Biggest Miscast

Elphie Pingleton Profile Photo
Elphie Pingleton
#50ouch...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 10:26am

Joey Fatone in anyting-- it's bad enough he couldn't sing in n'sync now why does he have to not be able to sing on Broadway!

//Just to get my Name in LIGHTS//

BT Profile Photo
BT
#51ouch...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 10:27am

Kathy Lee Gifford in Putting it Together

I sing for myself. I sing when I want, whenever I want to, just for me. I sing for my own pleasure. Do you understand that?

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#52ouch...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 10:28am

Kathie Lee...that sounds so scary

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

FindingNamo
#53ouch...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 10:35am

I tried, but I just couldn't buy Avril Lavigne as Effie in Dreamgirls.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#54ouch...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 10:38am

I bet her rendition of I Am Telling You was truly fabulous.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

FindingNamo
#55ouch...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 10:39am

It had potential but she was singing in a fake British accent, which makes very little sense since she's Canadian.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#56ouch...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 10:39am

brilliant Namo

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#57KissMyCookie
Posted: 8/31/04 at 10:52am

I'm not sure how you can equate Nathan Lane's casting as Nathan Detroit to the level of bad casting specified elsewhere in this thread (David Hasselhoff et al). Lane played Detroit several times in his career, so apparently more than one casting director thought he was right for the part.

I thought his performance was right on. But then everyone is entitled to their opinion...so I won't try to convince you.

"Life is a lesson in humility"

Michael Strathmore Profile Photo
Michael Strathmore
#58KissMyCookie
Posted: 8/31/04 at 10:57am

Are you saying Canadians are supposed to have British accents?? That's the funniest thing I've heard all day!

Avril is from a small hick town of less than 5000 people. Not quite next to the Queen, there...

--M--

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#59KissMyCookie
Posted: 8/31/04 at 11:13am

SamIam: I'm only basing my replies on what I've seen. And Lane as Detroit was the weakest link out of the whole cast. But I will concede that he's not the worst miscast, compared to others who have already been mentioned and those yet to be...

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#60KissMyCookie
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:04pm

Adam Pascal - Aida
Jonathan Pryce - My Fair Lady (London)
Alan Thicke - Chicago (Tour)
Sandy Duncan and Martin Vidnovic - The King and I (Tour)
David Hasselhoff - Jekyll and Hyde
Mel B, Matt Caplan, Sebastian Arcelus (as Roger) and whoever played Angel in July - Rent
Lea Thompson - Cabaret (Tour)
Rex Smith - Kiss Me Kate (Tour)
John Davidson - Oklahoma (Tour)

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

CJR
#61KissMyCookie
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:11pm

I said this in the other thread, but I'll post it here as well....

I saw Alan Thicke as Billy... he's not nearly as bad as George Hamilton as Billy KissMyCookie

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#62KissMyCookie
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:41pm

Hands down, end of discussion, yes i know it was off broadway but it doesn't matter......Ally Sheedy in HEDWIG, it was just an abortion....

Also Sebastian Bach was awful in Rocky Horror, I also thought Terrance Mann was too old for Frank

Thank god I got to see both original casts or I would not have good memories of those shows

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#63KissMyCookie
Posted: 8/31/04 at 1:29pm

Tony Randall - The Music Man (tour)
June Havoc (the real dainty june) - Sweeney Todd (tour. No british accent)

Mister Matt
#64KissMyCookie
Posted: 8/31/04 at 1:33pm

"Ally Sheedy in HEDWIG, it was just an abortion"

An "ABORTION"? That makes no sense at all. If it was an abortion, then it means the performance was actually halted before it finished.

Perhaps you meant it was "abominable" (detestable or loathsome) or "an aberration" (though it is a common misuse of the word)

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#65KissMyCookie
Posted: 8/31/04 at 1:39pm

Hasselhoff, Hasslehoff, Hasslehoff Hasslehoff Hasslehoff Hasslehoff Hasslehoff, Hasslehoff, Hasslehoff, Hasslehoff, Hasslehoff, Hasslehoff, Hasslehoff, Hasslehoff, Hasslehoff, Hasslehoff, Hasslehoff, Hasslehoff, Hasslehoff, Hasslehoff, Hasslehoff, Hasslehoff, Hasslehoff, Hasslehoff, Hasslehoff, Hasslehoffvv

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#66KissMyCookie
Posted: 8/31/04 at 3:02pm

Eww I just can't see a female cast in the role of Hedwig, and then is Yitzhak played by a man? It just screws everything up creatively. Such a beautiful and awesmome show, too. MisterMatt, perhaps the poster called it an abortion as in it killed the performance?

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Che2be Profile Photo
Che2be
#67KissMyCookie
Posted: 8/31/04 at 3:24pm

Vanessa Williams INTO THE WOODS
Adam Pascal CABARET
Mel B RENT
Toni Braxton B&B and AIDA

broadwayguy2
#68KissMyCookie
Posted: 8/31/04 at 3:25pm

hasselhoff in anything.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#69KissMyCookie
Posted: 8/31/04 at 3:48pm

hey! lay off vanessa williams!

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#70KissMyCookie
Posted: 8/31/04 at 4:13pm

Yea, I actually like Vanessa. Wasn't Patti LuPone considered for that role? Thanks God it was Vanessa and not her!

Mister Matt
#71KissMyCookie
Posted: 8/31/04 at 4:19pm

Though I'm stepping into dangerous waters, for literal references, an "abortion" is to stop or end an activity already set in motion before it is completed (though "aborted" is more commonly used). If she "killed" the performance, then it would make sense to say it was a "murder" or "slaughter", but not an "abortion".

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#72KissMyCookie
Posted: 8/31/04 at 5:52pm

By abortion I meant it killed the show dead. Yitzak put it in motion and then Sheedy stepped out and killed the show. Yes the entire show was performed. Still had a female Yitzak and a male understudy for Sheedy, who stepped in quite a bit. The show was just awful. If I hadn't brought someone I would have walked out.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#73KissMyCookie
Posted: 8/31/04 at 5:57pm

I thought Vanessa was absolutley EXCELLENT in Into The Woods...
Mistermatt- You best be runnin' your gunna get slaughtered for saying Adam Pascal was miscast in Aida.

ilurveJRB Profile Photo
ilurveJRB
#74KissMyCookie
Posted: 8/31/04 at 6:03pm

I thought Matthew Broderick was awful as Harold Hill in the Music Man movie on Disney. He lacked energy and was not exciting in the role.

I also thought Toni Braxton was awful in Aida but maybe I saw her on a bad day...she just "cried" through all the songs, she wasn't even singing!