pixeltracker

What’s next for the James Earl Jones?

stagepotato
#1What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/22/24 at 9:58am

With The Heart of Rock and Roll closing tomorrow, another theatre opens up. What’s rumored to open next at the James Earl Jones? (Or is it just the Jones?) 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#2What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/22/24 at 10:37am

I'm guessing Left on Tenth. I thought that might be the type of thing that was announced with only stars attached and then never happens. But, their website has the full cast and says that Stro is directing and Daryl Roth is producing, so I think it'll actually happen. 

https://www.leftontenthbroadway.com/ 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/22/24 at 10:40am

After that gorgeous renovation and lobby expansion, the Jones deserves to house a hit.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#4What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/22/24 at 2:42pm

I don’t like the design of the annex.  Those big flowers on the walls, it looks girly and childish.  I don’t like the flowers on the walls at David geffen hall either. Terrible trend 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#5What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/23/24 at 12:18pm

Buena vista social club could also be an option. They posted an epa, said it would be this fall

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#6What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/23/24 at 1:37pm

The lobby reminds me of Blanche’s bedroom and it’s all I ever think of when I’m in there. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#7What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/23/24 at 1:39pm

Jordan Catalano said: "The lobby reminds me of Blanche’s bedroom and it’s all I ever think of when I’m in there."

Well, Blanche's bedroom certainly got a lot more foot traffic than the Jones lobby did for Heart of RnR.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#8What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/23/24 at 1:46pm

OUCH. lol

binau Profile Photo
binau
#9What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/23/24 at 1:47pm

HAHAHAHAHA

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#10What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/23/24 at 3:42pm

Broadway Flash said: "I don’t like the design of the annex. Those big flowers on the walls, it looks girly and childish. I don’t like the flowers on the walls at David geffen hall either. Terrible trend"

I think it’s gorgeous but definitely won’t be timely 20-30 years from now. They won’t last.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#11What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/24/24 at 7:54am

Does anyone know why there’s a big wall showing Marie Antoinette in the James Earl Jones annex/lobby area when you take the stairs down to the restrooms? 
It just felt out of place to me.

bigbelterbaby
#12What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/24/24 at 9:17am

Wick3 said: "Does anyone know why there’s a big wall showing Marie Antoinette in the James Earl Jones annex/lobby area when you take the stairs down to the restrooms?
It just felt out of place to me.
"

There’s carvings of Marie Antoinette inside the theatre, which was built to look like a palace in Versailles. This article tells about it 

https://www.spotlightonbroadway.com/theater/cort

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#13What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/24/24 at 9:25am

Specifically, the Cort/James Earl Jones is Thomas Lamb's riff on the Petit Trianon at Versailles.What’s next for the James Earl Jones?

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
Updated On: 6/24/24 at 09:25 AM

bigbelterbaby
#14What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/24/24 at 9:30am

If you look up the Maxine Elliott Theatre, a gorgeous theatre that should have never been demolished, it was built exactly like the Cort/James Earl Jones. At least the Cort is still with us! 

hearthemsing22
#15What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/24/24 at 9:42am

bigbelterbaby said: "If you look up the Maxine Elliott Theatre, a gorgeous theatre that should have never been demolished, it was built exactly like the Cort/James Earl Jones. At least the Cort is still with us!"

If you look above the awning, you can also see is still says The Cort Theater.  

bigbelterbaby
#16What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/24/24 at 9:46am

After the great theatre massacre of 1982, all the theatres earned landmark status so they have to keep the outside the same. They could have renamed a different theatre that doesn’t have the original name etched in but whatever. Same thing at the Henry Miller/Stephen Sondheim. 

hearthemsing22
#17What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/24/24 at 9:47am

bigbelterbaby said: "After the great theatre massacre of 1982, all the theatres earned landmark status so they have to keep the outside the same. They could have renamed a different theatre that doesn’t have the original name etched in but whatever. Same thing at the Henry Miller/Stephen Sondheim."

Thank you! 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#18What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/24/24 at 12:01pm

Thank you! I never knew the Cort/James Earl Jones was based on the Petit Trianon of Versailles. It makes more sense now why there's that huge Marie Antoinette mural in the annex/lobby area.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#19What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/24/24 at 12:02pm

If the West End production of Next to Normal were to transfer, I think it could fit well in the Jones. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

BoringBoredBoard40
#20What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/24/24 at 4:54pm

Kad said: "After that gorgeous renovation and lobby expansion, the Jones deserves to house a hit."

Gutenberg would like a word

hearthemsing22
#21What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/26/24 at 4:48pm

Transfer of Kennedy Centers Bye Bye Birdie??

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#22What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/26/24 at 4:56pm

Nah, not Bye Bye Birdie.  If they "bring back Birdie" it needs a better production, Birdie (Sykes lacked natural charisma and charm, which has become all too regular with him) and a better Rosie.  A new production with a star and a few of the KC cast, new team etc would be great though.

These visually cheap Encores / KC staged concerts transferring are getting old.  The casts are great, or mixed, but producers are getting us accustomed to low budget "productions".  Pass.

Updated On: 6/26/24 at 04:56 PM

hearthemsing22
#23What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/26/24 at 5:22pm

CoffeeBreak said: "Nah, not Bye Bye Birdie. If they "bring back Birdie" it needs a better production, Birdie (Sykes lacked natural charisma and charm, which has become all too regular with him)and a better Rosie. A new production with a star and a few of the KC cast, new team etc would be great though.

These visually cheapEncores / KC staged concerts transferring are getting old. The casts are great, or mixed, but producers are getting us accustomed to low budget "productions". Pass.
"

I'm begging the set designers of the next season to please be bold, go big, don't give us those cheap minimalistic stages! 

Dom P
#24What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
Posted: 6/26/24 at 5:34pm

The Hippest Trip-The Soul Train Musical?

MemorableUserName

Videos