pixeltracker

PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24

PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24

sppunk
#1PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 9:09pm

Set those DVRs or add to favorites on the PBS MyPassport app! 

Updated On: 5/22/24 at 09:09 PM

KevinKlawitter
#2PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24
Posted: 5/23/24 at 1:01am

On the eve of the PBS release, how many here have seen the  1963 movie adapted from the play? I'm a little surprised it hasn't been in conversation more since the Broadway revival, although the fact that it was released in many regions under the title Gone Are the Days might have played into that.

At any rate, most of the Broadway cast reprised their roles (including a young Alan Alda in his first screen role), so it's a valuable preservation of the performances of Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee, as well as a reminder that director Nicholas Webster could direct worthy films other than Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.

Updated On: 5/23/24 at 01:01 AM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#3PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24
Posted: 5/23/24 at 6:57am

Wow, thanks for the link. Saw the revival twice and had no idea this existed. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#4PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24
Posted: 5/25/24 at 2:16pm

So did anyone catch this last night?

Oh look, a bibu!

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#5PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24
Posted: 5/25/24 at 3:14pm

Here’s the link to the show.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/purlie-victorious-about/15393/

I went to a special screening on Friday morning and I LOVED it. I loved the moments they shot from backstage where you could see the reactions of the actors of events onstage 

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Wayman_Wong
#6PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24
Posted: 5/25/24 at 4:00pm

On Talkin' Broadway's All That Chat board, there are about a dozen postings reacting to last night's PBS broadcast of ''Purlie Victorious,'' and, sadly, they're largely negative.

'Purlie Victorious' painful to watch

https://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat_new/d.php?id=2596511

Updated On: 5/25/24 at 04:00 PM

inception Profile Photo
inception
#7PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24
Posted: 5/25/24 at 5:15pm

I pvr'd it last night and just tried watching it this afternoon. I made it in about 15 minutes and just had to shut it off. Not for me.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#8PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24
Posted: 5/25/24 at 5:20pm

Taped it to watch tomorrow (Sunday). I never got to see the movie. I saw the musical twice. Just not an Odom, Jr. fan but I have been wanting to see the play for years.

Just give the world Love.

BorisTomashevsky
#9PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24
Posted: 5/25/24 at 5:35pm

Just read the posts over at Talkin’ Broadway (if, like me, you don’t spend much time on that forum, clicking “flat mode” in the menu bar makes it easier to read threads).

The posters there all make really valid points and ask insightful questions, especially around Odom Jr’s poor articulation and Kara Young’s insinkerator voice. 

I was thinking those problems would have faded away between my seeing it in person and the PBS taping (about three months) but sounds like “no.”

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#10PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24
Posted: 5/25/24 at 7:20pm

I loved it on Broadway and on PBS.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#11PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24
Posted: 5/26/24 at 2:17am

I don't love it or hate it but lately if you watch a play Kenny Leon directs that involves him giving an introduction. They including it with the Purlie Victorious taping, he did it with Purlie Victorious live, and is now doing it with Home.   

I don't recall this being the case watching Ohio State Murders, Topdog/Underdog, or Children of a Lesser God.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#12PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24
Posted: 5/26/24 at 9:22am

Had a nap in the afternoon,  then put this back on when making dinner & finished watching it.  All the performances are just so over the top.  It felt like watching a minstrel show. So dated.  Maybe if I was American I might feel more connection to the material...I don't know?  Very glad I passed on seeing this when I was in the city last X-mas.  I would have been disappointed to have spent money on this.

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#13PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24
Posted: 5/26/24 at 9:58am

inception said: "Had a nap in the afternoon, then put this back on when making dinner & finished watching it. All the performances are just so over the top. It felt like watching a minstrel show. So dated. Maybe if I was American I might feel more connection to the material...I don't know? Very glad I passed on seeing this when I was in the city last X-mas. I would have been disappointed to have spent money on this."

Minstrel shows featured blackface, usually by actors who are white. Additionally the African-American characters are dumb and lazy. If anything, Purlie Victorious is a subversion of those racist tropes. 

But I do think you're touching on a really valid point. Purlie is a satire that 1961 audiences would have a lot more context for. Obviously racism hasn't disappeared but current audiences are less likely to be familiar with what the show is satirizing. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#14PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24
Posted: 5/26/24 at 10:07am

I really disliked this on Broadway for some the reasons already mentioned (over the top and histrionic performances, Leon's direction, etc.), so I will not be bothering with the PBS taping. I'm glad so many people loved this, but it wasn't for me.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Wayman_Wong
#15PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24
Posted: 5/26/24 at 6:10pm

I wish they did the 1970 Tony-nominated musical of ''Purlie.''

