Great First Act Closers

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#0Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 7:27am

Who wants to make a list? Sure if you don't wanna, then don't and keep your mouth shut cause I damn well do! *smiles* Anyone?

Les Miserables "One Day More"

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#1re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 7:45am

Ragtime "Till We Reach That Day"

Belter
#2re: re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 7:54am

I only offer this story:

DREAMGIRLS once ended the first act with "And I'm Telling You" ... but it didn't work -- because it incited the audience too much. They had to put in "One Night Only" to calm the audience down, or they had riots during intermission.

This is what I heard. Clarification welcome.

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#3re: re: re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 8:02am

Act One of Dreamgirls basically does end with "And I Am Telling You". There is a brief onstage song for the Dreams, "Love Love You Baby," as Essie is pulled upstage on the set, but usually, the audience is screaming so much at that point, you never do hear "Love Love You Baby". It was a strategy concocted to drive you out of your mind because you can't really applaud for "And I Am Telling You" but you go nuts anyway. Pure Michael Bennett, I think. I doubt that "One Night Only" was ever in Act One...but the early drafts of Dreamgirls were very different, so if anyone knows more about the show's workshop development, please clarify.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#4re: re: re: re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 8:41am

Defying Gravity...my opinion the best scene in the show. The lighting, the costumes and Idina.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#5re: re: re: re: re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 9:48am

except that she doesn't fly...just lifts up...LOL...

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

IssaMe
#6re: re: re: re: re: re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 9:56am

Redhead...

Essie (Gwen Verdon), cowering at the back of a dark, empty stage while being stalked by a serial killer.

Not musical but guaranteed to bring you back for Act 2.

SonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 10:12am

Craig Rubano, who was Marius on Broadway and is a delightful cabaret singer now, has a CD titled "Finishing the Act" which has some nice choices.

Give My Regards to Broadway (George M!)
Welcome to the Theater (Applause)
Anything Goes (Anything Goes)
The Impossible Dream (Man of La Mancha)
Before the Parade Passes By (Hello, Dolly!)
Take the Moment (Do I Hear a Waltz?)
You're Nothing Without Me (City of Angels)
There's Always One You Can't Forget
(Dance a Little Closer)
Who Can I Turn To? (The Roar of the Greasepaint -- The Smell of the Crowd)
My Own Best Friend (Chicago)
All at Once You Love Her (Pipe Dream)
Song of Love (Once Upon a Mattress)
Dear Friend (She Loves Me)
Nobody Told Me (No Strings)
Sunday (Sunday in the Park with George)
Where Do I Go? (Hair)
Now You Know (Merrily We Roll Along)
Momma, Look Sharp (1776)
Father to Son (Falsettos)
Climb Ev'ry Mountain (The Sound of Music)

www.craigrubano.com

Updated On: 4/6/04 at 10:12 AM

marincrazy11 Profile Photo
marincrazy11
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 10:14am

I definatley need to second Till We Reach That Day from Ragtime

"Did you know that if you take the first two vowels in Olive and rearrange them it spells I-Love?"-Spelling Bee "It's night like this that hotel bars were specifically made." Light In The Piazza

NuggetMonkeys Profile Photo
NuggetMonkeys
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 10:16am

IMPOSSIBLE DREAM ~ Man of La Mancha.
sheer brilliance.

Vary My Days.

Plum
#10re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 10:32am

Everything's Coming Up Roses- Gyspy
Sunday- Sunday in the Park With George Updated On: 4/6/04 at 10:32 AM

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#11re: re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 10:41am

i was WAITING for someone to mention Wicked... LOL!!!

Sheri Profile Photo
Sheri
#12re: re: re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 11:40am

"Who Will Love As I Am?" in Side Show. It made me tear up so much that I didn't want to leave my seat during intermission!

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#13re: re: re: re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 11:44am

oh!!! Plum, yes!!! Sunday!!!!

NYCbabe3789 Profile Photo
NYCbabe3789
#14re: re: re: re: re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 11:54am

Defying Gravity-WICKED
Act One Finale-URINETOWN
Act One Finale-INTO THE WOODS
Till We Reach That Day-RAGTIME
Everything's Coming Up Roses-GYPSY
One Day More-LES MISERABLES
Voulez-Vous-MAMMA MIA!
Hold Your Head Up High (rep)-HONK!
La Vie Boheme-RENT

Other great Act One closers that don't end with music:

PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS
Updated On: 4/6/04 at 11:54 AM

Dollypop
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 12:01pm

"I Am What I Am" from TWGM

and

"Before The Parade Passes BY" from TWHM (as if I had to mention it!)

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 12:09pm

what are TWGM and TWHM?

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 12:33pm

I would definetly agree with "Defying Gravity" and "Till we Reach That Day" and the Act I Finale of "Little Shop".

I do not agree with "My Own Best Friend" from Chicago- I think that's one of the weakest. The song isn't that great, and the two of them just standing there singing was not my cup of tea.

Otherwise:
"I'm Free/Heaven Help Me"-Footloose
"Act I Finale"- Into The Woods
"Go, go, go Joesph"- Joseph

PennyLou Profile Photo
PennyLou
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 1:04pm

Um.. Big Blond and Beautiful~ Hairspray
and
my favorite that I performed in is Crazy For You I've Got Rhythm

Grace: My love for you is like this scar (points to elbow) ulgy but permanent!

