pixeltracker

"Caroline, or Change" at the Tonys

"Caroline, or Change" at the Tonys

#0"Caroline, or Change" at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 12:41pm

I can't say I really appreciated Ms. Pinlin's rendition of her number - but, owing to her schedule (especially over this particular weekend) it's hardly surprising. And I certainly wouldn't take it as an indication of what is normally presented. My real question - for those who have seen and admired the show - is, "Is that really the best representation of the show as a whole?" I was blown away by the energy and personality of Anika, and would like to have seen her perform in some way. But really, my point is, for those of us unlucky enough not to have the opportunity to see the piece, I really didn't feel their choice gave me any idea as to why I should.

FindingNamo
#1re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 12:43pm

In my opinion it was not the best presentation. In the show it is fantastic. All I know is, in years to come, I will be happy to say I saw that show.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#2re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 12:56pm

Namo knows I didn't love the show as much as apprecialted it but I will agree and say that was far from the best representation of the show. You wouldn't get a thing about it from that performance.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#3re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 1:00pm

I hate to say it but Tonya was not at her best. I saw the show twice and both times she was perfection.
She has been doing so much lately, i am sure she is just exhausted.
I loved her in Caroline and I loved the show. It was not a good indication of her performance at all.
See CAROLINE!

Sunfish
#4re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 1:01pm

Is it usually a powerful, pivital moment in the show (seems that it ought to be) and this was just a bad performance? Was her voice bad? She seemed to be yelling, growling almost, to get it out....does she SING those loud passionate portions or is the yell/growl a more appropriate description?

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#5re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 3:15pm

I felt so bad for Tonya because basically people are going to go off that performance on whether or not they should see the show. And her performance at the Tony's isnt anything like what she delivers in a full show. Yes she did crack- Everyone does once in awhile and she did got flat on one of her long held notes, but the passion she put into the number last night was unbelievable.
I had a little Tony Awards party last night and a lot of my friends were being so harsh on Tonya that I wanted to cry. They have no clue about the brilliance she puts in every performance, 8 times a week. They all said that she was bad. Okay, I felt like yelling at them, you do 8 shows a week and get back to me on how your voice sounds. People are so dumb. And its not like any of my friends have room to talk. Tonya was awesome at the Tony's in my eyes, but she is so much more amazing in a full performance.
In other news, Congradulations to Aniki Noni Rose! I absolutely loved her!!

"They hear drums. We hear music."

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#6re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 3:27pm

From what I understand of the show (I haven't seen it yet), it seems like it would be hard to pull anything out to represent the show for the Tonys. The song didn't make much sense out of context, but in these types of shows, almost nothing makes sense out of context. I think Namo feels the same as I did when I saw Marie Christine and The Light in the Piazza. Both are extremely artistic, heady, and unconventional musicals that are designed more to make the audience think than to simply entertain or provide some toe-tapping songs and nifty scenic designs and choreography. I really couldn't hum anything from either show (excpet maybe the Cincinnati number in Marie Christine), but both of the shows were extemely memorable and left a long-lasting impression with me. I was thinking about them for days afterward and I wanted to see them again because I knew there was even more I could learn from them. I think Caroline or Change will have the same effect on me.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ChristineDaae Profile Photo
ChristineDaae
#7re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 3:38pm

Can anyone say- BORING!!!

"Life will be frozen peaches and cream. Baby, dream Your Dream" ~ SC

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#8re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 3:47pm

Nope because it wasnt boring.
You have to listen to the words of that song to really gets its meaning.

TheBalladeer Profile Photo
TheBalladeer
#9re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 3:53pm

Tonya, I thought was fantastic. Whoever thought that she was bad was an idiot. There was obviously a lot of emotion and passion displayed in that performance. Although I must agree she wasn't her best vocally, she still gave a STUNNING performance. I wish they could have given a three way tie between Kristen Chenoweth, Idina Menzel, and Tonya. They were all fantastic in their own way.

Cheers,
The Balladeer

"Someone tell the story...Someone sing the song...."

#10re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 3:54pm

I guess that makes me an idiot - thanks for the clarification.

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#11re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 3:57pm

You dont think Donna deserved the Tony this year Balladeer?
She was second in picks, tying with Tonya.

TheBalladeer Profile Photo
TheBalladeer
#12re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 4:00pm

I thought that Donna was incredible too...but in comparison to the gravity of the roles that each of these three women played, I would have much rather see one of those three that I have mentioned win, before Donna. Although she worked her behind off in the role of Ruth Sherwood. I was completely impressed with her, in my humble opinion.

Cheers,
The Balladeer

"Someone tell the story...Someone sing the song...."

