pixeltracker

Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show

Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show

Broadway Style Profile Photo
Broadway Style
#0Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/20/05 at 11:59pm

I Just re-listened to the OBCR and wow I forgot how beautiful it is....
What does everyone think about this show? Emily and Alice does it get any better? Favorite Song(s)?

"Fidelity is more than mere display, it's what a man expects from life. Fidelity, like mine to Desiree and Charlotte my devoted wife..."

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#1re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/21/05 at 12:03am

ok, this show is BRILLIANT!!!! i listen to the OBCR often. My favorite song is Tunnel of Love, but other great ones are I Will Never Leave You, Who Will Love Me As I Am?, You Should Be Loved, The Devil You Know...the list is endless. I discovered this show in September 2004, saw the show at lincoln center library in December 2004 and LOVED it. I pray every day that Side Show will be at Encores one year with Emily and Alice. I would do ANYTHING, yes ANYTHING, to be in the audience. I would most likely go to all 5 performances. In conclusion, Side Show fvcking rules! re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show

Chrysanthemum62001
#2re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/21/05 at 12:13am

Okay, I have never seen this show, but I absolutely adore this music. It is so beautiful and Alice and Emily are both amazing in it. I would love to see a production of this show. I also love Jeff and Hugh. They sound lovely too. My favorite song is "I Will Never Leave You" and "Who Will Love Me as I Am" but I really do mean it when I say they are all great. I would give anything to see this show.

Oooh, I also love Philip Officer. Gah, what a voice. And the finale when they sing "come look at the freaks before they're antiques. come and them a strong ovation and acclamation but no critiques. see what hollywood seeks. come look at the freaks!" That gives me chills EVERY TIME!

Uh, time to go listen to Side Show!

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

Broadway Style
#3re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/21/05 at 12:15am

AMEN!
I really think that the score can be accurately described as "luscious" (sp?)
My favorites are..'Who Will Love Me As I Am," "I Will Never Leave You," and "More Than We Bargained For" but honestly I love them all.
I would kill to see Emily and Alice do it!!

"Fidelity is more than mere display, it's what a man expects from life. Fidelity, like mine to Desiree and Charlotte my devoted wife..."
Updated On: 3/21/05 at 12:15 AM

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#4re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/21/05 at 12:38am

A beautiful, wonderful show with a gorgeous score and a perfect cast. I believe there are other threads...

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#5re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/21/05 at 12:43am

I think I am one of the only people on here that doesn't care for SIDE SHOW...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#6re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/21/05 at 12:46am

I loved Side Show. It had a lot of flaws, but it was still a great show. I didn't get to see it on Broadway, but I saw the regional premiere in Mountain View, California. Excellent!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#7re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/21/05 at 1:15am

music, yes wonderful. but ugh those lyrics- so so sad.

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

StarL925 Profile Photo
StarL925
#8re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/21/05 at 1:18am

I have never seen the show before, as I see many others haven't...but I absolutely love the music. "Who Will Love Me As I Am" is probably one of the most amazing duets of all times, in my books anyways! heheh

QtKt Profile Photo
QtKt
#9re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/21/05 at 1:21am

I absolutely adore "I Will Never Leave You", it's one of my favorites...

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#10re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/21/05 at 1:46am

Jeff McCarthy and Norm Lewis were both fantastic - but nothing could save those similies.

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#11re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/21/05 at 2:49am

A great show. Such music. Such drama. Such dancing. Such color. I saw it twice when it had its L.A. premiere a few years ago. Stellar peformances from Broadway vets Misty Cotton and Kevin Earley, and from Julie Dixon Jackson. A very rich score, one you can listen to again and again.

DancerGirl16 Profile Photo
DancerGirl16
#12re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/21/05 at 8:57am

I wish I had seen it

I love the song "Tunnel of Love"

When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing. - Moliere

rmposey Profile Photo
rmposey
#13re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/21/05 at 1:43pm

Years ago, before I had become the broadway fiend that I am today, I was browsing around a tiny music shop and chanced to notice the OBC of Side Show. I had never heard of it, had no idea what it was about, but I loved the nifty costumes on the cover. =) Luckily I decided to purchase it and am so glad that I did! I loved it the minute I started listening!

I should have eaten the saw and used the cake to bludgeon my way out - Alfred Hitchcock

apdarcey
#14re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/21/05 at 1:46pm

you should be loved=norm=great

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#15re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/21/05 at 4:21pm

BUMP

You know how I feel about the show! re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show

chess12 Profile Photo
chess12
#16re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/21/05 at 4:53pm

The OBCR introduced me to the voice of Mr. Norm Lewis, for which I will be eternally grateful. To my everlasting regret, I chose to see TRIUMPH OF LOVE instead of SIDE SHOW. ARGH!

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#17re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/21/05 at 4:58pm

Ditto. Love it. I have "The Devil You Know" on my workout mix CD. It gets the blood going!

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#18re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/21/05 at 5:04pm

I just started listening to this show. I love the opening. Ken Jennings makes it creepier than it already is. Emily and Alice are amazing!

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Broadway Style
#19re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/21/05 at 10:42pm

Munkustrap-I am curious as to why you do not like the show?
Also, is there anyone here who actually saw it on Broadway in its original incarnation?

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#20re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/21/05 at 10:44pm

got the cd, hated it.

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#21re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/21/05 at 11:22pm

"...nothing could save those similies."
I have to admit I liked the lyric "I Feel as Grand as the Canyon".

LostLeander
#22re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/21/05 at 11:34pm

Yeah.
The lyrics overshadow the (sometimes) gorgeousness of the score.
And dear, the POWERBELTING!
Wow.

Again, Wow.

Nonplussed with Hugh, and could "Private Conversations" being anymore melodramatic?
No.
Jeff McCarthy IS melodrama, which worked BRILLIANTLY for Urinetown.. but... here?
Eh.

Personally, I think I have too much bloom.

ShineOn
#23re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/22/05 at 12:55am

That Emily Skinner... BOY does SHE suck, huh? Don't even get me started! What a talentless wannabe!!!

Awful. Just AWFUL.

re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show

"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#24re: Can We Please Get Sentimental and Talk About Side Show
Posted: 3/22/05 at 6:09am

Daisy, I had to pick myself up off of the floor!

"Also, is there anyone here who actually saw it on Broadway in its original incarnation?"

6 times.

Videos