pixeltracker

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews- Page 2

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#25CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 4/21/24 at 9:46pm

There’s no way Feldman can be seen as mixed with lines like “I made an active effort to lower my expectations before seeing the latest version of Cabaret. But my lowered expectations failed. They weren’t low enough.”

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#26CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 4/21/24 at 9:46pm

Even in an unpredictable musical season, I did NOT see this coming. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Fordham2015
#28CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 4/21/24 at 9:47pm

The only thing that excited me about this revival was Bebe Neuwirth. It seems I was correct.

MemorableUserName
#29CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 4/21/24 at 9:47pm

The Wrap is negative:

‘Cabaret’ Broadway Review: Eddie Redmayne Twists the Emcee Into a Rancid Pretzel

The Oscar-winning actor headlines a new, conflicted revival of the legendary musical

https://www.thewrap.com/cabaret-broadway-review-eddie-redmayne-twists-the-emcee-into-a-rancid-pretzel/

MemorableUserName
#30CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 4/21/24 at 9:48pm

Village Voice:

Review: ‘Cabaret at the Kit Kat Club’ Works Too Hard But Finds Its Way

Screamed lyrics and exaggerated gestures evolve into poignancy and power.

https://www.villagevoice.com/review-cabaret-at-the-kit-kat-club-works-too-hard-but-finds-its-way/

MemorableUserName
#31CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 4/21/24 at 9:50pm

Deadline is mixed

"Still, the vision never really coalesces in the way that Daniel Fish managed with that spooky, sexy Oklahoma a few years back. The promise of an overwhelming theatrical event just never quite makes good on itself, certainly not with Rankin’s teary, intentionally overwrought delivery of the title song. We get it. Sally isn’t meant to be a big star. I’d still rather hear Liza."

https://deadline.com/feature/broadway-show-reviews-spring-2024-1235866317/

Jordan Catalano
#32CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 4/21/24 at 9:53pm

I’m not a gambling man but I would have put money on critics falling over themselves to match the London critics. 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#33CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews

These are really bad reviews.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

MemorableUserName
#34CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews

Theatrely is positive

A New CABARET For The Ages On Broadway — Review

https://www.theatrely.com/post/a-new-cabaret-for-the-ages-on-broadway-review

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#35CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 4/21/24 at 9:54pm

I had a gut feeling this wouldn’t be as warmly received here as it was in London, but I was thinking more like politely mixed reviews… not these. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#36CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 4/21/24 at 9:56pm

Wow, was I not expecting this! WTF??? Well, I hope this production can prove to be critic-proof. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

MemorableUserName
MemorableUserName
#38CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 4/21/24 at 9:58pm

NY Sun:

Were the Bob Fosse and Sam Mendes Versions of ‘Cabaret’ Not Sufficiently Over-the-Top?

The glorious score notwithstanding, ‘Cabaret at the Kit Kat Club,’ as director Rebecca Frecknall’s immersive production has been named, is most compelling when the characters stop singing and dancing.

https://www.nysun.com/article/were-the-bob-fosse-and-sam-mendes-versions-of-cabaret-not-sufficiently-over-the-top

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#39CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 4/21/24 at 9:59pm

After disliking Stereophonic and reading raves, I thought I was crazy. These have made me feel better about my own mixed reaction to Cabaret, although making me feel better doesn’t do a whole lot for the cast and crew over at the Kit Kat Club. Man, I feel for them right now because I know there was a lot of love (and money!) in this production.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#40CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 4/21/24 at 10:00pm

So.. can Broadway now be done with the immersive crap?

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#41CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 4/21/24 at 10:01pm

MemorableUserName said: "Jesse Green in NYT is mixed.

‘Cabaret’ Review: What Good Is Screaming Alone in Your Room?

Eddie Redmayne and Gayle Rankin star in a buzzy Broadway revival that rips the skin off the 1966 musical.

Gift link:https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/21/theater/cabaret-review-eddie-redmayne.html?unlocked_article_code=1.mU0.0_jF.0o2OLJGYMSzg&smid=url-share
"

Rankin’s “Maybe This Time,” with no slathered-on histrionics, is riveting. It turns out she can properly sing.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#42CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 4/21/24 at 10:03pm

DAME said: "So.. can Broadway now be done with the immersive crap?"

Why?

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#43CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 4/21/24 at 10:04pm

AMEN!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#44CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 4/21/24 at 10:04pm

Well, if nothing else, reviews this season have kept us on our toes!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

MemorableUserName
#45CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 4/21/24 at 10:05pm

Love this from Feldman's review. It's dead-on.

"Redmayne’s waxy Emcee doesn’t register as a character at all. He’s all maleficent posturing—hunched into a question mark like some medieval demon—and he’s used that way, as a blunt recurring symbol for the rise of the Nazis. (The production has him sing the pastoral Nazi mock-anthem “Tomorrow Belongs to Me” halfway through Act I.) 

The theory seems to be that increasing the Emcee’s power exponentially will make him more exciting: that energy, if you will, is equal to Emcee squared. But it merely makes him less interesting. Costumed by Scutt in a variety of outlandish get-ups—as some kind of demented Katzenjammer Kid, as a skeletal horseman-of-the-apocalypse type, as a creepy clown—he is never not creepy; he should attract us, at least for a while, but he’s repellent all along. "

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#46CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 4/21/24 at 10:06pm

DTLI Consensus: Dark, sleek, and immersive, Cabaret is back on Broadway — and we don’t care much for it.

6 mixed (including the NYT), 4 positive, 4 negative. 

https://didtheylikeit.com/shows/cabaret-at-the-kit-kat-club/

Oh look, a bibu!

Jordan Catalano
#47CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 4/21/24 at 10:06pm

dramamama611 said: "Well, if nothing else, reviews this season have kept us on our toes!"

That’s the truth!! If you’d have told me 48 hours ago that Hells Kitchen would get SUBSTANTIALLY better reviews than Cabaret, I wouldn’t have believed you. 

MemorableUserName
#48CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 4/21/24 at 10:09pm

I guess the Daily Beast is back reviewing

Eddie Redmayne Excels as the Emcee in a Boozy Broadway ‘Cabaret’

https://www.thedailybeast.com/eddie-redmayne-excels-as-the-emcee-in-a-boozy-broadway-cabaret

Azúcar!
#49CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 4/21/24 at 10:10pm

THIS!