I actually have fond memories of the 1982 filmed TV version of ''Purlie.'' It starred Robert Guillaume, who took over from the Tony-winning Cleavon Little on Broadway, plus Melba Moore, re-creating her Tony-winning turn, and Sherman Hemsley (''The Jeffersons'' ). It was a wonderful combination of comedy and Gary Geld and Peter Udell's delightful songs, which included my fave ''Walk Him Up the Stairs.'' But the highlight of the night was Moore's ''I Got Love.''

However, my favorite ''Purlie'' was staged by the Black Repertory Theater in Berkeley, Calif., directed by Nora Vaughn, in 1981. It was done in a small storefront theater where we were seated as if we were members of the congregation of the church Purlie is championing. The incredible cast performed with such a passion that the audience couldn't help getting caught up in the spirit. Sometimes, an overly enthusiastic theatergoer exhorted Lutiebelle: ''You go, girl!''

Shirley Faulkner, who should've become a big Broadway star, exploded with her dazzling ''I Got Love.'' By the time, ''Purlie'' reached its rousing, roof-raising gospel finale, I bet everyone in the theater had gone to church, even any atheists. At the time, I was reviewing for the San Francisco Examiner, so I was happy to give it a 4-star review, which helped sell out its entire run. And that ''Purlie'' remains one of the most thrilling times I've ever had in the theater.

Below, the Tony-winning Melba Moore and ''I Got Love'':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oFZV7fAbaE

Updated On: 5/26/24 at 06:10 PM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#16PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24
Posted: 5/26/24 at 6:17pm

Wayman_Wong said: "I wish they didthe 1970 Tony-nominated musical of ''Purlie.''

That was never going to happen. As has been stated in many interviews, while the musical was briefly floated as an idea, The Davis-Dee estate doesn’t sign off on licensing it. While they admire the property for the visibility it brought to the story, they feel the musical took too much away from Ossie Davis’ original words and intentions and wanted the story to be seen in its truest original form.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#17PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24
Posted: 5/26/24 at 6:44pm

quizking101 said: "Wayman_Wong said: "I wish they didthe 1970 Tony-nominated musical of ''Purlie.''

That was never going to happen. As has been stated in many interviews, while the musical was briefly floated as an idea, The Davis-Dee estate doesn’t sign off on licensing it. While they admire the property for the visibility it brought to the story, they feel the musical took too much away from Ossie Davis’ original words and intentions and wanted the story to be seen in its truest original form.
"

Interesting. I never knew that.

I saw the musical twice live and have watched the filmed production a few times. Actually just watched it last year. It was the first professional show I ever saw. Saw it when it very first toured and again in the round (Which was interesting!)

Just give the world Love.

Wayman_Wong
#18PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24
Posted: 5/26/24 at 7:04pm

''Interesting. I never knew that.''

I never heard that before either. What a shame.

Encores! did ''Purlie'' in 2005 with Blair Underwood, Anika Noni Rose, Lillias White and John Cullum. Wish I had seen it. . 

Updated On: 5/26/24 at 07:04 PM

The Other One
#19PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24
Posted: 5/26/24 at 7:27pm

Wayman_Wong said: "''Interesting. I never knew that.''

I never heard that before either. What a shame.

Encores! did ''Purlie'' in 2005 with Blair Underwood,Anika Noni Rose, Lillias White and John Cullum. Wish I had seen it.
"

That's a great cast.  I wish I had, too.  I saw the original production of Purlie at the Broadway Theatre way back when, in my youth. A delightful show I have nothing but good memories of. 

Wayman_Wong
#20PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24
Posted: 5/26/24 at 11:35pm

Just found this mini-compilation of ''Purlie'' at the 1970 Tonys (link below): Melba Moore belts ''I Got Love,'' and the cast sings ''Walk Him Up the Stairs.''

But when Jack Cassidy announced the winner for Featured Actress in a Musical, he said: ''Melissa Moore in 'Purlie'!''

Cassidy accidentally conflated two Tony nominees' names: Melissa Hart (from ''Georgy'' ) and Melba Moore.

And when Shirley MacLaine announced the nominees AND then winner for Best Actor in a Musical, she twice read: ''Cleveland Little!'' (instead of Cleavon).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SemRODDcAdM

Updated On: 5/26/24 at 11:35 PM

bear88
#21PSA: Purlie Victorious premiers on PBS’ Great Performances Friday, May 24
Posted: 5/27/24 at 12:24am

I did not see Purlie Victorious on Broadway but did see the TV production. Mixed feelings. Satirical farces with broad performances, but about serious events, seems tough to translate to the small screen. But that was probably just me.

Latest Posts

Videos