pixeltracker

Favorite, and least favorite curtain call.

Favorite, and least favorite curtain call.

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#0Favorite, and least favorite curtain call.
Posted: 4/30/05 at 9:52pm

This is an addition to the previous curtain call thread, in this thread please share you favorite and least favorite curtain calls.

My favorite would have to be when I was in "Rumors" as Ken Gorman. My "wife" and I got the last bow, and we always got a staning ovation, it was awesome.
>I also enjoyed the "Cinderlla" curtain call, when I played Prince Charming.

My least favorite was "Beauty and the Beast". I was cast as Maurice just because of my year, and the bows did not even go like they were supposed to. I bowed after D'Arque(the second solo bow)while chip, Lefou, the wardrobe, and Babette all bowed after me(Babette fourth from last). The last four pepole to bow were: Babette, Lumiere, Belle and Beast. It was just stupid.

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier
Updated On: 4/30/05 at 09:52 PM

MyDreamsRecurring Profile Photo
MyDreamsRecurring
#1re: Favorite, and least favorite curtain call.
Posted: 4/30/05 at 11:13pm

only been in one and i loved it
for bye bye birdie
me and "albert" ran out for the last bow (bye bye birdie)
we were so charming and cutesy it was sick lol

"No two shows are alike in the making. Each show is a living piece of your life in a small unreal world with its own character and integrity; its own new set of memorable experiences and incredible happenings. You begin to love and adapt to its strangeness. Dreams harden into substance. Values come into focus. You wish it would never end. The dream world vanishes like mist before a rising sun; part of you vanishes with it. And back you land in the real world with a thud- fogged, uneasy, jittery, difficult to get along with. There is only one cure. A new show. A new, small unreal world; new visions, experiences, incredible happenings. Again you love it, adapt to it, wish it would never end. But end it does. Another part of you vanishes. That's show business."-Anonymous

apdarcey
#2re: Favorite, and least favorite curtain call.
Posted: 4/30/05 at 11:15pm

my favorite was in charlie brown because the whole cast was so together througout the show!!!

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#3re: Favorite, and least favorite curtain call.
Posted: 5/1/05 at 12:17am

In Musical Comedy Murders I was Marjorie and my sort-of opposite was Ken. It was a boy I had a crush on about a year earlier, and he was/still is an absolutely incredible actor. It was just a lot of fun.

In Applause, there were 4 minor roles who weren't Gypsies (singer/dancers) but weren't prominent enough to be leads or really that featured. There was one girl, me (Petra) and two guys. The two guys were kind of my newest freinds in theatre and it was just really nice to get to bow with 2 friends who I had recently bonded with because of our role-types.

MASH was fun bewing a Bonwit, just curtsying sillily and getting a nice applause.

Least favorite...I guess the ensemble one in Little Shop...it wasn't bad though, I LOVE curtain calls.

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#4re: Favorite, and least favorite curtain call.
Posted: 5/1/05 at 3:59am

Thank goodness I've never had to suffer the indignity of being part of an "ensemble" cast where the director had everyone take their bows together. As an actor, I say shame on any director who refuses to allow individual actors to be recognized for their work. As an audience member, I resent it when I see the whole cast lumped together for a single bow, even if their roles are the same size more or less, because it's only by my applause that I can show my appreciation/delight/admiration for each actor's individual contribution to the production.

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#5re: Favorite, and least favorite curtain call.
Posted: 5/1/05 at 4:45am

I think ensemble bows are perfectly appropriate for a straight play when the roles are of equal size, no indignity about it.

DTBG2
#6re: Favorite, and least favorite curtain call.
Posted: 5/1/05 at 4:55am

hated the curtain call for "The Graduate"

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#7re: Favorite, and least favorite curtain call.
Posted: 5/1/05 at 8:05am

LOVED the 42nd Street curtain call...they just kept on dancing for years!

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#8re: Favorite, and least favorite curtain call.
Posted: 5/1/05 at 9:18am

We had one big cast bow, no individual bows, at the end of Ragtime. I think everyone thought it was too much of a dramatic end.

