Show Dissapointment?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#25re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/14/05 at 9:27pm

Hmm...

Not a dissopointment but BKLYN wasnt as bad as a excpected it to be. I guess the opposite of a dissapointment.

Avenue Q. It was just ok. No big deal here, IMO. And this was BEFORE Wicked.

The Phantom of the Opera. My grandma took me to see it and she had seen it 5 times before and LOVED it and since it was such a gigantically popular show, I was expecting so much more.

Chicago. It was nothing compared to the phenomenal movie.

loganp37 Profile Photo
loganp37
#26re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/14/05 at 9:33pm

I disagree with Hairspray. I thought it was great. I saw the first national tour (still touring) with the understudy Keela Settle. She is was really great and brought alot to the character. I think she is the full-time Tracey now, so if you get a chance to see her in it, go. I was not dissapointed with Rent at all. I loved the show, just being a light renthead I just thought it would be sooo different. But I loved both shows very much. Should I be cautious of Chicago on stage, I enjoyed the movie, but does the stage show cut it?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#27re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/14/05 at 9:36pm

The stage version is still great but its nothing compared to the movie. Theyre so unbelievably different in the staging, costumes, sets, etc. Different in a good way, though. Just dont expect it to be a clone of the movie like I did.

You should go see it, nonetheless.

Chote887 Profile Photo
Chote887
#28re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/14/05 at 9:38pm

I was quite dissapointed with the Lion King.

There were several visually stunning scenes, but there were many scenes in the show that were almost bland, such as Hakuna Matata.

Othere scenes, such as I just can't wait to be King, were almost foolish in their presentation.

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#29re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/14/05 at 9:44pm

I was SO disappointed with Thoroughly Modern Millie. I had only heard amazing things about it, and I thought I was going to love it. It's one of my least favorite shows. I didn't see what the big deal was.

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

CatatonicBohoGirl Profile Photo
CatatonicBohoGirl
#30re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/14/05 at 9:54pm

I saw a school edition of Les Miz done by a local community and loved it. After that, I instantly booked tickets to for the tour; thinking it would be ten times better. It wasn't.

And excuse me if I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but Susan's directing the film version of The Producers, isn't she?

"I would dance in the moon; pale as a fading star that quickly falls from veiw-" Lucy, Dracul

Rose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
#31re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/14/05 at 9:56pm

I was very disappointed in "The Lion King." I saw it on tour and, with the exception of the opening number, I was alternately bored out of my mind and felt like my intelligence was being insulted. It felt like a kid's show with nothing to entertain adults. Considering how so many people raved about it, I left feeling very shortchanged.

http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#32re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/14/05 at 9:59pm

Phantom and The Producers.

thirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
#33re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/14/05 at 10:17pm

The Producers

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#34re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/14/05 at 10:31pm

Do you really think those shows weren't good.
I haven't seen The Producers (I will in March) but:
AIDA: I thought was pretty good, it wasn't what I had imagined but when I saw it I thought it was 10x better than what I thought.
POTO: NO COMMENT (MY FAVORITE SHOW, LOVE IT)
RENT: Just what I had thought it would be and was moved by it.
JEKYLL AND HYDE: LOVE THE CD, Hate the staging( EWWWW)
GREASE: Like the movie.....absolutly hate the stage show.
LSOH: I liked it.
WICKED: NO COMMENT ( ANOTHER FAVOFRITE )

Facebook...ME !!!

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#35re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/14/05 at 10:44pm

The recent revival of NIGHT MOTHER did absolutely nothing for me. It should have been brilliant, considering the pedigreed cast and Pulitzer Prize winning text, but it was just not as magical as the original.

SIXTEEN WOUNDED also left me cold. Some good acting (esp. Omar Metwally), but not a very good show overall.

Never expected much from BROOKLYN, but it was much worse than I ever thought it could be.

THE GOOD BODY was dumb and dull.

