Broadway Rumors/Whispers

theatergoer3
#1Broadway Rumors/Whispers
Posted: 7/2/24 at 7:35pm

Inspired by the Latest Musical Threads among other threads, I thought it'd be good to have one place to compile the recent rumors/gossip/potential new shows.

Not all of these will happen but I've seen these rumored here or on the other board. 

Starting with the confirmations - 

New Musicals

A Wonderful World
Boop!
Death Becomes Her
Maybe Happy Ending
Old Friends
Redwood
Smash
Swept Away
Tammy Faye

2025/2026? - Dolly Parton 

Musical Revivals - 

Floyd Collins

Gypsy

Once Upon a Mattress

Sunset Boulevard

The Last Five Years

The Pirates of Penzance

Plays

Cult of Love

English

Eureka Day

Good Night, and Good Luck

Job

Left on Tenth

McNEAL

The Hills of California

The Roommate

Play Revivals

Othello 

Our Town

Romeo + Juliet

Yellow Face

Unoffical - 

Press Annoucements/Pieces -   

Stranger Things: The First Shadow (Sonia Freidman's Interview) 

The Picture of Dorian Grey (Deadline) 

The Motive and the Cue (Deadline) 

Musicals - 

Hippest Trip (Other board says this is coming to the Nederlander) 

CATS: The Jellicle Ball (Rumored to be in Cirlce & The Square after Romeo & Juliet) 

Buena Vista (Equity Posting) 

Preacher’s Wife

Operation Mincemeat

Dead Outlaw

Gun & Powder

Queen of Versailles 

Ragtime NYCC

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Gatsby 

Next to Normal 

Elf

Teeth ?

Kiss of the Spider Woman ?

Galileo ?

Plays- 

Streetcar 

People, Places & Things

Vanya

John Proctor

Purpose

Bug 

Little Bear Ridge Road

Updated On: 7/2/24 at 07:35 PM

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#2Broadway Rumors/Whispers
Posted: 7/2/24 at 7:51pm

What Dolly revival are you talking about? 

theatergoer3
#3Broadway Rumors/Whispers
Posted: 7/2/24 at 7:53pm

The Dolly Parton bio musical - I’ll fix that.

chrishuyen
#4Broadway Rumors/Whispers
Posted: 7/2/24 at 8:03pm

Unless there's been further rumors after the announcement, I would guess Teeth is staying off Broadway (at least for a while) since I believe their run at New World Stages is meant to be open ended

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#5Broadway Rumors/Whispers
Posted: 7/3/24 at 6:11am

I'm surprised to see Boop actually scheduled for an opening, although I predict a Lempicka length run.

Danasi
#6Broadway Rumors/Whispers
Posted: 7/3/24 at 9:03am

I know at one point The Mousetrap was supposed to come over in 2023.  Have there been any more whisperings about that?  Or is considered dead?

bigbelterbaby
#7Broadway Rumors/Whispers
Posted: 7/3/24 at 9:15am

Mousetrap hasn’t been mentioned once in 2 years, it’s not happening. 

Teeth will never transfer to Broadway, a musical about a man-eating lady parts is the stuff off-Broadway is made for. Not a show for the masses. 

Boop I’m sure is still getting worked on, they could have come in sooner if they wanted too but I think waiting til 2025 shows they will take the notes from Chicago and try to fix some things. 

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#8Broadway Rumors/Whispers
Posted: 7/3/24 at 9:32am

A lot of those TBD musicals are actively in development and whether they actually get produced or not is a different matter. Securing both a theatre and all the needed financing is easier said than done. Sometimes a show can also "seem" dead and then come back to life, whether that's with new producers or the same producers.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#9Broadway Rumors/Whispers
Posted: 7/3/24 at 9:51am

Adding that MOUSTRAP probably is not dead (whether it's with McCollum or someone else), as it was just acquired by an investor group led by TodayTix's Brian Fenty. So they will surely be looking for ways to exploit the property, and Broadway & US touring/licensing is one such way.

