Sondheim suggestions

GirlfriendFromCanada
#0Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 11:47am

I've recently become very interested in Sondheim's work, though I (sadly) have no full cast recordings of any of his shows. I'm really only familiar with Assassins, and would love to become more familiar with his work and am disappointed in myself for being as uneducated about him as I currently am. What would some of you suggest as the first cast recording of his I should get? I'm thinking Company or Sweeney Todd, but I'd like some input from those who have been fans for awhile and are more knowledgable about his shows.

MichaelCassara Profile Photo
MichaelCassara
#1re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 11:49am

Oh, I would say buy the original Broadway cast recording of MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG. Be sure to get the original cast first, though, and not either of the revival recordings... The cover has a Hirschfeld of the show, with Sondheim's picture in the center of it. But, there's really not a bad place to start - it all depends on what you respond to. I would strongly suggest starting with the original cast recordings, before you get revival casts, however.

BrdwayBaby
#2re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 11:56am

west side story..thoughhe only wrote the lyrics, company would be good, sweeny todd, follies is amazing, a funny thing happened on the way to the forum, pacific overtures...its really hard to go wrong with sondheim. i do agree, however, in getting the original cast recordings, with a few exceptions, because then you see how sondheim originally intended it to go. however, people do make mistakes, so some of the revivals are really the antithesis of hiw work.

"Gimme Gimme That Thing Called Love"

GirlfriendFromCanada
#3re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 11:57am

Thanks so far! I should specify that I'm more interested in the Sondheim composed shows, moreso than the ones he just wrote lyrics for (a la Gypsy, West Side Story, Forum). I'm more familiar with those as it is, but I love his musical style, hence part of the sudden interest.

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#4re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 12:12pm

the original into the woods (avoid the revival)...probably one of his most well written shows.

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#5re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 12:14pm

Sweeney Todd
Into the Woods
Company

then:

Assassins
Sunday in the Park With George
Passion

then:

A Little Night Music
Pacific Overtures
Merrily We Roll Along

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

broadwaynut20
#6re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 12:17pm

girlfriendfromcanada sondheim did write both lyrics and music for forum. and i may be in the majority on this one but the revival cast of into the woods is just as good as the original Updated On: 1/11/05 at 12:17 PM

jackson992
#7re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 12:27pm

His only good 2 shows were Into the Woods and Passion:)

pab Profile Photo
pab
#8re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 12:38pm

"His only good 2 shows were Into the Woods and Passion:)"

And if you believe that I have bridge for sale.

Get "Sweeney Todd" you will not be disappointed. It is his best followed very closely by SITPWG.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

jackson992
#9re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 12:44pm

blech how can you like those two shows. I turn the sound down every time they come on Broadway Radio LOL

GirlfriendFromCanada
#10re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 12:53pm

It is actually some exposure to those two that have peaked my interest. I only know brief bits of them, but good stuff, it seems.

dancindramadude Profile Photo
dancindramadude
#11re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 1:26pm

I love Into The Woods and Pacific Overtures. In fact Pacific is on Broadway right now and it is amazing, but to a lot of people they dont like it because they dont understand Japanese theatre (Kabuki,Bunraku, and Noh); cause the direction is very Japanese. But definatly, it is hard to go wrong with Sondheim

felineofavenueb Profile Photo
felineofavenueb
#12re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 1:37pm

You're a brave, brave person, Jackson992, to suggest that there are only 2 good Sondheim shows...

Rose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
#13re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 1:41pm

I would pick "Sweeney Todd," but it's my favorite Sondheim show, so I'm biased...

http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/

WISHIHADATONY Profile Photo
WISHIHADATONY
#14re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 1:45pm

COMPANY or FOLLIES

"Blow out the candles Robert and make a wish. Want something, want SOMETHING."

pab Profile Photo
pab
#15re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 1:51pm

"You're a brave, brave person, Jackson992, to suggest that there are only 2 good Sondheim shows..."

Brave is actually not the word that I would use.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

BWayBoy88
#16re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 2:59pm

Sweeney Todd and Into the Woods(Go with the OBCR-the revival in my opinion is no where close to as good as the OBC was) are my two favorite Sondheim shows. I am not familiar with SITPWG or A Little Night Music but I have heard great things about both shows.

seasons of love Profile Photo
seasons of love
#17re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 4:29pm

hmmm..... first of all, i'd buy all origionl broadway cast recordings for sondheim shows

i agree with mister matt, in terms of my reccomendations, but i'd tag FOLLIES into the second group....

:) you'll love sondheim even more.....

"I am unfinished- I am diminished With or without you..."

#18re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 4:33pm

Sweeney Todd is brilliance. The end.

Into the Woods is also wonderful. (Original Cast)

jim coleman
#19re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 4:37pm

You really can't go wrong with any of his works. It has been my pleasure to conduct many of his shows, and it is hard to pick a favorite. The favorite one is usually the one you are doing at the time. Give them all a listen, you won't be sorry.

BatonMan

misterchoi
#20re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 6:09pm

Merrily We Roll along, Sweeney Todd, Passion, Saturday Night

Not my favess(all of them) but a great taster.

"Yesterday is done. See the pretty countryside. Merrily we roll along, roll along- catching at dreams."- Merrily we roll along "The living was the prize, the ending's not the story."- Elegies, a song cycle

orchajaws Profile Photo
orchajaws
#21re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 6:20pm

"Sunday in the Park with George" is the best Sondheim musical by far.

BroadwayBound06 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound06
#22re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 6:27pm

Why the Marrily OBC? I heard the original which was a mess. I got the Off B-way revival with Malcolm Gets, and it's WONDERFUL deffinatly pick it up. But his overall works? Anything you get by him is a good choice, just depends on what you're looking for.

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#23re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 6:27pm

Do a search for Sondheim on this board and you'll find a number of such threads asking about cast recordings.

It's tough to choose because you could spend a lifetime studying Sondheim and the complexity of his work and still find new things in it every time you come back to a piece.

Among the best 'Sunday in the Park with George', 'A Little Night Music' the original cast recording of 'Assassins', etc etc etc.

"Life is a lesson in humility"

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#24re: Sondheim suggestions
Posted: 1/11/05 at 6:43pm

I would suggest ANY of Sondheim's work, you will not be disapointed!!

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

Videos