The Encores! production of BYE BYE BIRDIE, with the exception of Karen Ziemba as Rosie, was not good at all. Doris Roberts was awful, and seemed like she was just thrown in so that they could promote it with a big name star.

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#36re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/14/05 at 10:46pm

Mamma Mia...and my expectations were already low before seeing it. Same with Fiddler with Harvey. John Cariani and Andrea were great but the rest was a disappointment

Plum
#37re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/14/05 at 10:49pm

The Phantom of the Opera was a huge, huge disappointment for me. If we're talking more recent stuff, Last Easter was kind of a disappointment after Frozen.

melissa errico fan
#38re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/14/05 at 10:50pm

I've seen MAMMA MIA twice-with the original cast and recently, since Carolee Carmello and Liz McCartney took over. It's fun. It knows what it is and doesn't take itself seriously. And both Louise and Carolee's renditions of "The Winner Takes It All" were beautiful.

melissa errico fan
#39re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/14/05 at 10:51pm

I loved LAST EASTER. You can't compare it to FROZEN. They are too different.

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#40re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/14/05 at 10:51pm

No...in my opinion, Chicago is not a disappointment. There are many times when I thought it was more comedic than the film and seeing the talent live in very entertaining.

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#41re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/14/05 at 10:53pm

Avenue Q...I mean, it's a great show, but after listening to the CD before going to the show, I was a bit disappointed. It wasn't quite as I expected it to be.

Plum
#42re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/14/05 at 10:59pm

Sure I can compare Last Easter to Frozen. They were both written by the same playwright and done by the same director. I could hardly help but compare the two, really.

And while I liked the fact that Last Easter had more dialogue and less monologue than Frozen, otherwise it just wasn't as good. It was a story I'd heard before, and most of its effectiveness was at the end, because you can hardly help but be affected when an actress as good as Veanne Cox acts that out. I've heard people making the same complaints about Frozen, but the story was pretty new to me, and the monologues seemed to have more to do with the story than did those of Last Easter. Updated On: 2/14/05 at 10:59 PM

Eileen2 Profile Photo
Eileen2
#43re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/14/05 at 11:45pm

Phantom of the Opera - everyone told me if you loved Les Miserables, that you'd absolutely be wild about POTO. I loved Les Mis, but I felt POTO was overrated.

Aida and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Both were ok, but I felt I was watching a rock performance then a broadway musical.

Eileen

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#44re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:15am

Mine was Hairspray too. I didn't hate it but with all the hype and Tony awards, I was just expecting something a bit more. Still a fun show though.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

pab Profile Photo
pab
#45re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:18am

Mine would have to "Phantom". I had heard so much about this show after it opened in London. Everyone talked about how fantastic the show was. I sat there during a Wednesday afternoon performance on Broadway and was so bored and disappointed.

I thought that it might have been the day that I saw it. Maybe they were off or maybe I was in a bad mood and something did not click so I gave it another chance and saw it again a few years later. I was again disappointed.

Just last year a friend and I were in New York and they had never seen a Broadway show and wanted to see "Phantom" because they had heard so much about it. It still was boring.

For the life of me I still can't understand how it has lasted for seventeen years.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed "The Producers" and "Hairspray" each of three times that I saw them.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#46re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 5:09am

R E N T

(cturtle cowers in anticipation of blows from the masses)

RIP glebby <3

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#47re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 5:11am

I saw the National Tour of The Producers and was very disappointed. Yeah, it was funny, but it was in no way the greatest musical of the last 50 years or anything. That's what I was expecting to see. It was good, it just wasn't THAT good.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

#48re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 5:13am

I hate to be a joiner, but add me to the Phantom list. I went with my family, and we discovered afterwards that each one of us wanted to leave, but we didn't want to affect or influence the experience of everyone else.

We should have left - early in the show.

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#49re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 6:00am

Pippin...after everyone raved, I was expecting a better book. I think I'm still bitter about that.

Deet: Shira, I Love You!