Alex The Gopher Profile Photo
Alex The Gopher
#13re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 4:38pm

-Corine2, Elphie

Which other songs from 'Caroline, or Change' do you think would have represtented the show better? I persaonally would like to have seen something that used more of the show's cast.

MargoChanning
#14re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 4:52pm

How about "1943" which features Caroline, Radio and the Washing Machine that comes early in Act II?

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#15re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 4:54pm

Personally, I thought Caroline or Change was incredibly boring when I saw it, but even I will say that there were better numbers to represent that show than Lots Wife.

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

wiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
#16re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 6:10pm

I thought Caroline or Change was extremely boring as well. I've never dozed off in the theatre before this show. I kept hearing things about the song Lot's life and after it happened I didn't realize that was the "show-stopper". There were nice parts but I was not impressed. I agree there were better songs they could have done to sell the show better.

Plum
#17re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 6:53pm

Watching the number a second time, I liked it better. I still think the song is amazing, and Pinkins was only off-key for the middle section. Even then her acting was great. And I can't put her down when she was so obviously putting her all into her performance, and hasn't been missing shows in Caroline.

JaiMonster Profile Photo
JaiMonster
#18re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 7:31pm

I have been reading posts all day criticizing Tonya's performance lastnight and it may just be me but I thought she was outstanding. Yes she is sick and cracked some but her acting was fierce! I found that Tonya nailed 90% of the song lastnight and a lot of the "problems" (i.e. screeching and yelling and off pitch) people had arent problems. See the show! I think they are acting choices made by her to add depth, levels and emotion to the character of Caroline. This song is the only time we get these things from Caroline, and she really just unravels and falls apart. There is one part where she is singing the the word flat over and over again and I believe on the last "flat" that Tonya purposely creates a dissonance with her notes and the music. (She clearly could sing this song perfectly the way its written on paper, but I think she choses to go beyond the step of singing it perfectly she embodies the character and what the character is feeling at that time and if you see the show Caroline definitely wouldn't be singing a pitch perfect flawless solo.) Try looking at her performance from that position (remember this is Tony Kushner's new character study "musical")and watch the tape again. Or better yet go see it, in context in the show and I guarantee you will be blown away. Tonya Pinkins is a sensational talent.

Jai

#19re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 7:41pm

If I came across as saying she did poorly, then I apologize. I tried to be clear that it was simply that I didn't appreciate it. And I agree, there may be many things that would change that impression by seeing the show, but it wasn't open yet when I was there for our spring theatre trip. Not all of us live in NY and have the opportunity to see everything. My major point was, however, that for those of us who only had that glimpse into the piece, her emoting didn't stand on its own out of context - and I certainly didn't get any sense whatsoever of what the piece as a whole was about.

BWayBoy88
#20re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 8:59pm

I thought Tonya did an amazing job. The energy she puts into that role is unbelievable. Yes her voice was a little weak last night but that doesnt surprise me. She is onstage for almost the whole show. She maybe has one or two spoken lines and the rest is singing. After 8 shows a week doing that much in the show I'm not surprised at all that her voice is a little weak. Plus I felt that it almost to the character. It was almost as if she was getting so worked up that she couldnt speak.

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#21re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 9:20pm

I saw Caroline, Or Change Saturday matinee and Tonya was very hoarse. I wondered how she was going to make it through the show I saw let alone Sat night, Sun, and then the Tony's. I think it's a very demanding role and she's a little tired. I appreciated the show. I fell asleep in the the first act which pissed me off, and I was 4th row center. I hate spending that kind of $$ to sleep. there are definitely good parts to the show...I was very happy anika won, and wished they would have had her perform. She is amazing in the show.

NYCbabe3789 Profile Photo
NYCbabe3789
#22re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 9:22pm

I saw her Sat. evening (5/29) and she was very hoarse then too. I assumed it was a character choice, but apparently not.

I love all of the music from CAROLINE OR CHANGE, but that song just doesn't work out of context. Those who hadn't seen the show really wouldn't have understood what the heck was going on.

Are there any plans to make a OBCR for CAROLINE?

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#23re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 9:25pm

I thought Tonya was good, but not at her best. i am probably the only person in the world who thinks this, but I don't like Donna murphy. It might just be the Wonderful Town music I dislike, but her voice bothers me...

jesseeinstein
#24re: 'Caroline, or Change' at the Tonys
Posted: 6/7/04 at 10:04pm

did anyone notiice how flat she was at certain parts of the song? I loved the song and can't wait for the cd, but she was siick.... one of the reasons that solos shouldn't be done at the tony's.

Videos