pixeltracker

VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!

VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!

adamized88 Profile Photo
adamized88
#0VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/27/05 at 7:54pm

just a reminder that Dirty Rotten Scoundrels will be performing on the Today show in the 8:30 half hour!!

"Nothing is an accident, We are free to have it all, We are what we want to be, It's in ourselves to rise or fall!!" - "Fortune Favors the Brave" from Aida - the love that never died

musicalmjk Profile Photo
musicalmjk
#1re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 12:56am

bump

need to defrag my brain.

Chrysanthemum62001
#2re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 12:57am

This is one of the times I hate not having a television.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#3re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 1:03am

Missed it. What did they perform?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#4re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 1:39am

they're performing today (friday) according to the today show site

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

thespian geek Profile Photo
thespian geek
#5re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 1:44am

From the DRS newsletter:

"The cast of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels will appear live on The Today Show this Friday the 28th during the 8:30am half-hour. John Lithgow and Norbert Leo Butz will perform "Dirty Rotten Number" LIVE and in full costume, while David Yazbek plays with the HOT Scoundrels Band. This will be preceded by a brief interview with Ann Curry. Don't miss it!"

dancersmom2 Profile Photo
dancersmom2
#6re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 3:54am

From the Today website (emphasis mine):

Actors John Lithgow and NORMAN Leo Butz perform a song live in the studio from their new Broadway musical "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels."

thespian geek
#7re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 4:06am

Oh god, NORMAN? That's worse than his actual name..

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#8re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 4:31am

my guide on the digital cable says Norbert. re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!

ShiksaGoddess2 Profile Photo
ShiksaGoddess2
#9re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 7:04am

Just an hour and a half till Norbie time!!!!! My vcr better not screw up on me.

"Rap stars will love me..... I get me a posse and shit, aiite."

thespian geek
#10re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 8:12am

The things I do for people I love. Haha. I've only gotten 2 1/2 hours of sleep so far. I'm up so I can tape the segment without taping the entire show... gaaaah. *Feels braindead*

broadwayguy2001
#11re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 8:29am

Amen Thespian! But it is all so worth it just to see this first little glimpse of John and Norbert. :)

Yankeefan007
#12re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 8:53am

diiiiiiiiiirty roooooooooootten guuuuuuuuuuuuuuys liiiiiiiike usssssssssssssss.......great performance

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#13re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 8:55am

No Sherie????

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

BroadwayBound06 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound06
#14re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:05am

I MISSED IT. My dad turned it to CBS and when I turned it back it was over. re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!! I hope I can find a clip somewhere online. Does the Today Show put preformances on their website?

thespian geek
#15re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:08am

No idea.. hopefully someone will get it online, though.

It *still* hasn't come on here. Damn stupid living in the central timezone. I have another 35 minutes to go until it's on.

sipos
#16re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:15am

Really Liked it. Very THE FULL MONTYish. Jazzy Yazbek style. Norbert has confidence!! Adorable. John Lithgow is fine. Not a well-balanced song for the two (but I have a feeling Lithgow gets the spotlight especially on a tv spot because he is Lithgow). I thought it was going to be some kind of 'physical' routine, but not really at all. The number is a wrap up/look back of their experience together, and it's about the lyrics. Updated On: 1/28/05 at 09:15 AM

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#17re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:20am

I'm so excited. Seven hours to go in Sydney.

thespian geek
#18re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:24am

So "Dirty Rotten Number" is their big duet from Act 2 I've been hearing about? Right on..

(but I have a feeling Lithgow gets the spotlight especially on a tv spot because he is Lithgow)

That reminds me of a quote I read in a review from when the show was in San Diego. Someone said that, yes, John Lithgow is the box office draw but Norbert is the one to watch. re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!

Blair
#19re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:26am

Arg, I have to wait until I get home from school to watch. I can't wait! It sounds amazing!

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#20re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:29am

The song was smart, sophisticated, and sounded exactly like MONTY. That's fine, it's the Yazbek signature style, but the musical idiom seems precisely the same.

Anyone think Butz has gained a considerable amount of weight (for this role? Because of the back surgery? Because he quit smoking?) He was wonderful, but I was startled to see the round face.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

sipos
#21re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:33am

yup (to Thespian Geek). And I have nothing against Lithgow, but he assumed too similar a character persona in this as his Hunsecker in SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS.

You'd hate the way you look on tv too because the camera does adds the appearance of 'pounds'. He looks fit. I think the white-beige tones and the hat made his face look rounder. Updated On: 1/28/05 at 09:33 AM

thespian geek
#22re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:33am

He quit smoking? I didn't know that.

I think he gained it for the role, personally. But I could be wrong. But yeah.. it's been noted that he's a tad, um, chubbier. re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!

ETA: That totally made my morning. Nothing quite like Norbert to start the day. Ha. Updated On: 1/28/05 at 09:33 AM

sipos
ShiksaGoddess2 Profile Photo
ShiksaGoddess2
#24re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!!
Posted: 1/28/05 at 10:13am

I LOVED IT!!! Too bad Norbert didn't sing that last high high note, but who would? 8:30 is still way to early to do that. And he sounded amazing. I am so excited for this show. I just wish my screen wasn't jumping up and down the whole time, something is wrong with our cable i think re: VCR Alert!!! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on the Today Show!! . But the performance just made my dad. *goes to watch it again*

"Rap stars will love me..... I get me a posse and shit, aiite."

Videos