Wicked September 1st Review

Merrydothe Profile Photo
Merrydothe
#0Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/6/04 at 4:22pm

Forgot to post this until now, but here it goes anyway. Third time seeing the show, this past Wednesday, lovely as always, just wanted to give a brief overview. Here goes:

Idina-seemed a little off tonight. She was doing a lot of throat clearing, before the big numbers, and even went into a huge coughing fit right before Defying Gravity. Seemed to be preparing for the big moments or something, productive coughs? I also noticed that she literally gasps for air, loud gasps when shes singing. Definitely can't be good for her. I was worried she wasn't going to be able to get all of the notes, and might have a Tony night replay but she ended up singing wonderfully! After all it was a Wednesday, two shows in one day has to be killer. And as a side note, I think Eden's voice is a bit stronger and more solid than Idina's. Saw Eden in the role back on the 26th of June-that girl holds her own, and adds a little more spunk and excitement to Elphaba than Idina, a freshness almost.

Jennifer Laura Thompson-wow I was totally floored by her performance! Her voice is absolutely flawless-she has the wondeful abilty to mix up high just like Kristin, and in my opinion was better in some ways. She makes singing all those parts look so easy, and adds a lot more to the part than Kristin did in my humble opinion. She also threw in some really great little add libs during Popular "is this thing on? Have to change the battery!" "Ooo Pink goes good with Green!" She is perfect, and I dont think anyone could ask for a better star replacement, if thats what we have to call her. Shes excellent.

Joey McIntyre-Can't say that he was horrible, and can't say that he was amazing either. She seemed to be straining to sing a lot of the notes in Dancing Through Life-you could basically see the veins popping out of his neck he was reaching so hard. His acting is good, a bit blah, but overall he was fine. And the fact that they had to lower his section of "As Long as Youre Mine" seemed like a serious cop out if you ask me. I just prefer Norbert.

George Hearn-I'm a big fan of his performance in Sweeney Todd, maybe he should stick to playing murdering hair dressers from now on. Hes good, and certainly has a wonderful bass/baritone voice-adds a sort of maturity or "James Earl Jones" quality to the Wizard. He doesn't do much on stage, kind of just stands there and sings, but I'd agree he doesn't seem like much of a dancer. I like him overall but I agree when someone else said Sean McCourt was the best Wizard.

Thanks for reading!

FindingNamo
#1re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/6/04 at 5:11pm

Sounds grate. Wish I could of seen it. I never heard anybody mention Idina gasping before. Are you sure you didn't imagine it?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

megannn33
#2re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/6/04 at 5:14pm

i heard that idina gasps for air from my friend also.

yea.. that was random lol

POLisPOL Profile Photo
POLisPOL
#3re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/6/04 at 5:20pm

I love this board! you can remake your messages often!!!
lol

POST THIS WICKED STUFF IN THE ALL-PURPOSE WICKED THREAD.
btw, find something more inteligent than the typical: "wicked is on broadway" blah blah blah

Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!

NuggetMonkeys Profile Photo
NuggetMonkeys
#4re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/6/04 at 5:24pm

I know, right, POL?
oyyyyy.
Look at me, I am OY-ing and I am a Gentile.
Oy, us Goyem...
-d.b.j-

Vary My Days.

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#5re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/6/04 at 5:34pm

honestly, what IS it with the daily Wicked review?

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#6re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/6/04 at 6:21pm

i noticed idina's loud gasping during her Tony performance. watch it again and before long you'll be focusing on her gasping rather than her singing.

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#7re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/6/04 at 6:37pm

I think it must be something that singing the score night after night has done to her. I saw the show in early january of this year and my ex saw it in previews and neither of us noticed her gasping for air. The first time I noticed her gasping for air was on the TONYS and that I heard was because she was rushed and not warmed up. Honestly if the score is hurting her voice I wouldn't be surprised. It is very challenging vocally. Also as much as I loved the show, the score is constantly trying to climb to heights that never end vocally and that much of a competition on your chords can't be good. (if this makes no sense I appologize as it is 6:30 on labor day and I have been drinking since noon!)

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#8re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/6/04 at 6:58pm

I see nothing wrong with posting a review of the show. The threads that bother me are "Does Idina come out and sign?!" "Who's replacing Idina?" "JLT better than Cheno?!" "Eden rocks!" "Are Idina and Kristin friends?!" "What did Idina have for lunch today?!"