Ke3
#10Broadway Rumors/Whispers
Posted: 7/3/24 at 10:38am

Kiss of the Spider Woman is not happening. The movie just wrapped. I’d honestly say that because there’s going to be a film version with an A-Lister that property isn’t just delayed, it’s finished. At least the version with whatever team was working on the revival is. Unless the producer decides to sit on the rights but wasn’t the rumor that the rights were revoked? Don’t see a revival happening within five years of the film and if the film is at all successful I’d probably even push that back to ten. 

MysteriousLady
#11Broadway Rumors/Whispers
Posted: 7/3/24 at 10:42am

What Streetcar production is rumored? 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#12Broadway Rumors/Whispers
Posted: 7/3/24 at 10:56am

MysteriousLady said: "What Streetcar production is rumored?"

The Rebecca Frecknall production, which starred Paul Mescal in London.

A lot of star-driven works kick around for a while and either never happen or they happen when said star has a 20-week break in their calendar and wants to make time for Broadway.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#13Broadway Rumors/Whispers
Posted: 7/3/24 at 11:02am

I’m guessing A German Life starring Maggie Smith won’t go to Broadway anymore? I recall during pandemic there were rumors but I understand it’s been 5 years since she did the role at the Bridge theater in London.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#14Broadway Rumors/Whispers
Posted: 7/3/24 at 11:20am

Wick3 said: "I’m guessing A German Life starring Maggie Smith won’t go to Broadway anymore? I recall during pandemic there were rumors but I understand it’s been 5 years since she did the role at the Bridge theater in London."

The announcement during the pandemic was that a film adaptation would happen, but there's been no development since Dec 2020.

Re: the stage production coming to New York, the only rumor I recall (and now can't find the article) was that Maggie Smith did NOT want to bring this to New York despite a lot of pleads from producers and substantial offers. She's nearly 90, probably doesn't give a damn about awards, and I don't blame her for wanting to stay closer to home.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#15Broadway Rumors/Whispers
Posted: 7/3/24 at 12:10pm

Boop was confirmed for Spring ‘25 and likely had a theater that is otherwise occupied. 

Little Bear Ridge Road I don’t really see on Broadway unless they partner with Second Stage or MTC. It’s terrific but doesn’t feel substantial enough for a for profit run. 

Shawk Profile Photo
Shawk
#16Broadway Rumors/Whispers
Posted: 7/3/24 at 4:34pm

I would highly suspect Galileo will revamp in another out of town tryout but is aiming for Broadway in 2025/2026.

'"Contrairiwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."' ~Lewis Carroll

singer234
#17Broadway Rumors/Whispers
Posted: 7/3/24 at 4:36pm

I heard that Smash wants the Broadhurst after Hills of California. Who knows. Could also see it taking the Schoenfeld after Notebook.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#18Broadway Rumors/Whispers
Posted: 7/3/24 at 10:07pm

singer234 said: "I heard that Smash wants the Broadhurst after Hills of California. Who knows. Could also see it taking the Schoenfeld after Notebook."

I think every large-ish musical wants the Broadhurst nowadays. BOOP was also rumored to be wanting that house too. At 1186 seats, it's got about 100 more than the other playhouses (Schoenfeld, Jacobs, Barrymore, etc), which can make or break a not-small musical (SMASH had 25 people in its reading cast and probably has at least 10 in the orchestra). The alternative is probably one of the 1400+ seaters, which is a lot to fill every night.

The decision, as always, will be up to Shubert, and they have longstanding relationships with the producers of SMASH (Neil Meron) and BOOP (Bill Haber).

Updated On: 7/3/24 at 10:07 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#19Broadway Rumors/Whispers
Posted: 7/3/24 at 10:09pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "singer234 said: "I heard that Smash wants the Broadhurst after Hills of California. Who knows. Could also see it taking the Schoenfeld after Notebook."

I think every large-ish musical wants the Broadhurst nowadays. BOOP was also rumored to be wanting that house too. At 1186 seats, it's got about 100 more than the other playhouses (Schoenfeld, Jacobs, Barrymore, etc) which can make or break a not-small musical (SMASH had 25 people in its reading cast and probably has at least 10 in the orchestra).

The decision, as always, will be up to Shubert, and they have longstanding relationships with the producers of SMASH (Neil Meron) and BOOP (Bill Haber).
"

For the staged readings, Smash had a nine-piece orchestra. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Videos