Male Rose's Turn

Broadway724 Profile Photo
Broadway724
#0Male Rose's Turn
Posted: 5/8/04 at 9:00pm

Hey all,

What song do you all think is the MALE version of Rose's Turn?

I'm trying to think of a power-house of a number like that for a male, but I'm coming up short, but I guess there's gotta be something.

Maybe...Once Before I Go? Any other ideas.

Thanks all

Yankeefan007
#1re: Male Rose's Turn
Posted: 5/8/04 at 9:21pm

Betrayed from the Producers
Once Before I Go from Boy from Oz
I Cant make this movie from 9

Plum
#2re: Male Rose's Turn
Posted: 5/8/04 at 9:24pm

I think only Jackman's performance makes "Once Before I Go" into such a powerhouse number.

But to answer your question...I just don't know if there's a real "Rose's Turn" for men. Let's face it, there have always been more compelling and spectaular parts for women than for men in Broadway theater.

If I had to choose I would say:

"Soliloquoy" - Carousel
"Epiphany" - Sweeney Todd

And...uh...yeah, that about covers it. Though I have a soft spot for "Hedwig's Lament" from Hedwig and the Angry Inch, too, you could argue if that's really a male solo. :)

jo
#3re: Male Rose's Turn
Posted: 5/8/04 at 9:26pm

ONCE BEFORE I GO - The Boy from OZ
STARS - Les Miserables
MUSIC OF THE NIGHT - Phantom of the Opera
ANTHEM - Chess
THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM - Man of La Mancha

and maybe a few more.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#4re: Male Rose's Turn
Posted: 5/8/04 at 9:30pm

Make Them Hear You, Ragtime
Petrified, Taboo

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#5re: Male Rose's Turn
Posted: 5/8/04 at 9:33pm

Just give me a few Mojitos and I will turn any number into a roses turn.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

shermanslave Profile Photo
shermanslave
#6re: Male Rose's Turn
Posted: 5/8/04 at 9:48pm

what about The Fountain from Sweet Smell of Success? (which everyone hated except me)

Please visit Bitchy Waiter

Broadway724
#7re: Male Rose's Turn...once before i go
Posted: 5/8/04 at 9:56pm

no its not just jackmans performance...i bring down the apt when i sing it in voice lessons....lol.

btw none of the songs listed are really sparking with me...if that makes sense but i think its true...there really isnt a male version of roses turn...maybe someone needs to write an out of this world song for a guy...lol...but then before u know it, it would be over sung.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#8re: Male Rose's Turn...once before i go
Posted: 5/8/04 at 9:59pm

THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM is probably the closest thing you'll find to a male equivilant of ROSE'S TURN. It really is one of the great songs in musical theatre.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

Dollypop
#9re: Male Rose's Turn...once before i go
Posted: 5/8/04 at 10:03pm

There's a number in DO RE MI that is really a male version of "Rose's Turn".

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#10re: Male Rose's Turn...
Posted: 5/8/04 at 10:22pm

I definitely don't think "Make Them Hear You" is a male "Rose's Turn" at all; it's not a powerhouse number, although it is an important turning point.

Although "The Impossible Dream" is a wonderful song, I think that the closest you can get to a male "Rose's Turn" is "Soliliquoy" from Carousel; it has its solemn, sweet, tender moments and it's loud, brassy, determined moments and is really an internal emotional turning point, similar to Rose's Turn.

Broadway724
#11re: Male Rose's Turn...
Posted: 5/8/04 at 10:25pm

what number in do re mi are you talking about?

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#12re: Male Rose's Turn...
Posted: 5/8/04 at 10:45pm

Rod's Turn sung by Broadway's cutest red head Rod!
Listen to Tartaglia's concert. I would have loved to have seen it live.

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#13re: Male Rose's Turn...
Posted: 5/8/04 at 11:04pm

"Gethsemane" from JC Superstar.

I agree with "Soliloquy" and "Epiphany" also.

#14re: Male Rose's Turn...
Posted: 5/8/04 at 11:29pm

Hmmmmm......tough one. Rose's turn is really a character having a major breakdown.

With that in "Mind" I would have to say the Ben's finale in Follies where he really snaps...and his wife comes on takes him home. "Live, Laugh, Love."

VoiceofReason Profile Photo
VoiceofReason
#15re: Male Rose's Turn...
Posted: 5/8/04 at 11:32pm

Being Alive!!!!

always,
~M~

For heaven's sake, don't try to be cynical. It's perfectly easy to be cynical. ~The Importance of Being Earnest~

nystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
#16re: Male Rose's Turn...
Posted: 5/8/04 at 11:33pm

i sort of agree with "i cant make this movie" from nine, it goes with the whole mental breakdown thing, its an 11:00 number and its the major charactors big moment- but i also have to agree that there is no male rose's turn.

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#17re: Male Rose's Turn...
Posted: 5/9/04 at 12:04am

Definetely "Betrayed" from The Producers

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

Theworldgoesrouuuund
#18re: Male Rose's Turn...
Posted: 5/9/04 at 12:51am

I AM WHAT I AM !!!

NuggetMonkeys Profile Photo
NuggetMonkeys
#19re: Male Rose's Turn...
Posted: 5/9/04 at 12:54am

Being Alive ~ COMPANY

no doubt.

also, yes, I Can't Make this Movie ~ NINE...but thats really character-specific.

-d.b.j-

Vary My Days.

musicaltheatreman
#20re: Male Rose's Turn...
Posted: 5/9/04 at 1:02am

being alive - company
i am what i am- la cage
this is the moment - jekell and hyde

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#21re: Male Rose's Turn...
Posted: 5/9/04 at 1:07am

"also, yes, I Can't Make this Movie ~ NINE...but thats really character-specific."

So is Rose's Turn.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#22re: Male Rose's Turn...
Posted: 5/9/04 at 1:12am

"There's a number in DO RE MI that is really a male version of "Rose's Turn"."

It's called "All of My Life"--it's not a very good song, as if Jule Styne was trying to follow a formula Sondheim invented for Gypsy, only no one pointed out that "Rose's Turn" was sui generis.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#23re: Male Rose's Turn...
Posted: 5/9/04 at 3:58am

"I've Heard It All" from SHENANDOAH is an very powerful song for a man.

PEACE.

Dennis2
#24re: Male Rose's Turn...
Posted: 5/9/04 at 4:03am

I think Rose's Turn is just one of the kinds of musicalized nervous breakdowns that have happened before. The other two are Betrayed (The Producers) and Epiphany (Sweeney Todd), both sung by men. They've also been mentioned by others earlier in the thread, but here are some reasons why I think they are...

Betrayed- This one takes the comic route with great success, but their is still something legitimate happening on stage with the character. Like Rose, Max recounts major plot points in the musical (although with just a bit more depth and in a very, very funny way). If done right the number helps you understand Max a little better, which can be just as important as the laughs.

Epiphany- I just saw the LA Tour DVD of Sweeney Todd, so I'm still putting together the pieces of my brain after seeing Lansbury and Hearn's mindblowing performances. The song, Epiphany, is very different from Rose's Turn and Betrayed, because it's not an 11 o'clock number, but the emotional explosion that happens on stage is still very similar to them. Also, like the other two numbers, it has that audience participation factor.

The main thing the songs all have in commmon is that they really only work well on stage. Whether it's Sweeney screaming at you, Max making funny stage/theater based jokes, or Mama Rose taking those final bows, something really hits that makes you realize how great and unique the theater really is.

I don't like ice cream
Updated On: 5/9/04 at 04:03 AM

Videos