Remembering JL

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#0Remembering JL
Posted: 1/24/05 at 6:59pm

Just thought I'd take a moment to remind everyone that tomorrow marks the 9th Anniversary of Jonathan Larsons untimely death. We truely lost one of the greats Remembering JL In 11 days, he would have been 45 years old...Wow how time flies. I'll definetely be wearing my RENT shirt tomorrow!

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#1re: Remembering JL
Posted: 1/24/05 at 7:02pm

Time does fly. It seems like only yesterday I was in junior high and hearing Rent for the first time on the Tonys. Wow. Unless I'm wrong, there was a review printed when Tick, Tick Boom came out, and it said was "God, Johnathan Larson was good." Indeed. :)

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2re: Remembering JL
Posted: 1/24/05 at 7:02pm

*cries*
I knew it was coming up this week, so thanks.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 1/24/05 at 07:02 PM

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#3re: Remembering JL
Posted: 1/24/05 at 7:05pm

re: Remembering JL This is sad.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#4re: Remembering JL
Posted: 1/24/05 at 7:08pm

Thanks for reminding us...

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#5re: Remembering JL
Posted: 1/24/05 at 7:29pm

Can you only imagine what how he would have followed up RENT? It would have been one hell of a task and I only wish I could have seen what he would have come up with.

Akiva

luvtheEmcee
#6re: Remembering JL
Posted: 1/24/05 at 7:31pm

That phone message in Tick, Tick... BOOM! from Sondheim saying that he sees great things in Jonathan's future... it breaks my heart.

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#7re: Remembering JL
Posted: 1/24/05 at 7:37pm

Tick, tick...BOOM! is FINALLY coming to Canada and I cannot wait to see it. Me and my friends are so exctied.

Akiva

luvtheEmcee
#8re: Remembering JL
Posted: 1/24/05 at 7:41pm

ahhh, it's beautiful.

dancingthroughlife008 Profile Photo
dancingthroughlife008
#9re: Remembering JL
Posted: 1/24/05 at 8:33pm

Truly an amazing and gifted composer...an incredible loss. I join you in wearing my rent shirt with pride tomorrow. Ahhh it's too sad...I can't think about it. R.I.P. J-Lar.

"Because what is more like love than the ocean? You can play in it, drown in it. It can be clear and bright enough to hurt your eyes, or covered in fog; hidden behind a curve of road, and then suddenly there in full glory. Its waves come like breaths, in and out, in and out, body stretched to forever in its possibilities, and yet its heart lies deep, not fully knowable, inconceivably majestic."

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#10re: Remembering JL
Posted: 1/24/05 at 8:37pm

RIP Jon

Just imagine the kind of stuff this incredible man would be writing today.

Phantom Chicken Profile Photo
Phantom Chicken
#11re: Remembering JL
Posted: 1/24/05 at 8:53pm

R.I.P. John
Your work will inspire us on and on

May we never forget
The man who created the timeless show Rent,
and tick...tick...BOOM! though less known
We all know that the theatre it honed

(not my best)

I'll also wear my Rent shirt....

"I think Harvey [Fierstein] wishes he were a black woman. I say he's the largest black woman in the show. I wish Harvey were straight, cuz I'd do him in a minute. I like big burly mother f***ers like him." ~Mary Bond Davis on Harvey Fierstein Thanks to Mistress @ spouzic.com

#12re: Remembering JL
Posted: 1/24/05 at 9:07pm

I forgot about this! (bad Rent fan!) To the most divine composer of his time.

StraightToHeaven
#13re: Remembering JL
Posted: 1/24/05 at 10:08pm

When ttB came here, in a review it said something to the effect of if Sondheim had died the same age Jonathan Larson did there would be no Company, Follies, Sweeny Todd, Sunday in the Park With George, Into the Woods, etc. Makes one sad to think of the great shows Larson could have written... RIP.

karlean7 Profile Photo
karlean7
#14re: Remembering JL
Posted: 1/25/05 at 1:01am

Right now, I'm listening to "Seasons Of Love" and "Without You" in as many languages as possible (about 10) and lit candles.

Jonathan Larson

Gone, but never forgotten.

ThePrinceOfHumbug
#15re: Remembering JL
Posted: 1/25/05 at 2:07am

Jonathan filled out hearts, touched our souls and personally changed my life through this music and work. May his message live within all of us and we live each day to it's fullest. That is how we can truely honor him!

Peace!

Pat

Talk Hard. Steal the Air. H.H.H.

ReNtHeAd04
#16re: Remembering JL
Posted: 1/25/05 at 10:10am

my rent shirt is goin on now...

rip!!

"maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away" -sex and the city

iheartmark
#17re: Remembering JL
Posted: 1/25/05 at 10:25am

Jon was amazing- RIP *joins people in wearing RENT shirts*

"Kali, why is Roger on a cliff?" "Because the cliff is love, Rachel." "Oh."

felineofavenueb Profile Photo
felineofavenueb
#18re: Remembering JL
Posted: 1/25/05 at 2:47pm

I can't help but think of the short clip on the Broadway: The American Musical series that had Jonathan Larson singing "One Song Glory." It was absoutely stunning, and so sad!

To think what he would've done if he'd had more time...

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#19re: Remembering JL
Posted: 1/25/05 at 4:14pm

I said it in the other thread, but this deserves to be said a second time: RIP, Jon. Thank you for RENT and TTB and the messages that each have and the lives that they've touched.

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

BwayTheatre11
#20re: Remembering JL
Posted: 1/25/05 at 4:47pm

How ironic...I wore my RENT shirt today...

RIP, Jonathan. Your production changed my life forever.

CCM '10!

Videos