pixeltracker

What’s going on at Second Stage?

What’s going on at Second Stage?

Braniff Forever
#1What’s going on at Second Stage?
Posted: 5/2/24 at 6:50pm

I go to each play that shows at the Hayes Theatre, and I’ve noticed they have not announced any new shows for Fall 2024 and Spring 2025? I’ve seen each show that has been there since Lobby Hero in March 2018. 

I’ve seen some real quality shows there but I do know that non-profits have been struggling, and I think that they are moving out of the Tony Kiser off Broadway? I hope they plan to be around as an organization after this spring? Also I think they are getting a new artistic director after the long time woman leaves? It seems like they need to get things together and announce their next season if they are going to have one?? Your thoughts? Thanks! 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2What’s going on at Second Stage?
Posted: 5/2/24 at 6:55pm

Rent in the Tony Kaiser skyrocketed, but their last public communication was all very positive sbout moving forward/ looking for new space 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
#3What’s going on at Second Stage?
Posted: 5/2/24 at 7:07pm

Forbidden Broadway had the theatre for the summer with the option to extend into the fall. I bet another rental show is already preparing to take that slot.

Braniff Forever
#4What’s going on at Second Stage?
Posted: 5/2/24 at 7:22pm

Yes, and they’ve done well with Appropriate and I haven’t looked up the grosses for Mother Play (I know, I should!) but I’m guessing with Jessica Lange in the play it’s bound to be doing well. It’s not on TKTS so that’s a good sign for financial betterment than others. 

it seems like Second Stage has done well working with productions that can get star power in there, so I know that helps. Appropriate is their second play to find a later life on Broadway due to high demand after its initial run ended. Take me Out was the other one. And that one got Jesse Tyler Ferguson his Tony.

It should be good for them that Sarah Paulson is going up against Jessica Lange for Best Actress in a Paly

inception Profile Photo
inception
#5What’s going on at Second Stage?
Posted: 5/2/24 at 7:28pm

Braniff Forever said: "I go to each play that shows at the Hayes Theatre, and I’ve noticed they have not announced any new shows for Fall 2024 and Spring 2025?

It is only May 2nd.  Most of the non-profits haven't announced their next seasons. Not The Public, The Atlantic, NYTW, or CSC.  By the end of June we will probably know more what's coming for next season.

ijest22
#6What’s going on at Second Stage?
Posted: 5/2/24 at 7:28pm

I was wondering the same thing. I’ve been a subscriber for years, and they usually ask you to resubscribe by now. Crickets. 

Braniff Forever
#7What’s going on at Second Stage?
Posted: 5/2/24 at 7:55pm

Maybe they are settling in with a new artistic director and taking their time to finalize? I just like things to look forward to! Lol and also someone else pointed out that some of rbe other non-profits have not posted their upcoming season, so no reason to panic lol but it is fun to know what the future will hold! I’m hoping to see Mother Play next Wednesday. Appropriate is excellent for anyone who wants to see a great play, but I’ve heard the ticket prices for it are pricey. I saw it last year when It was in previews

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#8What’s going on at Second Stage?
Posted: 5/2/24 at 8:09pm

I don't think there's anything to worry about yet. Of the Broadway nonprofits, only Roundabout has announced their full season. Lincoln Center also hasn't announced anything and MTC hasn't announced their Winter show (which usually has similar dates to 2nd Stage's first show of the season). 

Fordham2015
#9What’s going on at Second Stage?
Posted: 5/2/24 at 9:07pm

jkcohen626 said: "I don't think there's anything to worry about yet. Of the Broadway nonprofits, only Roundabout has announced their full season. Lincoln Center also hasn't announced anything and MTC hasn't announced their Winter show (which usually has similar dates to 2nd Stage's first show of the season)."

MTC's winter show is Eureka Day

Eddie Hirsch
#10What’s going on at Second Stage?
Posted: 5/2/24 at 9:26pm

I believe they are booking a sumnmer show prior to their season.  With Forbidden Broadway now forbidden to come in during the summer, it looks likely that the intriguing play JOB will be there for an interim engagement.  I wonder if the producer will give the actors who did it in two off-off-Broadway venues the opportunity of creating their roles on Broadway.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#11What’s going on at Second Stage?
Posted: 5/2/24 at 10:06pm

Fordham2015 said: "jkcohen626 said: "I don't think there's anything to worry about yet. Of the Broadway nonprofits, only Roundabout has announced their full season. Lincoln Center also hasn't announced anything and MTC hasn't announced their Winter show (which usually has similar dates to 2nd Stage's first show of the season)."

"

No, Eureka Day is Fall and Old Friends is Spring. For Broadway, MTC usually has a Fall show that runs from September-November, a Winter show that runs from December-February/March, and then a Spring Show that runs March/April-June (or I suppose beyond if there's demand). 

It doesn't have a season listed, but MTC's subscription page confirms that they have a third unannounced Broadway show: https://www.manhattantheatreclub.com/subscribe/ 

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#12What’s going on at Second Stage?
Posted: 5/2/24 at 11:02pm

jkcohen626 said: "Fordham2015 said: "jkcohen626 said: "I don't think there's anything to worry about yet. Of the Broadway nonprofits, only Roundabout has announced their full season. Lincoln Center also hasn't announced anything and MTC hasn't announced their Winter show (which usually has similar dates to 2nd Stage's first show of the season)."

"

No, Eureka Day is Fall and Old Friends is Spring. For Broadway, MTC usually has a Fall show that runs from September-November, a Winter show that runs from December-February/March, and then a Spring Show that runs March/April-June (or I suppose beyond if there's demand).

It doesn't have a season listed, but MTC's subscription page confirms that they have a third unannounced Broadway show:https://www.manhattantheatreclub.com/subscribe/
"

MTC is not doing a fall Broadway show, or at least not one at the Friedman. They're doing some capital projects (HVAC, fire alarm, lighting upgrades) at the Friedman that are going to go into the fall. Eureka Day isn't starting previews until late November. 

Updated On: 5/2/24 at 11:02 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#13What’s going on at Second Stage?
Posted: 5/2/24 at 11:38pm

2nd Stage has Bennett Leak (a current deputy to Carole Rothman) as Interim AD for next season, so finding a new AD isn't the cause of the delayed season announcement.

It's a lot of work and schedule-finessing to put a season together. It'll be announced soon enough. It won't make much of a difference for sales if they announce the season in May vs September.