pixeltracker

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024- Page 6

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024

SisterGeorge
#125The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 1:36pm

So relieved and happy that finally we don't have to be pissed off by a Daniel Radcliffe snub.

With all the women directors nominated, perhaps we will be spared the misogyny and sexism accusations over the Frecknall snub.

I think I remember a Gatsby review mentioning major tech snafus during a press preview. I wonder if it might have landed one or two more tech noms that not been the case?

I so wanted a few more for Illinoise (and I'm not even seeing it until June).

I'm not totally sold on Outsiders or Suffs, but I have one slot open for my June trip and using Tonys as my guide I guess I should choose one of those? Or Mother Play? I''m leaning toward Suffs, but maybe I should take a hike and go see Cats. (Stereophonic, Enemy, Illinoise, Tommy, Appropriate already booked.)

Sister George

starlightlocamotion
#126The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 1:36pm

This has got to be the most exciting race for BEST MUSICAL in over a decade. 

MadsonMelo
#127The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 1:38pm

Actors that got acting noms today that have two or more acting noms overall:

1. Kelli O'Hara - 8
2. Celia Keenan-Bolger - 5
2. Brian d'Arcy James - 5
3. Liev Schreiber - 4

Bebe Neuwirth - 3
Amy Ryan - 3
Jonathan Groff - 3
Roger Bart - 3
Brandon Victor Dixon - 3
Leslie Odom, Jr. - 2
Jessica Lange - 2
Maryann Plunkett - 2
Eddie Redmayne - 2
Lindsay Mendez - 2
Nikki M. James - 2
Shoshana Bean - 2

Wow for Celia!

chrishuyen
#128The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 2:16pm

Question about the Merrily orchestrations, I understand Tunick was eligible for the reworked orchestrations from 1994, so I guess there's no "classics rule" for orchestrations?  But also in that case shouldn't the reworked book for Merrily also be eligible?  Is this just another case of "the Tony administration does what they want"?

jagman106
#129The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 2:22pm

I'm seeing Cabaret tonight, so I'm happy the show got a decent number of nominations because the case might be pumped. I was thinking the energy might not be as high had the show done poorly with nominations (Yes, I know they are professionals and would make every effort to give a wonderful performance).

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#130The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 2:28pm

chrishuyen said: "Question about the Merrily orchestrations, I understand Tunick was eligible for the reworked orchestrations from 1994, so I guess there's no "classics rule" for orchestrations? But also in that case shouldn't the reworked book for Merrily also be eligible? Is this just another case of "the Tony administration does what they want"?"

Tunick has actually been nominated several times for re-orchestrating his original works, including FOLLIES (2001), NINE, PACIFIC OVERTURES, and PROMISES PROMISES. All had a smaller orchestration than the original, like MERRILY, so it's not the exact orchestration from Encores, or the York, or the Original. Was Encores the first major production of MERRILY to have violins & violas in the orchestration?

As for the book, I've always been curious about how much of the rewrite is Furth vs Sondheim vs Lapine (who directed it at LaJolla and Encores, and got an "adaptation" credit at Encores) vs Susan Schulman (who directed it at the York) vs Maria Friedman. Are there any major book changes from the York version to the Encores version to the current version? Furth gets sole credit on this revival, as he did on COMPANY (despite the show being reworked after his death). It may be that lack of a living bookwriter or credited book-adapter means the book is ineligible for a revival.

Updated On: 4/30/24 at 02:28 PM

bryan32
#131The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 2:38pm

see it was just the spring season that got all the noms that is not fair

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#132The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 2:41pm

Aside from the obvious, Back to the future. I’ll be curious to know which nominated musical will announce a national tour first.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

MezzA101
#133The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 2:43pm

NYTimes: Daniel Radcliffe on Breaking the Spell With His First Tony Nomination https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/30/theater/merrily-we-roll-along-daniel-radcliffe.html?unlocked_article_code=1.oU0.TIAA.qXOoiIRDrD1d

MezzA101
#134The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 2:50pm

NYTimes: Tony Nominations Snubs and Surprises: Steve Carell and ‘The Wiz’ Miss Out https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/30/theater/tony-nominations-snubs-surprises.html?unlocked_article_code=1.oU0.LJp6.HMSX-NHUJAI5

MezzA101
#135The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 2:56pm

2024 Tony Award nominees react: Jessica Lange, Jeremy Strong, Eddie Redmayne, and more | New York Theatre Guide https://www.newyorktheatreguide.com/theatre-news/news/2024-tony-award-nominees-react-jessica-lange-eddie-redmayne-and-more

MezzA101
#136The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 2:57pm

Tony Awards 2024 Nominations Snubs, Surprises: Steve Carell, The Wiz https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/arts/tony-awards-2024-nominations-snubs-surprises-1235886813/

KarenValentine'sheadband
#137The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 3:01pm

berniesb!tch said: "Hell's Kitchen leading the musical noms is so disappointing, one of my least favorite shows this season/ever. 

