pixeltracker

Questions You Want to Ask, But Are Afraid To

Questions You Want to Ask, But Are Afraid To

mizzie Profile Photo
mizzie
#0Questions You Want to Ask, But Are Afraid To
Posted: 12/15/04 at 9:41pm

I'm pretty sure there has been a topic on this before, but I couldn't find it tonight, and from what I remember it was very long, so I decided to create another one. So, what is the question that you really want to ask, but were too afraid to ask?
Mine is this: What on earth is a revival?
*looks around cautiously*

jjdude2000
#1re: Questions You Want to Ask, But Are Afraid To
Posted: 12/15/04 at 9:44pm

Ok. A revival is basically when a show is brought back from having closed previously. So, for example, the last run of GYPSY closed in the early '90's, but a new production opened in 2003. That is a revival.

Grace: I just gave a quarter to a homeless man. I think it was Johnny Depp.

lostwallflower Profile Photo
lostwallflower
#2re: Questions You Want to Ask, But Are Afraid To
Posted: 12/15/04 at 9:45pm

A revival is a new production of a show that has been previously produced. Gypsy was on Broadway before, and a revival of it was put on recently.

"I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber. Please don't take me to the pickle farm."- Brak

LaeloftheLakes Profile Photo
LaeloftheLakes
#3re: Questions You Want to Ask, But Are Afraid To

A revival is when a show that has been on Broadway and has closed returns to Broadway in a new production.

"I am special, I am special! Please, God, please, don't let me be normal!" ---Louisa, The Fantasticks
---
---
Intolerant of intolerance.

lostwallflower Profile Photo
lostwallflower
#4re: Questions You Want to Ask, But Are Afraid To

JJ...it's scary that we just used the same example.

"I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber. Please don't take me to the pickle farm."- Brak

jjdude2000
#5re: Questions You Want to Ask, But Are Afraid To
Posted: 12/15/04 at 9:46pm

:)

Grace: I just gave a quarter to a homeless man. I think it was Johnny Depp.

JMVR Profile Photo
JMVR
#6re: Questions You Want to Ask, But Are Afraid To
Posted: 12/16/04 at 4:52am

But now there is a trend to call revivals "revisals" because so much of the book and staging is redone. For example the Sam Mendes "Cabaret" which is substantially different from the original production on Broadway.

Now my question __ how is the "transformation"effect acomplished in Band the B? is the Beast already out fo makeup when he lies down in the castle before the effect takes place??

The meat is always leaner on somebody else's dinner plate!

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#7re: Questions You Want to Ask, But Are Afraid To
Posted: 12/16/04 at 5:26am

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's a body double.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#8re: Questions You Want to Ask, But Are Afraid To
Posted: 12/16/04 at 6:32am

similar to the Witches transformation in Into The Woods, I suppose?

munkustrap178
#9re: Questions You Want to Ask, But Are Afraid To
Posted: 12/16/04 at 6:34am

Right, that's what I was thinking.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#10re: Questions You Want to Ask, But Are Afraid To
Posted: 12/16/04 at 9:12am

My question is:
How the hell did Producers buy into the whole Dracula idea, and how did it get on Broadway? And why are people still trusting in Frank Wildhorn's awful music?

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

munkustrap178
#11re: Questions You Want to Ask, But Are Afraid To
Posted: 12/16/04 at 9:17am

The Dodgers CLEARLY need to take another look at where their money is going. I am a fan of Wildhorn's THE CIVIL WAR, JEKYLL, and PIMPERNEL, but DRACULA is just ghastly. Terrible. The Dodgers shouldn't have even touched that piece of garbage, and put their money back into BARE - something amazing.

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#12re: Questions You Want to Ask, But Are Afraid To
Posted: 12/16/04 at 1:14pm

About the B and B question- The beast that is on stage during the fight is a body double. While the fight is going on The actual actor playing the beast is having his prostetics ripped off his face so that he can get back on stage at time.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#13re: Questions You Want to Ask, But Are Afraid To
Posted: 12/16/04 at 1:23pm

When is Idina leaving?

Does she sign autographs after matinees?

Who's replacing her?

Can I still get tickets pleeeeaaaasssse?

Hey! Does anyone know if BKLYN still has any tickets available? It's a really, really, really awesome show at like, 90% capacity, and I heard they're PAYING people to sit in their audience but I wasn't sure! (BKLYN IN DA BLOOD, Y'ALL!)

PLEASE someone answer this for me. I couldn't find this information ANYWHERE!!!

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

Love4Cheno Profile Photo
Love4Cheno
#14re: Questions You Want to Ask, But Are Afraid To
Posted: 12/16/04 at 1:21pm

Hahahaha TypeATiff

http://preppylife.tumblr.com/

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#15re: Questions You Want to Ask, But Are Afraid To
Posted: 12/16/04 at 1:25pm

Down, girl. re: Questions You Want to Ask, But Are Afraid To

A work of art is an invitation to love.

OtherDaryl Profile Photo
OtherDaryl
#16re: Questions You Want to Ask, But Are Afraid To
Posted: 12/16/04 at 2:37pm

A "revival" is traditionally any new production of a previously produced script. However, in recent years these have fallen into a variety of categories, especially when referring to musicals.

There have been Broadway revivals of My Fair Lady Hello Dolly, A Chorus Line, The King and I, Gypsy and others that have essentially recreated the original Broadway production (sets, costumes, choreography and, in some cases, casting).

Occassionally, as noted in the thread, an older vehicle will be revised due to dated or other-wise out of fashion material - sometimes substantially. Flower Drum Song comes to mind - the book was reworked or perhaps Crazy for You - which became a "new" musical, but was really a major revision of Girl Crazy.

There are also completely new, often highly illuminating productions of classic texts: Guys and Dolls, Most Happy Fella, Carousel and Oklahoma.

There is also the hybrid revue such as Fosse or Jerome Robbins' Broadway. These productions revive individual sequences from previously produced material. In the case of Fosse, these were simply recreations of Fosse's choreography and with the Robbins' piece, entire sequences were recreated including sets and costuming. Note that each of these were considered "new" musicals" during their runs.

As far as straight plays go, any production after the original staging is considered a revival, though it may be a regional or local premiere.

"Love Life. Live." Michael Bennett

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#17re: Questions You Want to Ask, But Are Afraid To
Posted: 12/16/04 at 2:50pm

When my dog is sleeping and she then begins to make little barking noises and fidgets and stuff... is she having a nightmare or is she having a good dream? Should I gently wake her up or just let her be? thanks.

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#18re: Questions You Want to Ask, But Are Afraid To
Posted: 12/16/04 at 5:47pm

CATS, i wanna ask the same thing ... about my boyfriend.

RIP glebby <3

Videos