pixeltracker

Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?

Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#0Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 8:48am

I hope it will win but I dont know. What with Spamalot and DRS on the list. I really hope Spelling Bee wins the Tony a la Avenue Q.

What do you guys think? Does it even have a chance??

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#1re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 8:55am

Probably going to take Best Score. Spamalot will more than likely be Best Musical.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#2re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 9:03am

Thats what the consensus seems to be:
It will take best score, book, and other little awards while Spam will take Musical and supp. actress (maybe a few more). Another Urinetown/Millie year with these awards. Splitting them up among the worthy contestants.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#3re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 9:08am

Actually, I think the only thing standing in Spelling Bee's way (overall, the most well-crafted show this year and certainly the most original) is backlash from the Avenue Q fiasco (of the out-of-towners voting on a show they discovered they wouldn't be hosting in their cities).
Spamalot is a surefire marketing hit in Duluth and the Tony hinterland voters aren't going to make the same mistake of anointing a show similar to Q when they have their big, fat hit just waiting for the Best Musical Tony.
Which is why I reiterate: look for Bee to take Best Book, Piazza to take Best Score, and Spamalot to walk away with the only statue that matters in Duluth.

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#4re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 9:18am

SPELLING BEE - Book
DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS - Score
and one of the two taking best SHOW - they are by FAR the best 2 musicals of the year!

WickedShopofQ Profile Photo
WickedShopofQ
#5re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 9:29am

i know the producers of both SPELLING BEE and DRS (one perosn) ans she doesnt think either will win. because of AVENUE Q, maybe they will give it to the big show (SPAM) instead of the better one(SPELLING BEE)

...Please understand that it's still strange and frightning...

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#6re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 10:30am

They'll need to push the Tony voters and come up with a really clever marketing campaign aimed at the voters, like Q.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#7re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 10:34am

I can't see BEE taking Score this year. It should absolutely win for it's brilliant Book, but Score I think should still go to DRS.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

popcultureboy
#8re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 10:37am

Honestly, I think the only award Scoundrels has a hope in hell of getting is Best Leading Actor.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#9re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 10:38am

Well as long as SPAMALOT doesn't take them, I'll be fine.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

TheGaIsSilent Profile Photo
TheGaIsSilent
#10re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 10:42am

My prediction is that Spamalot won't take home a single damn Tony.

OK, it's my hope. But it's nice to dream.

JOHN LITHGOW I just realized, your last name is Butz! Both "Norbert" AND "Butz" are in your name! You must have gotten picked on a lot as a child!

popcultureboy
#11re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 10:43am

I think Spamalot is going to take Best Musical, kids, so you're in for a bad night on Tony night.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#12re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 10:47am

Spamalot certainly doesn't deserve many awards, if any. I don't think a musical that has that much disrespect for musical theatre in general, should be awarded the highest prize of the genre. I think I read something the other day saying something like: "Spamalot is the musical for those who don't like musicals". Uck, that's sad.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#13re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 10:48am

I still hope the Tony voters can tell the difference between an actual "musical" and a series of skits with a few "songs".

smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#14re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 10:50am

I think Spamalot will "take" it too, it just certainly does not deserve it. I have not seen Spelling Bee yet, tickets are for early May, but I still think if it opens to absolute raves it has a chance. I think the "Spamalot is awful" contingent is almost as big as the "Spamalot is a lock." But I am expecting finances to win out in the end and yes a very disapointed me on the day after.
I will wait to predict anything else until after I see Bee, its the last one I have not seen. I love the score of DRS and TLITP, but will wait for Bee. (of course I would root for Spelling Bee sight unseen to beat Spamalot in anything)

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.

Caravaggio Profile Photo
Caravaggio
#15re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 10:54am

I also don't think SPAMALOT is going to get the Best Musical Tony, either. Yes, it's wildly popular, but I do think that a lot of people think it's too gimmicky. And none of the principals have made a breakaway performance the way Butz has in DRS.

I'm happy as long as there are brownies in the green room.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#16re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 12:42pm

If SPAMALOT wins the Tony, the Tony Awards will loose all meaning.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#17re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 12:46pm

"I don't think a musical that has that much disrespect for musical theatre in general, should be awarded the highest prize of the genre."

What on earth does that mean? Disrespect for musical theatre? In what way?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

apdarcey
#18re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 12:47pm

i think the only award spamalot should get is featured actress, and i wouldn't mind that going to mcgovern either. if they walk away with nothing i'll be a happy boy.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#19re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 12:49pm

I don't think it's disrespectul to musical theatre at all. In fact those jokes were the funniest in the entire show. If anything it showed great respect to them.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#20re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 12:53pm

I think its a crapshoot this year. SPELLING BEE may get the best reviews, but after AVENUE Q taking last years prize, it may be time for something "bigger."

It's often been said that a large chuck of Tony Voters are regional producers, and are swayed by theatre they anticipate will do well on the road. I'm not convinced any of the shows this year is going to be a huge hit in Ohio.

I suppose that makes SPAMALOT the default winner, though I think the show's success is as much due to its cast as its source material.

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#21re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 12:54pm

I really don't think anything is a lock at this point.

Deet: Shira, I Love You!

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#22re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 12:54pm

Spamalot is embarassingly bad. Shameful. If it wins Best Musical, I will be shocked. DRS and Spelling Bee better be sharing the spotlight this year. Spamalot = one of my least favorite nights in a theater, ever.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#23re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 12:55pm

Infinate, obviously you haven't visited SHOCKHEADED PETER yet.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#24re: Does SPELLING BEE have a chance to win Best Musical?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 12:58pm

Are we even sure what the nominees will be?

Obviously not all of these are going to make the cut:

LITTLE WOMEN
DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS
BROOKLYN
SPAMALOT
SPELLING BEE
LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA
CHITTY
ALL SHOOK UP
GOOD VIBRATIONS

Wouldn't it be wild if something like CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG won? It's definitely the show that would appeal most to that regional producer vote. Though how do you tour with the car?

Videos