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#9re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/6/04 at 7:02pm

Reviews are fine. If you don't care to read them, don't read them.

cjoyce
#10re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/6/04 at 9:48pm

If you are tired of hearing complaints about Wicked posts, I suggest that, in addition to posting to the thread, we start PMing everyone who complains or suggests that we use the "all-purpose" thread. Is there any other show that has an "all-purpose thread?" That idea stinks!!! I believe in our freedom of speech!!! If you don't want to read it...don't click the link. How difficult is that to comprehend?

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#11re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/6/04 at 9:50pm

^^^^^^^^^ FEISTY ONE HUH?

POLisPOL Profile Photo
POLisPOL
#12re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/6/04 at 9:55pm

It's a privilege to pee. on you.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#13re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/6/04 at 10:03pm

Why is it so important for everything Wicked to be on one thread? There is nothing wrong with a review.

Again, "reviews are fine. If you don't care to read them, don't read them."

Please tell me where you see a rule that restricts a show to a thread.

Thanks for the review! Glad to know JLT is amazing in the role. re: Wicked September 1st Review

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

POLisPOL Profile Photo
POLisPOL
#14re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/6/04 at 10:04pm

millie, your icon is scary.
I want to run and hide

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#15re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/6/04 at 10:05pm

There is a bigger one in my album.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

POLisPOL Profile Photo
POLisPOL
#16re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/6/04 at 10:07pm

Oh! I don't want to see that.

b-way buff Profile Photo
b-way buff
#17re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/6/04 at 10:13pm

the 2 lines u clain r adlibed are actually part of the show. i know this becasue i was there for chenos final performance and she said both of those lines as well. as far as i know performers in shows like wicked dont adlib in the shows!!

Forget regret

Derek2
#18re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/6/04 at 11:10pm

Thanks for the review. I see nothing wrong with posting a review on a show. People do it for Dracula, Aida...every show lol. Anyway, when I saw the show she was caughing before Defying Gravity. I think she does that for effect, I mean Glinda mentions that shes trembling and gives her the cape. She does casp a lot lol. Now that I think of it, many big broadway divas gasp. Take Jennifer Holliday. Idina always takes me off my feet at every performance I see her in. And you're right, JLT is amazing. I have a huge crush re: Wicked September 1st Review

Becky
#19re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/6/04 at 11:32pm

I think it must be something that singing the score night after night has done to her.

Not necessarily. Saw her Saturday night, and she was solid and flawless - not any "gasping" at all (have seen her 6 times over the last year and haven't heard her really "gasp" except for the Tonys). She was doing rifs I hadn't heard and seemed to be singing with little effort.

Really quick - Jennifer L. T. was a perfect Glinda - couldn't have asked for anything more from her. Both she and Kristin really found their own way with the character (neither is better or worse - just different) and I loved J.L.T's character choices. She totally *gets* the character. I thought Joe did a great job - both vocally and with his acting. I was very pleased with the 'new cast'.
Updated On: 9/7/04 at 11:32 PM

Ebonic_Singer
#20re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/7/04 at 12:54am

Yeah--those two lines definately are scripted.

wickedfan2 Profile Photo
wickedfan2
#21re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/7/04 at 11:28am

Thanks for posting. I enjoy reading reviews...and I HATE all purpose threads... :0(

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#22re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/7/04 at 11:47am

Why do I get the distinct feeling, and I'm sure Namo had the same hunch, that Merrydothe posted for the exclusive reason to Shill BKLYN and Espinosa, yet again, and in an all new way? Dunno, just an educated guess.

Meanwhile, why exactly, are the keys so high in Wicked? They can stand to lower the keys and leave you thinking the girls were awesome and amazing singers, nontheless. I'm never impressed by screeching for the sake of EGO, both on the composer and vocalists' part. None of those songs would suffer a bit, if they were in slightly lower keys. It might actually spare Menzel, (whom if I recall correctly, was straining to hit the notes on the OBC of Rent), from that nonsensical breathing issue she has. Maybe it was La Cheno's doing?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#23re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/7/04 at 12:22pm

When I saw her on the 28th, the Matinee. Idina was flawless. No gasping like the Tony's, and believe me I was paying attention. And her Gravity, Deed, and Wizard were all flawless, especially her Gravity. She hit the notes perfectly. And she coughed too during Gravity, It seems like she does that a lot lately.

Becky
#24re: Wicked September 1st Review
Posted: 9/7/04 at 1:05pm

ljay889, I agree with you. She sounded as strong as ever this week. She also coughed at my performance before Gravity started, so I'm guessing it's not a rare thing.

Videos