7/24 at 03:47 PM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#88THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/7/24 at 4:00pm

Nothing about this production shown during the segment on CBS Sunday Morning made me want to see this.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#89THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/7/24 at 5:19pm

I have only seen "clips" of this production from the tour. Changes may have been made but from what I saw and heard, I am not sure I will see this. But it is "The Wiz" so I also feel a bit compelled to see it!

Saw the original 3 times. From what I have seen and heard of this current production, I am not crazy about the arrangements and especially the tempo of a lot of the songs. For me, it feels like they have sucked the fun and excitement out of them. Not crazy about how they re-staged "Be A Lion". (Maybe it's changed) but that was one of the great moments in the show between Dorothy and the Lion. Adding in the scarecrow and tin man just took something away from it. There is more of a set but it looks a bit claustrophobic. The original had sparse sets and backdrops but from what I remember, they used the open stage during production numbers. 

I am wondering how the Tornado is done.(I think I read in this thread that video is used) That fabric tornado is still one of the coolest things I have seen in a show. Also sad that there is no Toto or Flying monkeys. Did they explain why there is no Toto? That final moment when he runs on stage after Home was wonderful. 

It sounds like the cast is vocally on point for the most part. Wasn't crazy about the bit we hear of "So You Wanted to Meet The Wizard". It just lacked the "fire" of the original and I seem to remember Mabel King moving all around the stage whipping that dress around during "...No Bad News". (But this was just a clip so maybe that happens outside of what is shown?)

For today's audiences, this production may be just fine. And I hope it does well because even with the things I didn't care for from what I have seen or heard, it is also one of my favorite scores and it is nice to see it is finally being introduced to a new generation who may not have been listening to the original cast recording but may know the  film Soundtrack. It looks like they put "You Can't Win" in this production. If It was me, I would remove that (Even though people know the song from the movie) and put in The Emerald City Sequence from the movie.  Just my random thoughts. 

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 4/11/24 at 05:19 PM

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#90THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/7/24 at 6:05pm

uncageg said: "… I am wondering how the Tornado is done.(I think I read in this thread that video is used) That fabric tornado is still one of the coolest things I have seen in a show …”

When the pre-Broadway tour played Chicago a few months ago, I remember a few ensemble members dressed in unflattering gray fabric. They were spinning around to and fro. It was maybe 3 dancers. Each was a mini tornado. Would should have been an exciting scene was reduced to “a choice”.

somecheapfrenchthing
#91THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/7/24 at 6:12pm

Mitch101 said: "I won’t beat this dead horse, but your post is perfect. The show has such talent on stage, but the production team failed on all levels (except maybe the Emerald City vogue scene at the top of Act Two).

Perhaps this will signal the end of the directing career for Shele Williams who butchered two beloved properties this season. (The Notebook is the other, featuring some of worst direction I’ve ever seen in any show)

She also butchered the overseas Aida revival. Despite all of this it seems the industry is determined, at all costs, to commit to the fantasy that she is a force to be reckoned with. She’s being honored with an excellence in directing award at the Drama League Awards this year. I *do not* get it. 

GottaGetAGimmick420
#92THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/7/24 at 6:59pm

somecheapfrenchthing said: "Mitch101 said: "I won’t beat this dead horse, but your post is perfect. The show has such talent on stage, but the production team failed on all levels (except maybe the Emerald City vogue scene at the top of Act Two).

She also butchered the overseas Aida revival. Despite all of thisit seems the industry is determined, at all costs, to commit to the fantasythat she is a force to be reckoned with. She’s being honored with an excellence in directing award atthe Drama League Awards this year. I *do not* get it.

"

Especially when there are other black female directors that are not only better talented but are better equipped for Broadway... Lili-Ann Brown, Patricia McGregor, Liesl Tommy, Lileana Blain-Cruz, Whitney White, JoAnne Hunter (not black but BIPOC) .. it's not like there is a lack of talented directors???

I'm just here so I don't get fined

somecheapfrenchthing
#93THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/7/24 at 7:08pm

Especially when there are other black femaledirectors that are not only better talented but are better equipped for Broadway... Lili-Ann Brown, Patricia McGregor, Liesl Tommy, Lileana Blain-Cruz, Whitney White, JoAnne Hunter (not black but BIPOC) .. it's not like there is a lack of talented directors???"

THANK YOU. Completely agree. Don't even have anything to add but "quoting" to second and for emphasis haha. 

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#94THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/7/24 at 7:13pm

I haven't seen this but just watched the This Morning clips. Yikes, it's just so amateur looking. I've seen high school productions of The Wiz with more inspired design elements (though HS productions of The Wiz are usually problematic in their own way haha)

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#95THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/7/24 at 7:47pm

Williams must have amazing connections because she has had absolutely no notable directing credits that would launch her career like this. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#96THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/7/24 at 10:01pm

Ok, are the digital screen sets frustrating? Sure. I really dont get some of the designs in them because the perspective is all off. And do the minimal physical set pieces make it look like a cheap tour? Sure. 

BUT. Y'all this cast is on FIRE. The main quartet is just pure magic, delivering some of the fiercest vocals on Broadway right now. I do wish the production itself was more lavish, but I had a ball and would buy tickets to see these actors again in a heartbeat. Nichelle Lewis is a star with an incredible command of her instrument. Sometimes all you need is a dynamite, engaging performer singing to the heavens. She really did it for me. 

The really weak link is the choreo. There are moments that are divine (the Act 2 opener, Emerald City ball is an awesome showstopper) but then most of the time it just falls flat despite the ensemble dancers working their hardest (I mean...what on EARTH is the tornado sequence? Just a whole lot of NOTHING going on in that scene, it was bizarre). I think really strong choreography would have helped distract from the minimal production.

Still, the cast is A+. I'm still sitting here reliving the vocal performances I just heard because they were heavenly. And honestly want to go again just to experience that singing. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#97THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/7/24 at 10:27pm

That act two opener was the most budget cruise line thing in the whole show, I thought. 

Wayman_Wong
#98THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/7/24 at 10:41pm

'CBS Sunday Morning': 'The Wiz' eases on down to Broadway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrmxzuqc3to&t=11s

BdwyFan
#99THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/8/24 at 12:21am

Was there again last night because visiting friends wanted to see the show.  Just gotta say - This show is a real crowd pleaser, most of whom have probably never seen the original like you all, so nothing to compare it to.  A packed house. So I think this one’s gonna do well.  The cast is truly on fire. Those voices!  A good time had by all. Smiles all the way! 

Latest Posts