LyTeMyCanDyI Profile Photo
LyTeMyCanDyI
#9re: Favorite, and least favorite curtain call.
Posted: 5/1/05 at 12:29pm

My school just did Grease. Our curtain call was pretty nice. We came out from the wings, company, teen angel chior, and Johnny Casiono and Vince Fontaine and the likes first, then Patty, and then the couples. I was Marty, so I came out with Sonny, and we were 2 couples before Rizzo and Kenickie, so it was cool. We had Sandy and Danny do their bows last, then Rizzo and Kenickie joined them, then the whole cast joined THEM. Once we were all there we sang the song Grease. It was really nice. We had afull house, and they were all dancing and clapping along with us. On closing night we sang a song we'd written for our director. It was really nice.

Megan Mullally as Karen Walker on Will and Grace: "Tell me more. Tell me more. Like does he have a car?"

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#10re: Favorite, and least favorite curtain call.
Posted: 5/1/05 at 12:58pm

I tend to despise any curtain call where the actors are in character for the curtain call. I think curtain calls should honor the performers, and not be an extenuation of the show.

jigblob Profile Photo
jigblob
#11re: Favorite, and least favorite curtain call.
Posted: 1/31/08 at 8:21pm

I like the ones where they kind of introduce people in the chorus in groups, then all the leads kind of get to bow on their own, then everyone kind of bows together.

I also like it when there is a routine/music during the curtain call. (I don't like how phantom and spring awakening it's like dead silence and they just all bow)

I personally really like the legally blonde curtain call, as lame as that may sound. Wicked's is pretty good too, with like a jazzier version of defying gravity kind of playing throughout.

Josh Freilich
#12re: Favorite, and least favorite curtain call.
Posted: 1/31/08 at 10:40pm

"Jazzier" as in the band jamming on the song.
They also jam on "One Short Day" as the audience exits.

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#13re: Favorite, and least favorite curtain call.
Posted: 1/31/08 at 10:58pm

By far, the most powerful I've seen was at Journey's End.

JulianHookbucks Profile Photo
JulianHookbucks
#14re: Favorite, and least favorite curtain call.
Posted: 1/31/08 at 11:27pm

The Legally Blonde Curtain Call is so much fun. So perfectly coreographed, but you can tell they're really having fun unlike the Young Frankenstein curtain call where they're trying to do Susan's coreography and looking like they can only concentrate on it really hard.

and the Phantom curtain call. A show about amazing music... with amazing music... and then the curtain call has no music... it's so stark and striking... it really makes you focus on the performers and lets them thank the audience for their patronage without much distraction.

that's a really big mic...

EdmundOG
#15re: Favorite, and least favorite curtain call.
Posted: 2/1/08 at 12:32am

To satiate my ego, I'll say my favorites were The Man Who Came to Dinner and Medea. I played Whiteside and Medea, respectively, and it's so nice to have the final bow.

On the flip side of ego, I played Rocky in Rocky Horror, and was stuck in traffic when they were choreographing curtain calls, so they put me first. Look, I know he's not the most important character in the piece, but the dang show's named after me, I should be bowing after Eddie. Dude's got one song.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#16re: Favorite, and least favorite curtain call.
Posted: 2/1/08 at 2:13am

All actors have at least a little bit of an ego and therefore will always want an individual bow over a group bow. I'm sure everyone wants some individual recognition. It's nice to know you're appreciated. I've done two shows where we just had one group bow. The first was Spring Awakening in which I played one of the schoolboys. I thought the leads were cheated of a bow they certainly deserved. The other was Assassins. I played the Balladeer and I felt everyone deserved individual bows, although I can see why an ensemble bow is appropriate for the show. Individual bows couldn't have hurt though.

~Steven

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#17re: Favorite, and least favorite curtain call.
Posted: 2/1/08 at 2:25am

I had an affinity for the Urinetown curtain call where they'd do that crazy dance after their bows. I still think about that and laugh.

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight

Bwayfan4
#18re: Favorite, and least favorite curtain call.
Posted: 2/1/08 at 4:46am

I agree with the Journey's End comment. Incredibly powerful and moving.

Videos