News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago

Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
Posted: 4/9/24 at 1:09pm

I have a strong feeling that this, The Hunger GamesStranger Things, and Harry Potter will all be on Broadway at the same time a few years from now. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Rentaholic2
#3Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
Posted: 4/9/24 at 2:54pm

Very excited for this magnificent score to make its US debut.  I hope its a hit and transfers to Broadway.  

jimmycurry01
#4Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
Posted: 4/9/24 at 6:36pm

I wasted no time in buying tickets for opening night. I'm looking forward to this.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#5Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
Posted: 4/10/24 at 10:23am

How much is this revival cut down or rewritten from the four-hour original?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#6Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
Posted: 4/10/24 at 10:24am

How immersive? That space is super flexible so curious to see how they use it. 

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#8Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
Posted: 6/8/24 at 5:30pm

It doesn't LOOK immersive at all. At least from the very standard proscenium seating chart. I suppose they could still have the audience start in an alternative location... but I'm not sure where they would do that? 

Jesus saves. I spend.

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#9Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
Posted: 6/8/24 at 7:43pm

Has there been any news about the international tour dates and locations? Those details were/are theoretically to be announced in June; I haven't seen an announcement as yet.

Updated On: 6/8/24 at 07:43 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#10Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
Posted: 6/8/24 at 8:00pm

KJisgroovy said: "It doesn't LOOK immersive at all. At least from the very standard proscenium seating chart. I suppose they could still have the audience start in an alternative location... but I'm not sure where they would do that?"

For all the hoopla of the space being flexible and whatnot, I've never seen a show there that didn't use just a traditional proscenium staging. 

Alex Kulak2
#11Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
Posted: 6/8/24 at 8:02pm

KevinKlawitter said: "Casting announced "

This cast is great, very young, very Chicago. I personally know 3 people in it, so I'm excited to check it out.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#12Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
Posted: 6/8/24 at 8:48pm

Interesting that Gollum isn’t listed. I wonder if that’s the “special guest performer” role that will have some larger industry clout.

KevinKlawitter
#13Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
Posted: 6/8/24 at 8:51pm

darquegk said: "Interesting that Gollum isn’t listed. I wonder if that’s the “special guest performer” role that will have some larger industry clout."

My dream casting? Ethan Slater. 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#14Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
Posted: 6/8/24 at 9:37pm

If they said “pick someone interesting but not A list,” I’d say cabaret host PJ Adzima. He was in my Off-Bway show in 2016.

AEA AGMA SM
#15Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
Posted: 6/8/24 at 9:45pm

darquegk said: "Interesting that Gollum isn’t listed. I wonder if that’s the “special guest performer” role that will have some larger industry clout."

Their website lists Tony Bozzuto as playing Gollum

https://www.chicagoshakes.com/productions/the-lord-of-the-rings/

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#17Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
Posted: 6/27/24 at 10:06am

Does this have broadway in their sights?  It’s looks like it’s gonna be great!

verywellthensigh
CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#19Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
Posted: 6/27/24 at 2:28pm

Broadway Flash said: “Does this have broadway in their sights? It’s looks like it’s gonna be great!

If the first part is still staged outdoors I’m not sure which Broadway theatre if any would allow for that. Unless they ultimately plan to restage it all indoors.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#20Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
Posted: 6/27/24 at 2:46pm

There's no indication this is being staged anywhere except in the theater. The director even comments that the hobbits will be in the theater when you enter. It appears they've restaged this conventionally.

Jesus saves. I spend.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#21Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
Posted: 6/27/24 at 2:47pm

I’m curious too how immersive any of it is. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#22Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
Posted: 6/27/24 at 3:19pm

verywellthensigh said: "More immersive theater. Yay."

Of the dozens of shows that opened on Broadway this last season how many were “immersive”? Two? For those complaining about immersive theatre, just don’t go. There are plenty of other options.

jimmycurry01
#23Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
Posted: 6/29/24 at 7:33pm

KJisgroovy said: "There's no indication this is being staged anywhere except in the theater. The director even comments that the hobbits will be in the theater when you enter. It appears they've restaged this conventionally."

There is no space at Navy Pier for them to do the outdoor section the way they did at Watermill. There is no green space at all, and it is packed to the brim with people. This particular space is more flexible than Chicago Shakes main theatre, so it might lend itself to something a bit more immersive, but I believe you are right in thinking this will be pretty conventional compared to choices that were made at Watermill. 

willsofadream
#25Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
Posted: 7/19/24 at 5:11pm

Seeing this tonight. Very excited!

Latest Posts

Videos