pixeltracker

Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??

Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??

Steeler Jim Profile Photo
Steeler Jim
#0Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 11:16am

I know this can be a trick answer (neither, dammit!!!), but I'm curious. I personally am looking more forward to Rent, but The Producers was such a big hit (not that Rent wasn't) that I wonder which one has the most buzz. I had zero interest in The Producers when I heard Nicole Kidman was going to be in it, but since she's (thankfully), not, I do want to see it....

Thoughts??

"'Ello. Ow are oo?" - Corky St. Clair

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#1re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 12:06pm

I'm kind of in a catch-22. RENT captured a special place in my heart - something the Producers definitely didn't do, even though I enjoyed it a lot. But, I think as a cinematographic entity, I'm looking forward to The Producers more, because I think it'll be easier to translate to film well. RENT is a lot riskier of an endeavour. I like RENT more, but I'm a lot less apprehensive for The Producers film, if that makes sense.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 3/7/05 at 12:06 PM

timote316
catstagestud Profile Photo
catstagestud
#3re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 12:15pm

Um...I don't care for Uma Thurman so I'm not looking forward to The Producers even though Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane are back...I'll still see it though I'm sure. Rent is risky, true but I hope for the best re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??

www.christopherviolett.com

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#4re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 12:18pm

I've never been a big fan of Rent so definately The Producers.

I agree that it is much less risky, and I think that Rent may not go so well...The original cast is too old...

luvtheEmcee
#5re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 12:21pm

Eh, most of them look young enough. If it doesn't go well, it won't be because of them.

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#6re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 12:28pm

Well at least they have opted for talent...

The choice of director is somewhat...disheartening.

luvtheEmcee
#7re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 12:29pm

*nods in very subtle agreement*

MissNY
#8re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 12:34pm

Definately Rent, I'm very curious how they will translate it to screen. i really hope for a good job. And being able to see the original cast will be great

EvelynNesbit1906 Profile Photo
EvelynNesbit1906
#9re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 12:45pm

Take a look at the pictures of Anthony Rapp at Bingo night. He looks just the right age for Mark with the current hairstyle and weight he's sporting (perhaps it's for the film). Director's filmography aside - and no one can say he's box office poison, btw - I wouldn't underestimate the potential of people as devoted to this material as the OBC to really make something special about this. Well, a few months ago when I was mourning the screenplay I would have underestimated them, but I've gotten much less apprehensive about this project than I used to be.

I think The Professors will be a nice theatrical film, but some of the songs are underwhelming for me. Rent - on the other hand - is a blast all the way through. I actually think it's more cinematic and great material for making a movie musical of depth.

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#10re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 12:46pm

I don't have any sentimental attachment to the Producers so I can watch it and enjoy it. Rent will be another story. :)

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

riv
#11re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 1:23pm

No contest.

The Producers.

LaeloftheLakes Profile Photo
LaeloftheLakes
#12re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 1:27pm

Rent. I'm scared, but that really only adds to the excitement.

"I am special, I am special! Please, God, please, don't let me be normal!" ---Louisa, The Fantasticks
---
---
Intolerant of intolerance.

Leverandon Profile Photo
Leverandon
#13re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 1:31pm

Definitly the Producers.

ikmbway
#14re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 1:39pm

R E N T
i hope it will be my favorite movie!

#15re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 1:52pm

The Producers!! though I have such a love of Rent I think The Producers will be a better movie, the original was great, but with the music and Lane and Broderick ( who happened to be my all time favorite actor pre-producers so i'm a little biased re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To?? ) I can't wait.

That said Rent can't come fast enough either, I'm just worried that the certain something about the energy of Rent live that makes it so special wont translate as well, however I don't agree about the original cast being too old, most of them look young enough and i'm just happy they've gone for talent over star power (*ahem* Uma)

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#16re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 1:59pm

I'd rather watch a movie about wallpaper peeling than "The Producers," so I guess I'll go with "Rent." I'm much more looking forward to the "Mamma Mia" movie with Madonna in '07.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#17re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 1:59pm

Definitely RENT.

THE PRODUCERS is absolutely terrible - so whether it transfers well onto film or not, it will still be terrible because it's so terrible written - and let's not even get into the terrible music and nathan lane's obnoxiousness...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#18re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 2:13pm

The Producers...Even IF they should have placed Brad Oscar in there somewhere - I'm still hoping he shows up. Seeing Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, Roger Bart, and Gary Beach immortalized in those roles is going to be spectacular (and John Barrowman's cameo as well!)

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

Steeler Jim
#19re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 2:37pm

The addition of Will Ferrell to The Producers cast is kind of a catch 22 for me. I think he's VERY funny at times, but he tends to be the same goofy character in everything. I don't see him doing anything different in The Producers, so I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Rent, in my opinion, will be a better movie musical, if only because the source material is so much better.

Steeler Jim
#20re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 2:40pm

Then again, Nathan Lane tends to play the same character in everything, too, so....I guess I'm nitpicking.

The final verdict, I think, is that both will be very good films, but Rent, on the basis of being a gritty film with powerful subject matter, will be noticed more at Oscar time...

LaeloftheLakes Profile Photo
LaeloftheLakes
#21re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 2:42pm

Rent has the ability to hurt me more...the Producers, I think, will be an enjoyable, light, fun romp---exactly like the play. I'm so emotionally invested in Rent, it'll be hard for me to feel ambivalent about the movie. I'll either like it or hate it...and try not to let hating it (if that happens) affect my take on the original play, aka my darling.

"I am special, I am special! Please, God, please, don't let me be normal!" ---Louisa, The Fantasticks
---
---
Intolerant of intolerance.

Steeler Jim
#22re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 2:47pm

I have to admit that I've only seen the Zero Mostel-Gene Wilder movie and wasn't lucky enough to see the show on Broadway. And frankly - I'm not that big of a Mel Brooks fan to begin with.

So - I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by the movie.

And I agree with you, Lakes - it WILL be all-or-nothing with Rent, so Columbus BETTER not screw it up....

luvtheEmcee
#23re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 2:50pm

I'm planning to either love it or hate it. I'd almost rather be really lukewarm about it; love seeing the OBC on the silver screen, but have no particular feelings toward the film. Somehow, it feels like that would just be easier.

bwaybaby891
#24re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 2:58pm

I'm looking foreward to "Rent" more because I know the story better. I'm sure that the producers will be wonderful because of the casting but I'm a rent-head!!!!

"He who falls in love with himself will have no rivals" -Benjamin Franklin

Videos