MargoChanning
#19re: re: re: re: re: re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 1:09pm

"And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" always closed Act One of DREAMGIRLS (and "One Night Only" was always in Act Two), but early in previews, Michael Bennett added the "button" of the Dreams doing about six measures of "Love, Love You Baby" to the end of the scene, for both practical and artistic reasons. Artistic because Bennett's staging was purely cinematic, full of lightning quick scene changes and "editing" techniques that were straight out of the movies. The close of act one was a "wipe/dissolve" effect -- to the audience in the Imperial Theatre it was as if the image of Effie White, sitting backstage at her make up table, holding that last note, suddenly freeze-framed, the "camera" zoomed out (the pallette under Effie and her table was quickly pulled upstage and out of sight) and the image faded to black. Simultaneously, cut to the Dreams onstage in Vegas. As the lights come back up to full, they're dancing and singing in front of a shimmery gold lame curtain --Effie and backstage have disappeared. An amazing coup de theatre.

The effect was also practical in the sense that the audience reaction was so overwhelming (the standing ovation typically started a little over halfway through the number and there was pandemonium in the audience by Jennifer's last note), Bennett actually had to come up with a way to quickly cut it off, lest he risk calls for Holliday to return to the stage for bows, encores, etc..... (the role was a killer for Holliday and she often exhausted and vocally spent by intermission and needed to rest). Bringing the Dreams back on briefly (roughly 15 seconds) helped remind the audience that they were watching a dramatic show and not Jennifer Holliday in concert. Additionally, on the Dreams last note (and the last refrain of the offstage chorus' "Showbiz is just showbiz"), Bennett had the curtain dropped as quickly as possible and the second it hit the stage, the house lights were immediately brought up to full. The audience instantly stopped applauding, as if awakened suddenly from a dream, and stood there squinting and blinking, numb and disoriented, trying to get their bearings as intermission began.

It's the best Act One closer I've ever seen, and it continued to elicit nearly the same audience response after Holliday left the show and a parade of replacements and understudies took on the role both on Broadway and on tour (including a few less than stellar singers). The song is so powerful and (more importantly) the momentum Bennett built into the everything leading up to that climactic final scene, all but guarantees that it'll stop the show no matter who's playing Effie.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Etcy Profile Photo
Etcy
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 2:35pm

"Lambeth Walk" - Me and My Girl

~*Etcy*~

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#21re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 3:53pm

I was wondering when someone would start a thread on this subject....

CHICAGO dose not end act one with "My Own Best Friend". It ends with the brief reprise of "All That Jazz" sung by Velma after Roxie announces she's going to have a baby and then Billy says he wants the best doctor in town for his poor client and for someone to pick her up. Get the LONDON cast recording to hear it.

Act one finales I'm surprised no one has mentioned;

TITANIC ~ sure we all knew it was going to end with them hitting the iceberg, but the ship sailing across the water so beautifully was just awesome. And I still don't know how they did it, anyone know how they made the water look so real?

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA ~ Of course.

RENT ~ dauh...I love RENT. "Viva La Vie Boheme!"

JEKYLL & HYDE ~ Lighting the bishop's body on fire...c'mon that was AWESOME!

THE PRODUCERS ~ very nice.

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST ~ When he runs out on the balcony to finish the song! Breathtaking!

AVENUE Q ~ It's just nice.

THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL ~ "The Riddle" cool....

SUNSET BOULEVARD ~ "Happy new year, darling...."

CATS ~ Gorgeous.

H2$ ~ love it.

THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE ~ poor Millie...

A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM ~ "Do you have anything to say?" "INTERMISSION!"

CABARET ~ "Tomorrow belongs to me!"

SEUSSICAL ~ "How Lucky You Are!"

COMPANY ~ nice.

MISS SAIGON ~ Sure the helicopter is better, but the act one finale is cool too with the boat people and all....

A CHORUS LINE ~ should be a two act show....

PUTTING IT TOGETHER (B-way) ~ I just liked it. Simple, elegant, there.

SMOKEY JOE'S CAFE` ~ I love that song!!!!! "SAVED" Awesome....

SHERRY! ~ It's funny! Chaos!!!

MARTIN GUERRE ~ I'm the only one who liked this show...

CARRIE ~ C'mon! Scary!!!

I could go on and one...let me think of some more... Updated On: 4/6/04 at 03:53 PM

WestEndBird Profile Photo
WestEndBird
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 4:11pm

DEFYING GRAVITY!!!!!!!
hands down, Wicked takes the cake on this one!! I love that song and Idina belted it like crazy when I saw her perform..I was getting tingles down my spine...very powerful!

"Even if I could let you see me cry you would never understand what I was feeling inside, you see it and use it but dont believe in it..."

Dollypop
#23re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 4:18pm

For the 900th time:

TWGM= "The World's Gayest Musical" (LA CAGE AUX FOLLES)

TWHM= "The World's Happiest Musical" (HELLO, DOLLY!)

....didn't you learn anything in school?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#24re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Great First Act Closers
Posted: 4/6/04 at 4:21pm

no, i always cut classes... LOL!!!

Videos