Agree. It's just weird. The lead deserves the win but everything else? No way. The book is just lazy. 

Jeff Tupolski Profile Photo
Jeff Tupolski
#138The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 3:12pm

Going along with that article, it’s interesting to think with William Jackson Harper recognized over Steve Carell, Astrov is now Uncle Vanya’s most Tony nominated role in Lead Actor rather than the titular character. Just thought that was an odd bit of trivia given Vanya is otherwise the more historically prestigious part and Astrov seems to usually be seen — not by me — as a supporting role.

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#139The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 3:18pm

Let me echo the disappointment in the Hell’s Kitchen love. The cast is incredible and I understand (most of) their nominations. But Book and Direction and a few of their others have me shaking my head.

Heres hoping The Outsiders is the victor of the season

"In here, life is beautiful"

spicemonkey
#140The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 3:26pm

KitKatBoy24 said: "Let me echo the disappointment in the Hell’s Kitchen love. The cast is incredible and I understand (most of) their nominations. But Book and Direction and a few of their others have me shaking my head.

Heres hoping The Outsiders is the victor of the season
"

Agreed with you on HK. 

Updated On: 4/30/24 at 03:26 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#141The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 3:27pm

bryan32 said: "see it was just the spring season that got all the noms that is not fair"

You're either being delusional or you're trying to create controversy out of nothing.

• 12 of the 28 shows nominated opened in the Fall or Winter.
  • 6 out of the 17 Best Production (Play/Musical/Revival) nominees opened in the Fall.
  • 9 out of the 28 shows that received nominations are closed already.

I don't care to look at the data in more detail, but I doubt today's noms favor spring shows much more than any other season in modern history.

Updated On: 4/30/24 at 03:27 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#142The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 3:35pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Aside from the obvious, Back to the future. I’ll be curious to know which nominated musicalwill announce a national tour first."

Not sure, but I do know that Merrily We Roll Along and Cabaret absolutely have tour plans for next year. 

Oh look, a bibu!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#143The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 3:40pm

MezzA101, you can make a link clickable by clicking on the pretzel looking icon on the tool bar above the comment box and pasting it in the URL box!

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 4/30/24 at 03:40 PM

MadsonMelo
#144The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 3:44pm

Question: what is the biggest spam between nominations that an actor has ever got?

Because between ''Me and My Girl'' and ''The Notebook'', it has passed 37 years and that's a LOT.

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#145The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 3:52pm

MadsonMelo said: "Question: what is the biggest spam between nominations that an actor has ever got?

Because between ''Me and My Girl'' and ''The Notebook'', it has passed 37 years and that's a LOT.
"

Barbara Cook. 52 years between her nominations for The Music Man (1958) and Sondheim on Sondheim (2010).

Right behind her is Jane Fonda with 49 years between her nominations for There Was a Little Girl (1960) and 33 Variations (2009).

MadsonMelo
#146The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 3:54pm

theatreguy said: "MadsonMelo said: "Question: what is the biggest spam between nominations that an actor has ever got?

"

Barbara Cook. 52 years between her nominations for The Music Man (1958) and Sondheim on Sondheim (2010).

Right behind her is Jane Fonda with 49 years between her nominations for There Was a Little Girl (1960) and 33 Variations (2009).

"

Thank you!!!

BoringBoredBoard40
#147The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 4:06pm

Already hearing grumblings that there are not enough tickets to satysfy the number of nominees this year...yikes

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#148The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 4:08pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Aside from the obvious, Back to the future. I’ll be curious to know which nominated musicalwill announce a national tour first."

Not sure, but I do know thatMerrily We Roll AlongandCabaret absolutely havetour plans for next year.
"

Cabaret?? Surely, you can’t be serious

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

hearthemsing22
#149The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 4:10pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Aside from the obvious, Back to the future. I’ll be curious to know which nominated musicalwill announce a national tour first."

Not sure, but I do know thatMerrily We Roll AlongandCabaret absolutely havetour plans for next year.
"

They do?? Since when?? Isn't the main draw for them the cast? And we know they won't tour so...really? Merrily??